Breeding Advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Selemontare

PTrader: (0/0%)

Breeding Advice

Hello all!!!!!

First official post here for me (sorry for the length, it is a small intro + fact finding mission).

I've been insanely busy with countless things among which are my breeding projects. I am hoping to shed some light on some of the road blocks I've encountered.The current projects that I have been consumed in are breeding Brine shrimp for fry food and raising my recent Pearl Gourami Fry.

However, in my zombie-like crawl past my community tank to my breeding projects (and my bed) after a long day at work, I notice some pretty chubby looking fish (my assumption is pregnant, since I highly doubt I over feed).

Among those fish are Harlequin Rasboras, Neon Tetras, Von Rio (Red Fire) Tetras that are more obnoxiously plump. Info on them would be nice.

But! The ones I am REALLY hoping to shed light on are (in order of my favorites );

Threadfin (Featherfin) Rainbows
Neon Rainbows
Australian Rainbows
Turquoise Rainbows

They show no signs of pregnancy, and I have definitely seen the Threadfins doing a mating ritual on several occasions, but nothing "looks" pregnant.

I have found information, but I am still struggling determining things such a sex/pregnant or not, etc... with certainty.

As I said, the tetras/rasboras just seem pregnant, and I was hoping there was a sign of eggs I could see besides bulges.

All of these fish are in a 56 Gal community tank, so I would like to quarantine them if they are pregnant, but I feel like I am on this crazy witch hunt putting random fat fish in breeder nets/traps/tanks. I am running out of spaces to put fish that I THINK are pregnant, just to find out I am wasting a good spot that could be used for fish that are.

I find myself obsessing over breeding my fish and someday hope to breed all of them!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Nick
Selemontare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, fry, pregnant fish, rainbow, tetra