Giant Ecosphere - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #16
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
That's a nice looking bowl/sphere
Thanks
__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I understand. It doesn't feel right, but it they breed for you and are happy then I can't gripe much


MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
They certainly look happy to me, they are nearly constantly in motion and swimming all over the bowl.
__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Koi Kameon
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 172
Default

I have been keeping these shrimp for 4 years now. The are amazing. Active without being frenetic. Able to thrive in various brackish water salinities. I have a small group of 9 and enjoy them that way--I can identify the individuals more easily. I, personally, do a 10-20% water change about every month. I don't understand the advice about not keeping other plants with them as I have successfully kept Japanese moss balls and willow moss with them at around 1.008 and am now keeping them with frog bit, a nana petite, and willow moss at 1.005. If you search around the forum, you will see that breeding them seems to be hit or miss. With some people keeping them in a 5 gallon set up with filter and tons of layers of rocks to hide in with no result and others in the world wide web being able to cram 30 of them in 60 oz. and have them breed like crazy. So, i put my stock in them being happy with are they molting a lot? Also, mine can not stand any aeration of any kind. These are VERY laid-back shrimp and will usually not freak about anything but when i introduced an aeration stone, they were still stressed and pale and overly active the next day so I don't aerate or filterate.
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
I have been keeping these shrimp for 4 years now. The are amazing. Active without being frenetic. Able to thrive in various brackish water salinities. I have a small group of 9 and enjoy them that way--I can identify the individuals more easily. I, personally, do a 10-20% water change about every month. I don't understand the advice about not keeping other plants with them as I have successfully kept Japanese moss balls and willow moss with them at around 1.008 and am now keeping them with frog bit, a nana petite, and willow moss at 1.005. If you search around the forum, you will see that breeding them seems to be hit or miss. With some people keeping them in a 5 gallon set up with filter and tons of layers of rocks to hide in with no result and others in the world wide web being able to cram 30 of them in 60 oz. and have them breed like crazy. So, i put my stock in them being happy with are they molting a lot? Also, mine can not stand any aeration of any kind. These are VERY laid-back shrimp and will usually not freak about anything but when i introduced an aeration stone, they were still stressed and pale and overly active the next day so I don't aerate or filterate.
Your salinity is lower than mine. The plants you mentioned will die at my higher salinity. The reason I believe the shrimp don't reproduce is that the salinity isn't high enough. I want mine to breed and the moderator of the above mentioned site has huge numbers of these shrimp reproducing so I set mine up as close as possible to his. He has tanks that have not had a water change in 5 years, only topping off with R/O water. I think his success in keeping these speaks for itself.
__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #20
Koi Kameon
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 172
Default Then there was a misunderstanding in your orig. post.

To me, it sounded like NO plants could live with them at all and I wanted to correct that. I have also kept them at higher salinities--all the way up to pure seawater. What is your spec. gravity??

I mention the hit or miss part bc Jason Patterson, whom I highly respect on his background research, etc., is really into them and seems to do everything right as suggested by the handful of seeming HRS "experts" and struggles, the guy I bought mine from had no place to hide for them and had about 30 in a 60 oz. bowl with temps in the 50's at night in the winter--outside the recommended parameters. That's the point I was trying to make. I have no interest in breeding them and actually kept them in the suggested range for that and nothing.
I personally have no opinion on the topping off the water or water change thing.
I sincerely hope you wind up enjoying them as much as I have. They are amazing creatures.

One question for you--where did you get your amazing "mountiain" looking rocks? I would love one as a focal point in my container. Thanks.
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
sapphoqueen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Japan
Posts: 420
Default

a very very nice bowl ! just beware of direct sun light :P the rays are focusing in the bowl ...once i get my cabinet lack all around the bowl burned )) lol just sented the smoke and i seen the thin line of smoke and the burn marks :P keep us updated !
sapphoqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi Kameon View Post
To me, it sounded like NO plants could live with them at all and I wanted to correct that. I have also kept them at higher salinities--all the way up to pure seawater. What is your spec. gravity??

I mention the hit or miss part bc Jason Patterson, whom I highly respect on his background research, etc., is really into them and seems to do everything right as suggested by the handful of seeming HRS "experts" and struggles, the guy I bought mine from had no place to hide for them and had about 30 in a 60 oz. bowl with temps in the 50's at night in the winter--outside the recommended parameters. That's the point I was trying to make. I have no interest in breeding them and actually kept them in the suggested range for that and nothing.
I personally have no opinion on the topping off the water or water change thing.
I sincerely hope you wind up enjoying them as much as I have. They are amazing creatures.

One question for you--where did you get your amazing "mountiain" looking rocks? I would love one as a focal point in my container. Thanks.
Thanks for your comments, I hope mine breed but if not, they have such a long lifespan it shouldn't be an issue if they don't.
I bought the Seiryu stone in this bowl from PC1 or were you referring to the large Seiryu stones in my Jewel tank? Those two came from flowerfishs. Flowerfishs has some nice large ones available right now. I bought a lot of nice smaller stones from PC1.
__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphoqueen View Post
a very very nice bowl ! just beware of direct sun light :P the rays are focusing in the bowl ...once i get my cabinet lack all around the bowl burned )) lol just sented the smoke and i seen the thin line of smoke and the burn marks :P keep us updated !
Thanks, yes the bowl is just like a big magnifying glass but I don't believe I have anything within its focal length so shouldn't be a problem. Glad you didn't have a serious fire from your incident, sorry it damaged your cabinet.
__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Macedonia, OH
Posts: 1,609
Default

Thanks to Koi Kameon for pointing me toward this thread. I really like your tank davrx, best of luck getting them to breed. As Koi mentioned, they can be awfully finicky about breeding in captivity. I've been keeping mine in a 10 gallon tank at 1.012 sg for a while now and have had very spotty breeding. I've got one berried shrimp out of 100 or so going at the moment. These shrimp seem to be able to breed in a fairly wide range of conditions, based on the number of people who post about them thriving on neglect, but they'll also simply refuse to breed for people who have set up what seem to be perfect tanks. I'm sure we (the opae ula keepers of the world) are missing something but I just don't know what it is.

I don't do water changes often (every few months) and I've got a very low flow air powered filter that is probably not doing anything worthwhile beyond keeping the water moving very slowly. I feed them a little bit of spirulina occasionally, and I've tried other foods previously with little interest.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #25
Koi Kameon
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 172
Default I know nothing about Seiryu stones or PC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrx View Post
Thanks for your comments, I hope mine breed but if not, they have such a long lifespan it shouldn't be an issue if they don't.
I bought the Seiryu stone in this bowl from PC1 or were you referring to the large Seiryu stones in my Jewel tank? Those two came from flowerfishs. Flowerfishs has some nice large ones available right now. I bought a lot of nice smaller stones from PC1.
I am completely ignorant on this subject. Just love the "mountain" look of them and think they go so well witht the spartan look that it seems most Americans keep with their HRS. I was speaking of the one in your HRS bowl. Thanks for any addit. info.
Koi Kameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.
 
Rob in Puyallup's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,400
Default

I received my first 50 (or so) opae ula today. They are making the slow and gradual adjustment to my tank water as I type this...

Their new home will be a Petco Bookshelf tank. I have "live" aragonite sand as the substrate, some cultured "live" rocks and a generous two handfulls of rock sent to me with the shrimp from the vendor.

I do have an airstone in the tank (which I will remove if the shrimp are freaked by it) and a heater.

I do hope they breed. I've had some success with freshwater shrimp so decided to try these. Maybe some Sulawesi shrimp in the future or some marine "Sexy" shrimp one day!

Rob in Puyallup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #27
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru
 
wicca27's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dewey
Posts: 4,811
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27
Default

where the heck did you get that bowl i would love to find one like it
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #28
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
where the heck did you get that bowl i would love to find one like it
Your wish is my command.

http://www.westelm.com/products/shan...src=AutoSchRel
__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #29
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta
 
davrx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (56/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somerset, Ohio
Posts: 921
Default Update

Here's some photos I just took with the sun shining in on them. They're very active today as I just fed them, something I only do about once a week since there's the risk of an ammonia spike which would wipe them all out. Still no breeding but I am hopeful. It took my Cardinals months before I saw babies. The chaetomorpha has floated to the top due to the oxygen bubbles it seems to be producing but it doesn't sink at night. I like this look better as I can see the rocks and shrimp better now.













__________________

Better Living Through Chemistry
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.
 
Rob in Puyallup's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 1,400
Default

Looking very cool! Love the scifi mountain landscape sort of thing going on!

Cardinals are my next adventure. A store not far from me sells them, not cheap, though, at $12.00 each.
Rob in Puyallup is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012