any one scape with anacharis?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

any one scape with anacharis?

anacharis is one of the more common plants you can find almost anywhere that sells plants yet, i've never seen any of the more skilled scapers use these. I've had them in the past but it was back when i had no clue what was going on and they all melted away, now im debating wether i should try this plant or not. what's your opinion?
ddrfreak_tung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I had some narrow leaf anacharis for a while but it grew too fast in my high light set up with DIY CO2. I trimmed it often and replanted the tops then one day I just lopped it all off half way without replanting the tops and it died away.
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I use it in my community tank, my African dwarf frogs love sitting on it. It's a low light tank so it doesn't grow out of control. Just have it covering a corner of the tank to hide components.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Rene02
Algae Grower

I have some native anacharis in an experiement tank that I had set up over the summer... it is is dirt, in a 5 gallon tupperware container in my room. Its only light is the sunlight from my window. the container also hosts some valisnaria nana, dwarf duckweed, and a bit of watersprite, as well as various little insects, and 4 guppy fry... it's good for absorbing nitrates, but I wouldn't suggest it for use in an aquascape that you would care about, asit can grow a little out of control under prime conditions.
Rene02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

i was currious since many stem plants also grows like wild fire, but they're still being utilized. What is it about the anacharis that people seem to skim over vs other stems. Are they just not visually appealing?
Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Miira
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I killed mine with H2O2 during a BBA outbreak, but I was still a planted tank newb. I liked it fine when I had it, but it required constant trimming.
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

im currently deciding wether i should use anacharis or not in a future scape and i cant decide. Personally i love trimming my plants, tells me im doing something right lol. I've tried googling anacharis scape and nothing ever comes up, just mainly pics of stems.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default You don't find anacharis messy?

I always have leaves dropping off & littering the bottom of my tank. It covers up the substrate, so it's a bit of an eyesore.

What kind of fish/other critters were you planning to keep in your AQscaped tank?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There are several related species. Many are more temperate zone, not so tropical. This makes them a bit tricky to use in the tropical temperature tanks. If you can keep the temperature down, or use one of the heat tolerant species, go for it!

It is good in a quarantine tank, with no substrate it gives the fish a place to hide, and is pretty tolerant of fish meds. Good nitrogen sink.

When I put it in the pond with goldfish they stripped it clean down to bare stems. So, if you can get enough of it, or rotate it in and out before it reaches the 'bare stem' condition, it is good food for most fish that eat plants.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Most of my fish would strip the leaves off the anacharis & within a week it will look like a corn cob.

Even when they're stripped like that, the leaves will grow back, but just UNSIGHTLY.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

so is it mainly just a problem of fish choice? i just have cherries in there so they wont bother it. It was my first plant i ever got, but now i just stay away from it and i dont even know why. It kinda feels like a once you get an ada tank you really dont want to go back to the 10g walmart tank...not that there's anything wrong if you use a walmart tank, lol dont want to offend anyone.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #12
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

Petsmart scapes with anacharis, haven't found too many others.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #13
ddrfreak_tung
Planted Tank Obsessed

x.x lol. someone needs to do an amazing scape with anacharis.

i totally forgot to ask, how come you guys dont scape with anacharis? is it due to other place choices, how it looks? what? it seems we all start out with it til we find something else.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my experience, anacharis has been a really forgiving plant. It's great for beginners for that reason, I think, but it is so forgiving that once you get to the point where you're keeping a really stable, well-conditioned tank, it can get out of control, and requires maintenence to keep in check.

I probably wont' stop using it for a long while, because I do like how it looks, and it makes a good filler for what I have, but if it ever gets too out of control, I can easily imagine giving it up in favor of something less prolific.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote