Is anyone an instructor/admin at a college or university? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #31
rrastro
Planted Member
 
rrastro's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: El Cerrito, CA
Posts: 276
Default

+1

If you are really that into MMORPGs maybe you should go camp out on WoW's (Blizzard) doorsteps, literally or figuratively, until you can get an entry level job there. If you are dedicated and persistent you can move up the ranks into a position that pays better and is more fulfilling for you professionally.
__________________
Easing my toes in the water
SFBAAPS Member
rrastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #32
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mt prospect
Posts: 905
Default

"I don't really need another. I HAVE been trying, honestly--I could have dropped everything, slept away my Wednesday afternoons, and forged my hours sheet. I'm trying to be honest about this, and I feel somewhat punished for it, plus the threat of "not having a final paper up to par" is just sort of killing my soul a bit."
-do you really feel that you will be punished for being HONEST?

or do you feel you will be punished for not doing what was asked of you?

or do you feel you will be graded accordingly to how to how close you came to meeting the expectation?

often times people use words such as "punished" or "unfair" only when they fail to meet the expectation, seldom do these words pop up when their work meets the expectation.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Silmarwen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 423
Default

Aah, if only it were that easy, haha. I honestly don't know what sort of job I could take in Blizzard that they would just give me as an entry-level thing that's not actually game design. (Although if I could influence that stupid battlenet system's development/use, I would. Stupid... nrgh. Battlenet=why I'm not playing DiabloIII.)

...Aaaaanyway. I'd love the idea of doing something for myself, going into business as a web designer or something, but I don't feel like I have the skills to do anything like that.

I've also been told that companies will sometimes make positions for people who demonstrate their value, but the very notion sounds somewhat presumptuous, to just go up to someone and say "You need me."

...I am in no way ever going to be a marketing executive...
__________________
"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.


10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Silmarwen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
"I don't really need another. I HAVE been trying, honestly--I could have dropped everything, slept away my Wednesday afternoons, and forged my hours sheet. I'm trying to be honest about this, and I feel somewhat punished for it, plus the threat of "not having a final paper up to par" is just sort of killing my soul a bit."
-do you really feel that you will be punished for being HONEST?

or do you feel you will be punished for not doing what was asked of you?

or do you feel you will be graded accordingly to how to how close you came to meeting the expectation?

often times people use words such as "punished" or "unfair" only when they fail to meet the expectation, seldom do these words pop up when their work meets the expectation.
No, I do not feel like my honesty itself is being punished. However, the situation gives the impression that, while I could have probably faked my time sheet and nobody ever been the wiser, that she will look at my paper now, knowing that I "didn't put the effort in", and grade it based on what she thought I did for it, when in all likelihood I will put more effort into this than into many of my other long papers (7 pages in a night once, which got an A and a comment telling me it was "very well thought-out and organized").

I'm afraid that, had I forced my paper and said I finished my 15 hours (or even forged an extra hour or two on top), that she would go "Okay, she put her effort in, it's B grade work." and that be the end of it.
While, having informed her of the situation, and being unable to complete the hours, she will look at my paper and say "She didn't plan well, she is incompetent, and if she had done all of her hours, this might have been A-quality work, but since she didn't do everything she could, it's only a C."
__________________
"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.


10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #35
c_gwinner
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
c_gwinner's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 534
Default

If you want to do something with software development or web design why not apply that and do some researching and learning on your own. You've at least learned how to apply yourself and learn new things from your college courses and if its truly something you want to do apply yourself and strive for it. Not all the software developers went to college to learn how to do it. There are a ton of people that have learned how to write code and develop software from the internet. If its really what you want then go for it and apply yourself, gotta start somewhere and sometimes thats starting from the bottom up.
__________________
20 gallon
2.5 Sparta

Canon Pimp Club #094
c_gwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #36
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Silmarwen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_gwinner View Post
If you want to do something with software development or web design why not apply that and do some researching and learning on your own. You've at least learned how to apply yourself and learn new things from your college courses and if its truly something you want to do apply yourself and strive for it. Not all the software developers went to college to learn how to do it. There are a ton of people that have learned how to write code and develop software from the internet. If its really what you want then go for it and apply yourself, gotta start somewhere and sometimes thats starting from the bottom up.
The internet got me where I am as far as my HTML/CSS skillz go. I started in on PHP, but I had no application for it. I find myself incredibly frustrated learning things when I don't have an actual problem to solve with it. CSS came easily when I needed to style a single-page web profile without frames (this was a while ago, when frames were actually, you know, used), but I haven't been able to find an application for PHP, so I can't go beyond linking web pages with it.

As for programming, a high-school C++ class taught me everything I know, and I've since been told "That crap is useless, learn [insert their language of choice here]." But again, I have no real application for it, so... I'm not imaginative, and I hate those little "challenges" because they're good practice, but not actually useful for anything.

I know I sound like I'm just making excuses (partially because I am, to an extent), but I just don't have much motivation for anything lately.
__________________
"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.


10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #37
vashnic
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
The internet got me where I am as far as my HTML/CSS skillz go. I started in on PHP, but I had no application for it. I find myself incredibly frustrated learning things when I don't have an actual problem to solve with it. CSS came easily when I needed to style a single-page web profile without frames (this was a while ago, when frames were actually, you know, used), but I haven't been able to find an application for PHP, so I can't go beyond linking web pages with it.

As for programming, a high-school C++ class taught me everything I know, and I've since been told "That crap is useless, learn [insert their language of choice here]." But again, I have no real application for it, so... I'm not imaginative, and I hate those little "challenges" because they're good practice, but not actually useful for anything.

I know I sound like I'm just making excuses (partially because I am, to an extent), but I just don't have much motivation for anything lately.
I was always told that, upon entering college, either have a good idea of what you enjoy and want to do for the rest of your career and go for that, or if you don't know, get a degree that is in high demand (health related/comp sci/engineering) and fund your eventual fun stuff with the resulting job.

Most anthropology majors I knew stayed in academia, either in the same field or using their bachelors as a way to get into graduate school in a different field. Or got jobs unrelated (waitress/etc.). XD

Could you take a programming class or two at your uni? Or maybe fiddle around in designing simple app games using free software on your own? I know many game companies have hired modders or map creaters without necessarily much or any university experience in development.
vashnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #38
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pflugerville, Tx
Posts: 4,254
Default

Reading through this tells me what I have often thought. Too many people accept that they should go to college, get a degree and live happily ever after.
Sounds like it is time to really take a close look at life. Getting stressed to breaking by something as simple and non-threatening as a college course does nothing to prepare you for real life!
Get a job which you have to keep and work for a tyrant for a few years and then try college again. It will be with a much better idea of what you CAN do when you must.
College degrees and the easy life should not be given. They should be earned!
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #39
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Silmarwen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashnic View Post
I was always told that, upon entering college, either have a good idea of what you enjoy and want to do for the rest of your career and go for that, or if you don't know, get a degree that is in high demand (health related/comp sci/engineering) and fund your eventual fun stuff with the resulting job.

Most anthropology majors I knew stayed in academia, either in the same field or using their bachelors as a way to get into graduate school in a different field. Or got jobs unrelated (waitress/etc.). XD

Could you take a programming class or two at your uni? Or maybe fiddle around in designing simple app games using free software on your own? I know many game companies have hired modders or map creaters without necessarily much or any university experience in development.
So. Funny story. I had a computer science minor for two whole semesters.

But I flunked one course entirely because they had us programming in binary. Legit, typing in ones and zeroes, translating binary integers to signed integers and 1's compliment and 2's compliment and all sorts of insane stuff. Questions on tests like, "What is the 8-bit 2'sComp way of writing the number 37?" and "Add 01011101 to 11010010 and give the answer in Hex."

After I took an incomplete in one class and failed "Fundamentals of Computer Organization (Binary-class)", I gave up. Which sucked, because I struggled through a college algebra course in order to actually get into the prereq for the minor in the first place (Intro to Java, which I aced...) and I wasted so much time and money on it...
__________________
"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.


10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #40
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aquaticz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 639
Default

I know two people that appeared as though they were going no where. The first recently got his first bonus.....one million dollars! I knew this kid his whole life..... He was in college for seven years before my buddy ( his dad) told him to get off the freebe wagon. It was within one year and bam
! He hits it big - why. Because he worked his butt off for free in the beginning and was lucky!

The second did not work for 15 years, drank and played video games. He now makes upward of 200 K a year. They both work in San Francisco for game developers.

True and amazing..for both it was who they knew and being in the right place at the right time. Work for free if you have to for a few months, let a perspective employer see what you have to offer.

I need to hire some people myself. I look for energetic people that have good people skills and no major monkeys ( drugs , depression etc). I really would rather train a person than have to re- teach one, as it is much easier to mold than reshape. Having said that I think you can be a star if you want it and are willing to work it.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Regards,
Aquaticz

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #41
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru
 
Bahugo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago-area
Posts: 3,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
So. Funny story. I had a computer science minor for two whole semesters.

But I flunked one course entirely because they had us programming in binary. Legit, typing in ones and zeroes, translating binary integers to signed integers and 1's compliment and 2's compliment and all sorts of insane stuff. Questions on tests like, "What is the 8-bit 2'sComp way of writing the number 37?" and "Add 01011101 to 11010010 and give the answer in Hex."

After I took an incomplete in one class and failed "Fundamentals of Computer Organization (Binary-class)", I gave up. Which sucked, because I struggled through a college algebra course in order to actually get into the prereq for the minor in the first place (Intro to Java, which I aced...) and I wasted so much time and money on it...
So you failed because you did not study the classwork assigned? You signed up for a class that was a Binary class, did you expect different course material? That's like taking Calculus and not expecting to do calculus.

Same issue you are having complications with this class after they laid out what was expected in the syllabus on day one? The instructor said on day one if you didn't have time take it at a later date... Even if it was due nov 28 you are talking a little over a hour a week. Everybody says the instructor is easy, you said all you do is talk about Harry Potter in class, so you have one actual assignment where the instructor gives you the whole semester and you are having issues with it? If you are on the forums you clearly have free time. In a whole semester you couldn't request a day or two off of work if you are truly that busy?

It's one thing to complain about a horrible instructor, it's another to be to lazy to do the required course work that is described in the syllabus on day one... you had a whole semester to make preparations. That is nobodies fault but yourself.

Sorry, I am in college and my biggest pet peeve is when students complain about things that were told to them on day one and try to wiggle out of it. You knew what was expected, it has been your choice not to do it (or withdraw).
__________________
My dirty journal
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
mscichlid
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
mscichlid's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delta Quadrant, MD USA
Posts: 577
Default

It sounds to me that you find all the negative in order to avoid actually having to apply yourself. It takes hard work, dedication, deprivation and focus to achieve any goal that you have set for yourself.

What is your 3 month goal?
What is your 6 month goal?
What is your 1 yr goal?
What is your 5 yr goal
What is your 10 year goal?

Once you set goals, you will always be on the right path to getting to wherever you want to be.
__________________
<img src=http://pt-vbseo.plantedtankllc.netdna-cdn.com/forums/avatars/mscichlid.gif?type=sigpic&dateline=1332291129 border=0 alt= />
mscichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #43
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Denham Springs, La
Posts: 759
Default

Sil, It seems you are getting a few negative responses now..just realize most people don't like "whiners". It seems to me you are getting close to graduation and maybe having alot of jitters about what are you going to do with the rest of your life?

I don't know how old most of your responders are but I'll give you the perspective of someone that is in their 40's and has been working for the same company for over 20 yrs.

I fell into the category of not knowing what I wanted to do with my life when I went to college (actually I did I wanted to move to the florida keys and work for a company called I believe c-quest who at that time was pioneering breeding clown fish for the aquarium industry) however having children and getting married made that impossible and I ended up dropping out with less than a yr to go thinking I would return later. Still hasn't happened.

As I said I have worked for the same company (several changes of ownership) and still don't like my job most days. Needless to say I have worked at every position within the company and now have a partial ownership. If I can offer any advice at all it would be decide what you want to do and enjoy doing and just start and work you r way up the ladder. Looking back you will find life much more fulfilling if you follow this advice.

As far as college degrees go we look at them as the perspective employee has actually stuck with something and finished it making them a better option for hiring as they actually tend to follow-thru and complete a task. This is rather broad and doesnt apply to everyone but for the most part it works.

Also look at where you want to live...I couldnt survive on my salary if I lived in say NYC but here in La I make a decent living, own my house drive new cars, eat out whenever we feel like it and generally have nice things. Its all about cost of living My 2k sq ft house would probably cost twice as much somewhere else if not more, heck in Ca for instance it would probably be closer to 5 times as much.

Just realize yes life isnt always fair, throws lots of curves at you, and generally you get beat up more often than you win, but if you perservere (sp), work hard and go after what you want you will most likely come out ahead in the end
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #44
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Silmarwen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 423
Default

Thanks for the encouragement, those of you who have done so. Things are marginally better for the moment, but I'm pretty sure that's because I've hit some sort of hysterical nirvana point, where the panic has triggered enough endorphin production that I think everything will be okay

Still don't know what's going to go on after college, but I literally can do nothing at this point except plough through schoolwork, throw every last cent I have at my overdue tuition bill, and wait for my graduation audit to get back to me. A friend just informed me of a new coffee shop opening up on the other side of campus, so I'm going to go throw myself at the window over and over until they let me in to beg for a job. I'll even bring them lattes so they can see how much I know about coffee. Lattes have coffee in them, right? Anyway...
__________________
"Aquariums are like science, art, and hypno-therapy, all rolled into one," I insisted.
"You're not putting a hundred gallon tank in the living room," my roommate replied.


10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #45
MCHRKiller
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MCHRKiller's Avatar
 
PTrader: (41/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 827
Default

Take it from someone who has been there. I have had more career aspirations over the past 9 years since HS graduation than I care to admit. It is probably why I got a certificate in Phlebotomy, went 3/4 through a program to become an RN, took an apprenticeship and became a licensed tattoo artist, and several other ventures later have wound up as a mental health counselor/professor. You need to take time for yourself and find what you aspire to do...pouring money down the crapper with a degree you dont really want is not going to help you in the end. Working at McDonalds is a more productive short term goal than that. Do it long enough...the store manager salary isn't terrible I did that too along the way. Hopefully that coffee house is a good experience for you...it may give you some perspective anyway. Best of luck to you
__________________

150G|100G|50G|20G|10G|10G

~Jenn
MCHRKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012