8g Ebi - "Jungle Fever" (New FTS and pics Oct 1 2012) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't want to overload the bioload with Otos though. Plus, the owner of my LFS recommended only 1 Oto per 5g. They're really only here to keep any algae under control until I get a healthy population of shrimp going, at which point I'll move them over to my other tank probably.
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCanuck View Post
I don't want to overload the bioload with Otos though. Plus, the owner of my LFS recommended only 1 Oto per 5g. They're really only here to keep any algae under control until I get a healthy population of shrimp going, at which point I'll move them over to my other tank probably.
If I remember right, somewhatshocked had 6 in his Ebi and it was perfectly fine. Oto's bioloads are quite small actually.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
If I remember right, somewhatshocked had 6 in his Ebi and it was perfectly fine. Oto's bioloads are quite small actually.
Ah, well that's pretty cool, although I'd still prefer to keep it lighter on the Oto side. The shrimp will do most of the cleanup once the colony grows enough.

Speaking of shrimp, I found an LFS that sells b brigittae regularly and even has an online stock to make it easier. Lo and behold, their site said they had some in, so I called up and the guy says sure, come by whenever you want. So I spent 45 minutes in traffic fighting my way across the island to the shop. Got there, went through all their tanks, couldn't find any, and when I finally asked, the guy that was there told me that someone came in a few hours back and bought about 30 of them and then someone bought the last 5 an hour before I showed up. :C He said it'll probably be a few weeks before they get some more, but at least I've got some hope now! haha.

That said, I really didn't want to have driven all the way there for nothing, so I picked up a half-dozen RCS; they're almost all Sakura-ish colours, so they'll go good with the few remaining from the initial group I bought and hopefully add a bit to the biodiversity if/when they start breeding. Pics to come later tonight.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #19
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

As promised, here are the new pics.

Some of the new ladies (and hopefully boys)

Extreme closeup on one of the prettiest ones:

Turbo's learnt this trick where he builds himself a duckweed raft and floats around the tank. And then after a while he gets bored and dive bombs off. Weirdest thing I've ever seen haha

The weeping moss on the tree is coming in really nicely. Good progress in the past 2 weeks. (I'll be smarter and move the thermometer next time, but had to put it in that corner so it's not right beside the heater)

And lastly, I've unfortunately ended up with ramshorns somehow. And they're donig a damn good job of taking over the tank. Gonna have to start trapping them because I really don't want to go the assassin snail route with all the shrimps. I've heard they sometimes will kill shrimp...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Drift Monkey
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nice pics! Your new shrimp look like my young PFRs.

Some snails in my Edge like to climb towards the HOB outlet and dive bomb...weird indeed.

I ended up with ramshorns in my Ebi too...randomly. They're aren't too many, but I actually like them.
Drift Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #21
SaltyNC
Planted Member

Same here on the ramshorns. At first, I was removing them, but finally I just gave up. They seem to literally be on every leaf and every blade of grass. I decided to just let the population explode and then die off naturally. Let 'em spit polish my tank in the meantime.
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Monkey View Post
Nice pics! Your new shrimp look like my young PFRs.
Thanks! The shrimp definitely aren't all that colour, but they're still pretty nice. There's a few clearer ones but I'm hoping they'll just be the boys. Really want to start breeding the little buggers! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Same here on the ramshorns. At first, I was removing them, but finally I just gave up. They seem to literally be on every leaf and every blade of grass. I decided to just let the population explode and then die off naturally. Let 'em spit polish my tank in the meantime.
Not a bad plan, but I've already got a good cleanup crew. Hopefully the population will level itself out soon enough, but for the moment it looks like there's a few dozen baby ramshorms at 1 or 2mm in size.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Feeding time! Nom nom nom.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #24
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

Tada!

I'm very happy with how everything's growing. I'm adding some modified EI-based macro solution sporadically during the week (about 10 ml), 1ml Flourish Excel once a week and the same with Flourish Comprehensive for micros. Still no CO2, but it doesn't look like I need it.

I added a black background just to try and make the plants and critters pop a bit more. Not sure whether I prefer it like this or how I had it before, though not seeing the light's power cord is nice hehe.

The Dwarf Sag has come in pretty dense. And that narrow leaf java fern in the distance is still my favourite. You can also see the 2 shy boraras in the corner, one of the brigittae and the lone merah.

I also took apart the spray bar and added another half dozen holes to it to lessen the water flow so that the fish and shrimp weren't always fighting the current and to spread out the flow better throughout the tank. And I added a hole to the top to try and force some surface movement to combat the heavy biofilm problem I've been having, which has been working great so far.

Which means that the b brigittae will actually hang out near the front of the tank...

And the shrimp get to enjoy their fancy little petri dish food bowl without all the food flying away!

I took a top shot to show just how HUGE the crypt mi oya has gotten. It's gorgeous and has definitely taken over the space I had originally thought the African water fern would occupy (which is still there, just growing so slow it's barely visible in the back corner).

Turbo and Tooth enjoying hanging out around the chunk of rock growing weeping moss at the front.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

FINALLY managed to find some more b brigittae! I was out shopping for curtains and rods and stuff like that yesterday afternoon about 45 minutes from home and couldn't resist the siren call of an LFS out there. Walked in expecting nothing and found a little display 10g with a massive school of them. I probably squealed out loud haha problem was that I wasn't going to be home for a bit (was out thataways to see a friend off on a trip) so I found one of the employees, explained my conundrum and my quest and they were kind enough to package the boraras in an extra large bag (discus-sized) and pump it full of oxygen. I then spent the rest of the evening carrying around a grocery bag with fish everywhere I went just to make sure they didn't catch cold. Everyone got home and was added to the tank safe and sound.

Pics to come later today or tomorow!

Tags
ebi, nano