Affordable CO2 sensor?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Affordable CO2 sensor?

So I stumbled upon this CO2 sensor manufacturer by googling.
I wrote to them explaining our hobby and we could use a sensitive sensor to turn on and off our CO2. I got a reply from them. See if this could work out. My main concern is the error range.

It uses infrared to read CO2 in the atmosphere unlike the less reliable chemical reaction sensors we're used too.

Quote:
Thanks for the interest and inquiry.
We measure the concentration of CO2 in water for example by measure the head space gas.
This make use of Henrys gas law regarding concentration in air and liquid.
The measurement are made via a space cup or a gas permeable membrane.
You could do this using a simple k30 sensor;
http://www.co2meter.com/collections/...-sensor-module
I’m not familiar with the operation of aquarium but 30 PPM of CO2 in water sounds extremely low for water standing a state of equilibrium.

Regards,
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

very interesting!
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

There must be a relationship between ppm in the water, and ppm in the air trapped above the water. I assume the partial pressures of the CO2 would be equal, but what would the relationship be between the two ppm's?

Last edited by Hoppy; 11-04-2012 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: add illustration
Hoppy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
There must be a relationship between ppm in the water, and ppm in the air trapped above the water. I assume the partial pressures of the CO2 would be equal, but what would the relationship be between the two ppm's?

Given this diagram, I would imagine the CO2 levels would be the same as in the water.

For example, in the case of CO2 injection, the levels of CO2 in the water are higher. CO2 will off gas from the water into the atmosphere and into the bell shaped jar. When the levels of CO2 in the jar reaches the same level as the water, then it will not increase anymore.

Of course, CO2 will be diffusing from the water into the atmosphere as well as into the jar.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #5
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Oh, there is a difference between ppm in air and in water. Read the text below the calculator.
http://www.lenntech.com/calculators/...er-million.htm

I'll have to study it to get the math. That was my confusion when I wrote to the manufacturer.

So I can hook this sensor to an arduino (in side a drop checker or breather bag) and have the arduino do the math for water (by weight) and control the solenoid to get the proper co2 concentration.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #6
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Given this diagram, I would imagine the CO2 levels would be the same as in the water.

For example, in the case of CO2 injection, the levels of CO2 in the water are higher. CO2 will off gas from the water into the atmosphere and into the bell shaped jar. When the levels of CO2 in the jar reaches the same level as the water, then it will not increase anymore.

Of course, CO2 will be diffusing from the water into the atmosphere as well as into the jar.
As I understand it, we use the term "ppm", but, really, that's technically totally inaccurate - we do *NOT* aim for 30 parts per million. And the CO2 solubility of water is far less than that of air.

And that's as much as I know about water chemistry, and I'm sure I explained it badly. But there are some posts on it, written by people how actually know what they're talking about.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Sotty
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am intrigued by this. Would be nice to finely have a better handle on what the actual CO2 concentration was in the water.
Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

The 30 ppm stems from the kh ph chart that been passed around aquarists

I'll have to find the exact definition somehow. Well either way I'll just read atmospheric co2 inside a permeable container and not worry about math co2 in the water.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is an interesting gizmo that can be used for lots of things but for me it is not going to be an affordable option. It is not a stand alone item to plug in. It needs several other things before we can stick it in to measure the CO2 in tanks. Those other items will run the price way beyond the level most will pay. With mounts, power supply and connections, I see at least $200. With equipment to read concentrations in water rather than air as this is designed it will be out of my range for sure.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
This is an interesting gizmo that can be used for lots of things but for me it is not going to be an affordable option. It is not a stand alone item to plug in. It needs several other things before we can stick it in to measure the CO2 in tanks. Those other items will run the price way beyond the level most will pay. With mounts, power supply and connections, I see at least $200. With equipment to read concentrations in water rather than air as this is designed it will be out of my range for sure.
Yeah but compared to ph controller ( not accurate) or a scientific water co2 sensor, it's a steal.

The price is closer to $130 I think.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
Darkblade48

I am curious as to why a pH controller would not be accurate (I assume due to probe calibrations, etc)?

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:

But, 30 ppm of CO2 dissolved in water isn't in equilibrium with 30 ppm of CO2 in air. My education is lacking in this field, so I have no idea how to even start to solve this.

Air can have a varying amount of CO2 in it. If it is .03% CO2, it is 300 ppm, but water exposed to that air will contain more like 3 ppm of CO2. If the ppm in the water in equilibrium with the air above the water is a near constant percentage of the ppm in the air, this is an easy problem, but Murphy's Law seems to dictate that it isn't anywhere near a constant percentage.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
I am curious as to why a pH controller would not be accurate (I assume due to probe calibrations, etc)?
Same reason not to to use tank water in a drop checker. The ph will be affected by other things besides co2 throughout the day like rocks, substrate, driftwood. We're not dealing with an empty tank of water.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Very intriguing M!

Quote:
If the ppm in the water in equilibrium with the air above the water is a near constant percentage of the ppm in the air, this is an easy problem, but Murphy's Law seems to dictate that it isn't anywhere near a constant percentage.
Let's hope it's Henry's law, not Murphy's law that applies here!

My concern would be the speed of response... if the CO2 rises in the water, how fast will it equalize in the (non-moving) air space and turn off the solenoid?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Darkblade48

Quote:
But, 30 ppm of CO2 dissolved in water isn't in equilibrium with 30 ppm of CO2 in air. My education is lacking in this field, so I have no idea how to even start to solve this.

Air can have a varying amount of CO2 in it. If it is .03% CO2, it is 300 ppm, but water exposed to that air will contain more like 3 ppm of CO2. If the ppm in the water in equilibrium with the air above the water is a near constant percentage of the ppm in the air, this is an easy problem, but Murphy's Law seems to dictate that it isn't anywhere near a constant percentage.
So it is an issue with the rate of diffusion, but also the solubility of CO2 in the water?

I'm a microbiologist, not a chemist (though I have a minor, haha). Perhaps we need to get a chemist on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Same reason not to to use tank water in a drop checker. The ph will be affected by other things besides co2 throughout the day like rocks, substrate, driftwood. We're not dealing with an empty tank of water.
Aha, I don't know why I missed this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.