Substrate - only targeting planted areas?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
mrramsey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Substrate - only targeting planted areas?

Hi again,Thanks for the input. I still have a question or two before I start working on this remodel project this weekend.

My tank design is mainly going to be a pool sand base with rocks and wood as a centerpiece growing java fern and anubias on them. I would also like some taller BG plants in the corners and maybe some shorter foreground plants in front.

Is it advisable to ad eco complete or some other substrate just in the areas where I want additional plantings? I really don't want spend another $60+ on substrate to cover the entire tank bottom, but think the tank may look a bit bare if I don't add some additional plants.

I have heard of people using miracle grow potters mix but that introduces ammonia from the animal waste in it. I have stock that will need to go back into the tank ASAP.

Also just wondering about timing... should I introduce just the hard scapes now and plant in a couple weeks or do it all at once?