Andrew's 2nd tank - planted spec 2 tank - boraras maculatus & wild tigers arrived :D - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #16
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

sooo I got the tank mostly setup today to check how my filter modifications worked out, the flow is pretty damn low with the ball valve set real tight - but I have never kept a betta so I do not really know what is ideal - though it is WAY less powerful than my spec v right now...

I am letting it run hot in the mid 80's with grimy water change water from my spec v so it can build up some bacteria in the filter media while I wait for substrate, rocks, and plants to arrive... then I will siphon out the water and scape and plant it in a couple of weeks then continue cycling for some time until I get a betta

hmmmm I really need to get the pedestal it is on leveled out haha - oh and I am waiting on my replacement CFL light to come in from amazon
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #17
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

So this thing has been running for 4 days now with a little over a gallon of dirty substrate vacuumed water from my 5 gallon and some treated water... today I added some of the ceramic media from my 5 gallon into the existing bag of that stuff in the spec... so it is pretty seeded - I was surpised my levels were as high as they were in the nitrates especially:

Ammonia: 0.50ppm
Nitrite: 0.0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Looking forward to getting some more goodies in the mail by wednesday or thursday - then it will get scaped and planted, then I'll let it cycle a bit longer for the betta but looks like I am on my way
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
RedseaReefer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to RedseaReefer
Thumbs up nice

this looks really promising iv always wanted to get one for shrimps! what kind of betta are you getting? get a black a purple crowntail!
RedseaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #19
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks man! yeah they would be perfect shrimp tanks but I already have a few in my other tank and I've been wanting a betta and I think this would be a pretty suitable for one of them...

I am still trying to decide what kind of betta to get it is hard to decide haha maybe when I get my scape setup I will figure it out...

so today I got some more packages in the mail... thanks to flowerfishes for the great selection of small seiryu stones & thanks to ryndisher for the nice portion of flame moss

here are a couple pix, I have the flame moss in the tank now just hanging out assisting with the cycle (it will have to deal with the stock LED, I am saving the CFL for the final planting) and I put the rocks in a pot of boiling water that I let cool from boil for a couple minutes because I didn't want any explosions

Old 10-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #20
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

soooooo... I "planted" the tank today (and installed the CFL light) after a visit to the LFS. I also got one nerite snail to hold down the fort until I get a betta.

Here is the list:

Crypt Parva
Crypt Spiralis
Dwarf Subulata
Pennywort
(the moss in the picture of flame moss I got from a member here)

Obviously the tank is FULL of plants (I plan to portion out what I need and add some of them to my other tank) - I am letting them hang out in the tank for today and will remove them and the water when I get the aquasoil and sand in the mail (should be tomorrow).

So hopefully tomorrow I will update with my first scape and I will go ahead and plant and flood tomorrow.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #21
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

doh forgot to post the pix:

that little nerite snail sure perked up when he sniffed out the lil piece of algae wafer I sunk in there for him

also quick question, do you guys think the crypt parva will carpet out effectively?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
PortalMasteryRy
Algae Grower

Awesome tank! I am trying to find an excuse to my wife to own one of these nano tanks. hehe

Also the Crypt Parva is a very slow growing plant. In high light it is prone to getting green spot algae.
PortalMasteryRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
smirkis
Algae Grower

nice work. and good move on the light upgrade. with the stock light those plants would melt within a month lol. if i keep failing with shrimp im gonna get a beta too, maybe a pair. can't wait to see your tank come together!
smirkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #24
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the comments guys!

sooooo scaping and planting this tank was kinda stressful due to its cramp size and my newbie status.

As it stands I am not happy with the background planting... overall the foreground and general scape is good minus some fine detail with the top layer of congo sand to be ironed out and some sloping adjustments.

I spent over an hour and a half messing with the plants in the back but ended up pulling all my pennywort and these ludwigia stems I got from a member here today (c campbell - thanks for the plants, the petite anubias is so cool). I needed to step away from the tank and ruined a couple stems of plants from letting them dry up while messing around with the tank.

Tomorrow I will decide to either leave it as is except adding some more flame moss in the background AND/OR replacing the crypt spiralis with my dwarf sub (which I am inclined to do, the crypt is just a bit too large for the setup I feel).

Then I think I will cut up some sections of penny wort to float on the top because this will be a betta tank and they like overhead cover.

Finally if some of these ludwigia stems bounce back I might plant them in the background - tomorrow will tell.

Besides that... here are some pictures, you can see I plopped my bounty of spare plants in my other tank for the morning rematch

Yeah, I will assume by tomorrow the filter will clear up most of the haziness in the tank... sorry for the quality of the pictures

Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha yet another update, I was still awake messing around on the computer and etc and decided to snap a few pix of the tank - after I decided to redo the background plants (that big crypt had to go) but yeah, it is pretty cleared up now...

lemme know what you think of the arrangement as it is now after getting my OCD on this evening

soooo it is three stems of a ludwigia & dwarf sub in the background, crypt parva & anubias petite in the left foreground, then some dwarf hairgrass in the foreground - finally pennywort floating up top for the betta to be.

oh and is it true that aquasoil causes strong ammonia spikes? if so how long do you think I would be dealing with that? I guess the tank is close to cycled given my last couple tests but I don't want to put any fish in the tank soon if that aquasoil is gonna flare up ammonia (though it might be good for a lil while to feed the bacteria I guess).

but yeah, personally I like the scape - I guess it just needs some touch up with the sloping and the congo sand dispersed a bit better... and I'd have to say I feel like the tank needs some shrimp now that it is here and ready, haha - I might have to see if the betta I end up getting can tolerate a trio of harmless shrimps
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #26
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

finally cleared up real nice

later I test it to see just how high my ammonia spiked from the aquasoil
Old 11-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #27
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

This is looking great! what betta did you decide on? they are neat fish for sure, I am partial to crowntails.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

probably a crowntail of some coloration, not sure yet - gonna have to let the tank stabilize for like 3 or 4 weeks so I have time to decide
Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #29
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

so I am indecisive about stocking this tank...

I have been planning just one crowntail betta and nothing else, so that is my first option...

alternative would be:

a small group of chilli rasboras (3-5?)

or

a small group of celestial pearl danios (3-5?)

both of those options would include a small colony of shrimp (probably CRS)

what do you guys think?????
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #30
sayurasem
SCAPEr

That table need to be dedicated to the tank only haha. So much cleaner!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote