Does rotala sp. green die from water hardness?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 11-24-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
trckrunrmike
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does rotala sp. green die from water hardness?

I just cant get it to grow. Most of the leaves melted/rotted but some parts are still green. There are new shoots coming out but they're small and quite slow, I read they grow fast which is the opposite of what they're doing right now. I don't know what my hardness is exactly (I have to wait until my friend comes back from HK with the test kit) but I think its high, the LFS said the plant needs low KH and MH. Here are the rest of my tanks specs:

-20 gallon high
-65 watt Coralife Freshwater
-Filstar XP1
-77-79 degrees fahrenheit
-100% Onyx
-9 neons
-5 otos
-4 cherry shrimp with unknown number of fry
-EI dosing method, 50% water change every week.
trckrunrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

The state of the plant as you describe it is not healthy. Once those new buds get a few inches long and the plant is healthy again it should start growing faster.

Most Rotalas don't like an excessive amount of nitrates, so your EI dosing might be causing more harm than good. Try keeping the nitrates around 5-7ppm and the phosphates around 1 ppm for healthy Rotalas. It may be that your water is too alkaline; especially when using Onyx to buffer it even further. Let us know when you get some tests done.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
turtlehead
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

Is it just natural that Rotala don't like high nitrates or is that just your experience with it?
turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead
Is it just natural that Rotala don't like high nitrates or is that just your experience with it?
They just do better with it. They still grow fine in high nitrate, but like any other plant the color isn't the same. I'm becoming a fan of growing plants at a slower rate with medium light.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
trckrunrmike
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just tested my tank and the water is pretty hard GH 11d KH 10d
-20 gallon high, 65 watt Coralife Freshwater, Filstar XP1, Pressurized CO2, 77-79 degrees Fahrenheit, ADA Aquasoil + Powersand, 1 neons, 2 otos, uncountable number of chery shrimp, EI dosing method, 40% water change every week.

*Member of SFBAAPS*
trckrunrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
chiahead
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)

I have grown rotala's in a GH of 20 with no issues. Also, with nitrates in excess of 50ppm. Have you checked you Co2 levels? Also, you may want to look at the substrate compacting. How is the other plants in the tank? Small or stunted new growth tells me it is missing something major to grow. Maybe explain your EI dosing regemine.

chiahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:28 AM   #7
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronT
They just do better with it. They still grow fine in high nitrate, but like any other plant the color isn't the same. I'm becoming a fan of growing plants at a slower rate with medium light.
I agree with less light, but I've done quite well at high levels of NO3 and all species of Rotala. So have a number of folks in our club.

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:15 AM   #8
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

Rotala is one of those plants I just leave alone and it does just fine. Always seemed so hardy to me. Perhaps just give it some time to adjust? Almost weed-like after a week or two. Some people complain about plants that grow too fast but I personally like slightly unkempt growth, makes it look more natural.
mrbelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote