Another Finnex LED mod, make that 2!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Another Finnex LED mod, make that 2!

So my Fugeray is just a little too strong (Black Brush algae, blech) for my 3 gallon (unless I inject Co2), so needed to raise it a little bit. Had a decent idea for taller legs (see bottom of post) but as another member pointed out I had a handy shelf just over the tank.

Materials needed: one rare and valuable wire coat hanger (cue Mommy dearest - no wire hangers!)
Tools: crappy pair of pliers with wire cutters built in
Time: However long the conference call I was listening too took.

Not the prettiest, but it works. I mainly had the idea of posting because a similar method could be used to mount these cantilevered straight out from a wall. (Someone else already posted a similar method to make little triangular hangers for chain hanging)

Cut the hook and the really twisted part off the top of the wire hanger, straighten, bend into a tall thin "U" shape. The 2 exposed ends will go into the holes the stock Finnex legs slide into, that is your guide on how wide to make the U.

The pictures show better how the loop end is bent to hug the shelf, the exposed ends then slide into the light mounting slide holes. What isn't really obvious is that the light is only held up from the end with the coat hanger and shelf - the other end is hanging in space (that file bin on the right isn't actually touching or supporting the light at all)

The good news is my light is higher, the bad news is now I need to cut a new lid for the tank! (See pics in signature)

Mod #2

This is where I was heading before mounting it to the shelf. If the stock legs were hacksawed straight across where the stick is pointing, it provides a nice flat plastic surface for super glue, both top and bottom. Find a piece of plastic (the one shown is an acrylic award from work), or maybe even the solid plastic outdoor molding from Home Depot/Lowes.

Cut at the line, glue rectangular pieces the height you want between the top and bottom halves.

Wholly inadequate MSPaint rendering of what it might look like completed:

Last edited by jbrady33; 11-01-2012 at 11:23 PM.. Reason: attempt at humor
jbrady33 is offline   Reply With Quote