Sfbaaps - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (387/100%)

You want some of the rarer plants, AFA is cool. Neptunes have come a long way and they're the best in the South Bay atm.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #32
KFryman
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

They have a sweet staff as well, really informative and they have nice display tanks. Have you seen the massive anubias in one of their plant tanks?

I know on AFA's website their plants are a bit cheaper as well as their Aquasoil, so I may have to plan a trip there sometime. I here all this hype, even people out of state, about it so why not go? And I also want to see some of the rarer plants.
KFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #33
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Albany is a good store for plants and fish. They quarantine the fish before sale.

Looking forward to meeting all the new members.

Up in my area (October meeting location) the fish stores are not all that great.
There are several stores that are great for rocks, though!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #34
kingmonroe
Algae Grower

I like Neptune's, too. Great fish and plant selection. Dolphin Pet Village has a bigger selection of equipment, but their staff wasn't too knowledgeable about the Walstad Method. Wide variety of fish and plants, too. I went to Aquatic Life in Sunnyvale, but not many plants. Not a high turn around rate on the fish either so selection is feast or famine. I haven't been to King Aquarium, yet. But I hear it is a good place. Petco and Petsmart have some plants and the more popular fish, but good luck finding good help. Oh and they don't have sales or discounts for multiples on plants. I would like to go to AFA in SF, though. Heard a lot of nice things.

Last edited by kingmonroe; 10-02-2012 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: typos
kingmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #35
KFryman
Planted Member

I called Dolphin Pet Village a while ago for endlers, the guy took all my information down because they didn't have any in stock so someone could call me when they got some in. I thought this was excellent service, but I haven't gotten a call back and its been over a month. I am pretty sure they have gotten a pair by now...

Diana what stores are good for rocks? I might be interested in a rock scape with wood, though it may have to wait.

I'm looking forwards to meeting the people that have been in the club for a while. It will be awesome to talk about tanks and plants with other people.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #36
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The first three rank much higher than the others. If you can manage to get to those 3 there is a fantastic selection of rock and gravel.

Morgan's Masonry, San Ramon and Antioch- Plenty of gravel, lots of rock the right size to call boulders in the aquarium. LOTS of nice stuff.
LH Voss, Dublin- Good selection of unusual rocks.
Mount Diablo Landscape, Concord- Best selection of unusual rocks, often carries thin black slate for backgrounds and a lot more.
Diamond K, Lafayette- Better for large landscape boulders, but if you are anywhere near, go see it. Lower on my list, though for aquariums.
Brickyard, Concord. Has graded sand in bags. Lapis Lustre brand, a sort of golden and silvery sand in different sizes. Occasionally has interesting rocks.
Near Brickyard are a couple of swimming pool suppliers for pool filter sand.
There are a couple of rock yards in Brentwood, if you are going out that far, but mostly they are more concrete suppliers, not decorative rock.
MacAlvey's Nursery, Martinez. Small selection, but if you are driving by it, worth a stop.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #37
KFryman
Planted Member

Alright that is awesome Dublin isn't too far away from me so i may check that place out if i decide to do an iwagimi inspired tank.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #38
KFryman
Planted Member

Hey Diana I just realized, I'm going to your meet lol. Look forward to meeting you.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #39
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Looking forward to meeting you, too!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #40
prestonplantedtanks
Algae Grower

See you guys there!
prestonplantedtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #41
hydrosparky
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've been trying to sign up, but it always says that my confirmation code is incorrect. What is happening?
hydrosparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #42
KFryman
Planted Member

Not sure, I would start your own thread to get more replies though.