Turtle Tank (anyone keep them?) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
In.a.Box
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I love Snapping Turtle, Use to own 2 12inch snapper from shell to shell about 15-20+ from head to tail tip.

One of my Friend love turtle.
In.a.Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

I have Mr. T. He is a softshell turtle

I love 'em. He has around a 6" carapace right now, and I hope thats where he stays. If its a female, then I have a problem. It would get like 2-3ft then....

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I have Mr. T. He is a softshell turtle

I love 'em. He has around a 6" carapace right now, and I hope thats where he stays. If its a female, then I have a problem. It would get like 2-3ft then....
Id love a softshell ! Im hoping my YBS is a male as they stay much smaller. I dont really want to upgrade the 125 gallon, but if its a female im going to have to.

Pictures of the basking area as requested...

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:40 AM   #19
Dakota7777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I love my turtle tank! I have three red eared sliders, 2 yellow bellied sliders, and a awesome little snapper! I call him Archie! They are all in the same tank (for now). Amazingly enough, my snapper is the calmest out of them all, as far as biting goes (again, for now).
Dakota7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
elwray
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Glad to see a herp board here!

I currently have one RES. 75G tank with a homemade above tank basking area with heat light/UVB. "Big Tony" is about 10 years old now and very friendly.

imgur looks like it's down right now, so I'll post pics later!
elwray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #21
elwray
Planted Member

My RES tank:

It's a 75 gallon aquarium on the bottom. Marineland Magnum 350 canister filter.

The above-tank-basking-area (ATBA) I made from wood, and covered in stick-on vinyl tiles that sort of look like rocks. On the right side, there is a platform sitting approx. 3" above the water surface. Under this, I installed under-cabinet fluorescent lighting to illuminate the side of the tank that would otherwise be shadowed by the ATBA. I have a 1'x1' ceramic tile sitting on the platform.

A dome lamp (used to use this for keeping baby chicks warm out of the incubator!) heats the ceramic tile, and a UVB bulb in a clip-lamp shines on the same spot.

The ramp is a piece of plexiglass attached with hinges to the platform. I siliconed vinyl cabinet/drawer liner to the ramp for added traction. The vines are plastic and from the dollar store.

The two windows are pieces of glass glued into slots I made in the wood.

In hindsight, I should have only made the ATBA the width of the basking area and NOT the whole tank. As it is now, it's just slightly too wide for me to grab it and take it off myself for cleaning the tank. Not to mention it weighs about 40 lbs, which is difficult to carry alone at such an awkward angle!

I also need to come up with a better way of managing the ramp's support. Right now it's just a piece of nylon rope attached to the lighting brace on the top which looks pretty ugly. I'd love to just cut it in half, but I don't think I can because of how much damn glue I used in the glass/wood joints. But it would be nice to be able to clean the tank without pulling off the whole ATBA!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
Clint
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a southern painted turtle in a 55 gallon with some rosy(fathead) minnows. He ate one when I first added them, but has ignored the rest, they have gotten quite large (4 inches +- ).
I try to keep red ramshorn snails in there to help with algae under the spot light, but i swear he has snail radar, the larger ones might last a couple days, but once all of the small ones are gone their time is usually up. Luckily I have a large supply of them (weather i want to or not) I try to keep a good supply of duckweed in his tank as well, but it's not so easy to find around here for some reason.

I have play sand as the substrate, with a couple pieces of driftwood and random rocks for him to scrape on. I use a whisper 40i and a CFS 500 for filtration. I also transplant a lot of the Vallisneria i pull out of my planted tank into his.

I think I need to make an above tank basking area, the uv lights grow algae like mad. and the mineral deposits from keeping the water level a little lower aren't very nice looking. (i have one of those floating basking platforms)
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #23
Acro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

Here are pictures of my Mississippi Map turtle and my Northern Red Bellied Cooter. I am currenlty working on getting them a preformed pond that I will aquascape riparium style. Once it's set up, I will get some pictures of them in their new indoor pond.

Male Mississippi Map

Female Northern Red Bellied Cooter

Last edited by Acro; 01-10-2013 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: .
Acro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

awesome, a herp area.

I have a 2 year old female Cumberland slider (native to middle TN) Found her 2 years ago smaller than a quarter walking across our parking lot at work. There is no water around here so I guess she was maybe picked up by a bird and dropped. Either way I took her home and put her in a 29g. I have since moved her into a 55g. I still have a little work to do to the tank to get it where I want it but that should be done in a week or two and will post some pics when it's all done.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Should be really neat to see in a wk or two.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #26
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Here are some pics of my tank from a few weeks ago, it houses a 2 y/o female cumberland slider.

She will follow you around as you take pictures

Picked up 2 baby yellow belly sliders yesterday, thanks Therese

The little one is brave, doesn't dive into the water when we walk by

Or reach in to touch her shell
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #27
elwray
Planted Member

That tank is awesome! It's like you just picked up a portion of their natural habitat and transplanted it into your home - I bet those are extremely happy turtles!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
That tank is awesome! It's like you just picked up a portion of their natural habitat and transplanted it into your home - I bet those are extremely happy turtles!
Thank you, that's what I was going for. I might set up a 55 tall soon for some hatchlings, I will do the same in that tank if it comes to be.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
elwray
Planted Member

Are the sliders native to your area in TN? I know I have seen plenty of red ear sliders here in NJ, but they're considered an invasive species here.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #30
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwray View Post
Are the sliders native to your area in TN? I know I have seen plenty of red ear sliders here in NJ, but they're considered an invasive species here.

I'm not 100% on the YBS but the cumberland slider is, as the Cumberland river runs through my town. There are also tons of RES in the area.