What 3 species of plants would you choose for a 30g tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
SJInverts
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

What 3 species of plants would you choose for a 30g tank?

Hi Everyone,

What three species of plants would you choose if you were about to scape a 30g or 29 tank medium light tank w/pressurized co2? One background plant, one midground plant, one foreground plant.

I understand that this is very subjective and everyone will have various opinions, but I want to know what those opinions are.

I have a friend that is planning on setting up a planted tank in the next few days and would like to use 3 species of plants for his tank. He said 5 at the very most.

If you have any pictures or links that I could give forward to my buddy that would be great.

He doesn't want to do a iwagami type aquarium per se. But wants the aquarium to be stunning in its simplicity.
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
SJInverts
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

My suggestion was:

sunset hygro or bacopa monnieri (background)
l. vietnam (midground)
hydrocotyle sp. Japan (foreground)

Let me know if you agree/like my suggestion or have other plants that you would substitute.

I suggested these plants in part because I can offer them to my buddy since I already have these plants in some of my tanks.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

some val americana, crypt wendtii, ludwigia repens as a colorful filler. water lettuce as a floater.

edit: i suggest these, because they grow easy for me in hard water. i don't know how your params are or how much your friend wants to be in his tank... but whatever grows steady and is hardy. help him/her build a little confidence with some prolific plants that are hard to kill.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJInverts View Post
Hi Everyone,

What three species of plants would you choose if you were about to scape a 30g or 29 tank medium light tank w/pressurized co2? One background plant, one midground plant, one foreground plant.

I understand that this is very subjective and everyone will have various opinions, but I want to know what those opinions are.

I have a friend that is planning on setting up a planted tank in the next few days and would like to use 3 species of plants for his tank. He said 5 at the very most.

If you have any pictures or links that I could give forward to my buddy that would be great.

He doesn't want to do a iwagami type aquarium per se. But wants the aquarium to be stunning in its simplicity.
Hi SJInverts,

I've discovered that there are three types of planted tank: low maintenance; medium maintenance; and high maintenance. Here is the question for you, how much maintenance does he want to do?

If low maintenance I go with Crypts, Bolbitis; Anubias, Blyxa, and Java Ferns with no 'stem' plants. If medium maintenance I will add one or two stem plants to the low maintenance mix. If high maintenance it all pretty much stem plants.

Medium maintenance

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote