CO2 or not with Low Tech - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Thanks everyone for the reply's
My goals...
Have a nice planted tank, low maint.
Use Less Ferts if any
Use Less CO2
Avoid doing water changes every week (if I can)
Already have one child that 2 and a 2nd on the way, time is going to be limited. The CO2 system I have now is very high tech, high pressure, dual strage reg, with huge reactor and 20 lbs CO2 tank.

Most critical goal? Have wife stop yelling at me for working on the tank too much and also making a mess of the living room. ha ha

It is amazing what can be done with this!
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

Just say no to C02 based on your goals, like others have said.

Go for a good substrate and low-light root feeders. I personally prefer organic potting soil (not mineralized, I do a hybrid dry start to let organics start breaking down). With no c02 and low light, you won't need to change water or prune plants often or deal with dosing ferts. The most you might need is some excel.

My favorites: crypts hands down. Java fern and anubias come in a close second.

Seriously, get rid of the c02 and save yourself hours of work and maintenance. Pick the right plants, and you can still have a lush and dense planted tank. I think it's nicer on the critters too when they aren't being blasted with ferts and co2 constantly.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the reply's
My goals...
Have a nice planted tank, low maint.
Use Less Ferts if any
Use Less CO2
Avoid doing water changes every week (if I can)
Already have one child that 2 and a 2nd on the way, time is going to be limited. The CO2 system I have now is very high tech, high pressure, dual strage reg, with huge reactor and 20 lbs CO2 tank.

Most critical goal? Have wife stop yelling at me for working on the tank too much and also making a mess of the living room. ha ha
Hahaha.....after being married for 20 some years, my wife encourages my hobbies. I think she figures if i'm busy with my projects, i'm not bugging her for "something else"
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatiesl337 View Post
Just say no to C02 based on your goals, like others have said.

Go for a good substrate and low-light root feeders. I personally prefer organic potting soil (not mineralized, I do a hybrid dry start to let organics start breaking down). With no c02 and low light, you won't need to change water or prune plants often or deal with dosing ferts. The most you might need is some excel.

My favorites: crypts hands down. Java fern and anubias come in a close second.

Seriously, get rid of the c02 and save yourself hours of work and maintenance. Pick the right plants, and you can still have a lush and dense planted tank. I think it's nicer on the critters too when they aren't being blasted with ferts and co2 constantly.
I thought about the the organic potting soil, but don't know how that would work with my substrate. I have the substrate from aquarium plants dot com. (I got free from them) just not sure if it would be a good cap. I think is size is smaller than eco-complete.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
wheatiesl337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
I thought about the the organic potting soil, but don't know how that would work with my substrate. I have the substrate from aquarium plants dot com. (I got free from them) just not sure if it would be a good cap. I think is size is smaller than eco-complete.
You would have to provide a bit more info or picture on the substrate, as I am not familiar with it, but website appears to say:

Granular Size: 1.2mm to 2.8mm

If that's correct, it should work just fine.
wheatiesl337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

That substrate from aquarium plants will cap dirt just fine. I have used everything from ecocomplete to play sand to cap dirt, and that is in between the two, so you'll be good.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #22
krandall@rdrcpa.biz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Then reduce your light and keep the CO2. You'll have good, slower growth with lower light and CO2, and need to fertilize less (because of the lower growth) and do less water changes (because there's less ferilizer hanging around). You'll also have less algae.
krandall@rdrcpa.biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post

It is amazing what can be done with this!
Hoppy!!! you obviously haven't read my threads, duct tape leaves marks, you gotta go with electrical tape!!LOL
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #24
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

So I am thinking I will run the CO2 real low, mostly because I am lazy don't want to pull it out and remove my reactor. I hope it the right way to go. Plus I will never sell it for what I put into it.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #25
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
So I am thinking I will run the CO2 real low, mostly because I am lazy don't want to pull it out and remove my reactor. I hope it the right way to go. Plus I will never sell it for what I put into it.
The "right way to go" with low light tanks includes very few parameters. Primarily, and almost exclusively, it refers to having low light. After that you can add whatever else makes your planted tank experience best for you, including CO2, specialized aquarium substrates, special filters, fertilizer dosing, powerheads in the tank, etc.