Shrimp ID help please?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
raesunrae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Shrimp ID help please?

Hi!

I was looking for some Cherry Red Shrimp at my LFS on Friday and they only had this one left. Of course I bought it and he's doing great! My question is do you guys think that this could be a higher grade RCS like a Sakura or a painted red cherry or just a really red regular RCS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121028_130901.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	56077  

Name:	20121028_130832.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	56078  

raesunrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Sakura grade. Maybe PFR, would need better, more detailed shots. Female. Looks old.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

+1 female sakura grade
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Sakura grade. Maybe PFR, would need better, more detailed shots. Female. Looks old.
Old as in ready to die soon?? Female? How do I tell the difference? Because she's big? I am currently looking online as we speak to buy some Red Cherry Shrimp and turn my 10G into a Shrimp only tank so I wanted to see if I should get regular RCS to put her with or Sakura or Painted Reds. Any advice would be appreciated! I will try to get a better shot of her.

Thank you!!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Old as in full grown, other than that it is hard to say. I would at least get sakura or better. Her color might change in the next two weeks as she settles in.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Here is another close up of her I just took. I cropped it so you can hopefully see more detail. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20121028_142159-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	56080  

Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcuda View Post
Old as in full grown, other than that it is hard to say. I would at least get sakura or better. Her color might change in the next two weeks as she settles in.
Ok. I will look for some Sakuras then. I hope her color stays the same or even more red as she settles in! Thanks for your help.

Rachel
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesunrae View Post
Old as in ready to die soon?? Female? How do I tell the difference? Because she's big? I am currently looking online as we speak to buy some Red Cherry Shrimp and turn my 10G into a Shrimp only tank so I wanted to see if I should get regular RCS to put her with or Sakura or Painted Reds. Any advice would be appreciated! I will try to get a better shot of her.

Thank you!!
Potentially. The dark patterns on the carapace can indicate old age.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
raesunrae
Algae Grower

[QUOdisappointing. dekiran;2059764]Potentially. The dark patterns on the carapace can indicate old age.[/QUOTE]

Ohh man...that's disappointing. Well hopefully I can give her a good life for the time she has left...
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Sakura...if PFR the legs would be solid red. She looks to be an adult....does look a bit old but mine at about 10 months look like that...of course, they only live 1-2 years. But she might still have some spunk to her
ravensgate is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Thanks Jaimie!

She seems very spunky! She is all over the tank eating algae and exploring her surroundings. Right now she's in my 20g long with Galaxy and Harlequin Rasboras. Since you think she's not a Painted Red will it be a problem that I just ordered 10 Sakura Painted Red Cherries today online? I will be turning my 10g into a planted shrimp only tank and wanted to put her in with them. They will be young shrimp when they arrive but if she decides to breed when they get older would mixing her with Sakura Painted Reds be a bad offspring?

Rachel
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Never heard of a sakura painted red. It's regular cherry, sakura, and Painted Fired red for grades AFAIK.

Heck, you're in Nashville...you wait a couple of weeks I can drive plenty down to you

I have regular cherries mixed in with Painted Fire Reds and get a mix of regular cherries, sakuras, and PFRs (have just now got rid of all my RCS males with just an adult PFR male in the population). I only have a couple of RCS in there but they're close to sakura and both females and I'm a bit partial to them since they were my first ones I got. Basically when you start mixing grades you are going to wind up with mixed grades. If you mix regular cherries with painted fire reds you're going to work backwards and get lower quality. Same if you mix sakuras and painted fire reds. Nothing wrong with that, just depends on what you want to do and the look you want. In hindsight I would have done either straight sakuras or straight PFRs in my tank but I'm happy nonetheless.

But seriously, I'm 30 minutes east of Nashville and have had 4 batches of babies born in the last few days. If you're willing to wait, we could meet up instead of you having to have them shipped in.

If you got that girl from Aquatic Critter it's a Sakura more than likely...all of their cherries I've seen are sakuras.
ravensgate is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
raesunrae
Algae Grower

Jamie,

Ugggh! I already sent payment! Well, I will want more anyway so I would love to get some from you as well! I have a 10g that will be strictly Painted Fire Red and a 20g Rasbora fully planted tank that I want to add some to. How much are you asking?

Yes, I did get her from Aquatic Critter. So your'e saying that I will go backwards if this little lady breeds with the Painted huh? I may just leave her where she is then and just breed the Paints. I bought them off Ebay and it looks as though I was confused with the title. They are Painted Fire Reds but he had included Sakura, RCS, and Cherry Shrimp as probably tags. Ooops! I must look like an idiot!

Let me know when you will be coming to Nashville and I will PM you my # and we can meet up!

Thanks Jamie

Rachel

Tags
cherry, inverts, red, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.