Marineland LED's
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
ian48
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Marineland LED's

Hey guys,
New to the forum and I have been researching these lights for quite some time and continually come across mixed reviews. I'm talking about the double bright by Marineland and the Reef Capable lights.
For about three weeks now I have been thinking about starting up a 40g breeder tank, but I have been on the fence about it because of lighting. I found out about these lights a while ago and a few days ago i went into my local fish store and was talking to one of the employees there. He is usually fairly knowledgeable and he told me to go with either the double brights or the reef capable set up as he recommended both of them highly. I will be running high light plants in the tank and I was hoping to get some feed back from you wise men of the waters as to wether or not I should go with these lights and if so how many. Any feed back is greatly appreciated. Thank you
ian48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

Welcome to the forum!

You won't be able to achieve high light with Marineland products.

Check out Finnex, a forum sponsor. They carry fixtures that could better suit your needs.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (16/100%)

Yup. Check out my 11.4 gallon tank in my sig. Started out with the marineland led light, and quickly returned it.

High light? Get a quality light, co2 setups and some ferts; and everything will fall in line.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
ian48
Algae Grower

Should I attempt to go with the LED by finnex or go with their fluorescents?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
ian48
Algae Grower

BitFUUL your tank is impressive. Very clean my good man.
Well I was just going through the forums and saw someone was posting on what light they should get as well and i saw this.
http://www.fishneedit.com/metal-halide.html
Any advice on if this should go over the LED?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #6
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've heard the LED's start burning out pretty quickly on these marinelands, Plus for the money they are not very bright.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #7
fishwater
Planted Member

I've been running the 36" marineland LED for plants for 3 months now and have been very happy with it. It seems to be providing me with more than enough light and coverage on my 46g bowfront. The integrated timer is a plus, (unless power goes out then it resets) I can't remember what the PAR amounts were but I'm sure if they aren't in the PAR sticky then they are somewhere on these forums.
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

Note that the Marineland Double Bright fixture shorter than 36" isn't really powerful enough for anything other than low light on a standard aquarium. You'll want to ignore anything shorter than that.

I have several Marineland fixtures and, nope, no burnouts in more than three years. But they won't work for your purposes.

You'll want to check out Finnex or consider DIY LEDs if you want to go that route.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
40g, led, lights, marineland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.