DIY CO2 questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

DIY CO2 questions

Alright so... I need a little help, ive got airline tubing, check vaulve and bottles to house the yeast and such, the only question is how much of water and yeast do i need for my tank, it is a 40 gallon and im going to use an airstone as my diffuser, any help would be much apperciated, thanks.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

it would not be a good idea to use an airstone as a diffuser... it will dissolve and break up into small pieces all over your tank...
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Rich Guano
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon of yeast for every quart of water. Same as Koolaid! You should be fine with an Ocean spray 3 liter container filled 80% with the water.

What works best for me is to add the sugar to the room temp water in the bottle and shake it till dissolved. gently sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and let it hydrate for 5 minutes. It will begin falling to the bottom and appear to foam on the surface. Then gently rotate the bottle so the yeast mixes with the water.

Last edited by Rich Guano; 11-05-2012 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer the questions
Rich Guano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

DIY CO2 bottles produce a limited amount of CO2, so it really pays off to use a good method for diffusing it into the water. Otherwise, you will usually be very short on CO2. One efficient diffusing method is as described here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...10&postcount=2

I use 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp baking soda, in 2 liters of water. I dump in the yeast, the soda, then the sugar. Fill the bottle up just past where it necks down. Then I invert it with my thumb over the opening and shake it vigorously. Then, carry it over to the tank and connect it to the system. I use two 2L bottles, changing the solution in one every week. This is for a 65 gallon tank, and it gives me very noticeable improvement.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
flc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
One efficient diffusing method is as described here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...10&postcount=2

If you're going that route, why not just stick the tube outlet next to your canister intake? I'm sure others may feel differently, but as far as I'm concerned, the whole point of going DIY is the simplicity- fewer failure points and lower cost.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc1988 View Post
it would not be a good idea to use an airstone as a diffuser... it will dissolve and break up into small pieces all over your tank...
I know the consequences of the airstone so im thinking of shoving a piece of gravel in the end of the tubing and poke small holes around the tubing so it acts like an airstone without the actual air stone

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
DIY CO2 bottles produce a limited amount of CO2, so it really pays off to use a good method for diffusing it into the water. Otherwise, you will usually be very short on CO2. One efficient diffusing method is as described here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...10&postcount=2

I use 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp baking soda, in 2 liters of water. I dump in the yeast, the soda, then the sugar. Fill the bottle up just past where it necks down. Then I invert it with my thumb over the opening and shake it vigorously. Then, carry it over to the tank and connect it to the system. I use two 2L bottles, changing the solution in one every week. This is for a 65 gallon tank, and it gives me very noticeable improvement.
Thank you that was actually very helpful, im thinking of also going the 2 2L bottle route. thanks

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I second the recommendation to use 2 bottles. This makes it infinitely easier to keep c02 levels stable.

I used a hagan mini filter to difuse. I got too much impeller cavitation when I injected straight into a cannister filter.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Thank you all, hoping to get some good O'l Yeast today or tomorrow, thanks

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

The diffusion method is the most annoying part. I'm currently attempting the syringe method until I decide to order a real one
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well the syringe method has been working so far!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
P015
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey ADJ, where did you buy the check valves for the DIY Co2? I know you can order them online, but was wondering if lowes or home depot might carry them? What is the Syringe method to diffusing it Merth?
P015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #13
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I got mine at Ebay. Just search there for Kynar Check Valve. These are very chemical resistant, so CO2 shouldn't bother them. Or, go to US Plastics and do the same search.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
P015
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23369

Quite a few Kynar check valves, which size should I order Hoppy?
P015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

here is a pic of syringe diffuser method: