Hayden's ADA 45-f: The End - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #106
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

hayden, i could've sworn you had this tank setup a few months back no? I recall this tank, and the stereo.

anyways, I love it! one thing about the whirlpool effect, i think it depends on 2 things.. 1) how strong your outflow is and 2) how close to the surface of the water the outflow pipe is. When I was making DIY lily pipes, I noticed that either raising or lower the outflow head until you saw the vortex effect was the way to get it.
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #107
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yes you are correct, in fact this is the third scape I have had in this tank. However, the only things that are the same about this setup and the previous one are the Tank, Lighting, and Stand. I gutted the tank and got completely new equipment, so I'm counting it as a new setup entirely.

About the vortex, I played with height, from touching the surface to way down under, and I concluded I simply don't have enough flow.

Thanks for viewing!
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #108
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
Yes you are correct, in fact this is the third scape I have had in this tank. However, the only things that are the same about this setup and the previous one are the Tank, Lighting, and Stand. I gutted the tank and got completely new equipment, so I'm counting it as a new setup entirely.

About the vortex, I played with height, from touching the surface to way down under, and I concluded I simply don't have enough flow.

Thanks for viewing!
The 60F thread did mention using an Eheim 2215...and 9mm lily pipes (you'd need a pipe reducer for a 2215 given the inflow/outflow tubing is 13mm). The result is, as you could see, a concentrated yet still rather dispersed flow that creates a strong downforce (lily pipe flow goes to the bottom of the bell then out, you can see it with an in-line diffuser) from the natural flow direction of the lily pipe. This results in the vortex that we all know and love from that thread.

sources:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...mm#post1261481
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...15#post1221037
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #109
Hayden
Planted Member

Wow I've been over that thread a million times but I guess I never noticed his pipes were 9mm! He has quite a vortex going.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #110
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

great start. looking forward to the progress!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #111
Hayden
Planted Member

Week Two Update

Well it's already been two weeks since startup! Since last week I have replanted HC, and have added another Riccia stone to the left corner. I have also noticed significant growth in both the Riccia and DHG, hopefully next week the HC will take off as well!

Starting to look gooood.

New Riccia stone. I decided to add this to increase the visible Riccia/DHG area as well as to add to the "mass" of the scape a bit.

This is as much of a vortex as I am able to get.

Detail of the newly planted HC.

It's so green!

Last edited by Hayden; 10-27-2012 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: .
Old 10-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #112
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Dude...I'm jealous. I cannot get Riccia to grow in my Mini M to save my life. I'm not sure what the deal is. It gets nuked by algae and then hates life. Maybe I'm tying it wrong....or too flat. I put it in the 20g right under the lights and in the path of CO2 fog....gonna perk it up a bit before I throw it back in the Mini M. Think temporarily putting a twin turbo on your car, lol.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #113
Trojan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hayden, I started my 20 gallon long similar to this. Because you have a small amount of plants you might want to tie some stem plants to the side of the glass or something for the first 6-8 weeks. I had algae breakouts starting at week 3 and I added a large amount of floating stems after the fact. You might want to do this before it breaks out!
Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:47 AM   #114
Hayden
Planted Member

Quote:
Dude...I'm jealous. I cannot get Riccia to grow in my Mini M to save my life. I'm not sure what the deal is. It gets nuked by algae and then hates life. Maybe I'm tying it wrong....or too flat. I put it in the 20g right under the lights and in the path of CO2 fog....gonna perk it up a bit before I throw it back in the Mini M. Think temporarily putting a twin turbo on your car, lol.
That's really weird! I would expect it to grow wonderfully in your setup. Mine doesn't pearl like I see some people's doing, but it's growing quite nicely. Sounds like a good plan to get it going to give it a head start against algae.

Quote:
Hayden, I started my 20 gallon long similar to this. Because you have a small amount of plants you might want to tie some stem plants to the side of the glass or something for the first 6-8 weeks. I had algae breakouts starting at week 3 and I added a large amount of floating stems after the fact. You might want to do this before it breaks out!
Sounds like a good idea. I have a little WK with Rotala Sp. Green that I might stick in tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #115
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That's really weird! I would expect it to grow wonderfully in your setup. Mine doesn't pearl like I see some people's doing, but it's growing quite nicely. Sounds like a good plan to get it going to give it a head start against algae.
It has to do with the CO2 distribution and flow in the tank in general. I can't crank up the 2211's flow because it's so darn concentrated due to the lily pipe. And, that sucks because the pollen glass mini is made to be blasted by the mini outflow pipe (matching height and everything). I wish I had the money for a violet outflow and a d-whatever diffuser that would sit lower in the tank for the startup phase so the flow would actually be usable. Once the HC grows in, though...crank time. I'm just going diagonally across the tank for now. Not much else I can do.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:17 AM   #116
Hayden
Planted Member

Oh I understand. I'm curious how you are reducing the flow, do you partially close the quick releases?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:25 AM   #117
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh I understand. I'm curious how you are reducing the flow, do you partially close the quick releases?
Yes indeed. About 50%, lol.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #118
Hayden
Planted Member

Oh wow. With my setup, 100% seems to give me pretty ideal flow. I could even imagine a bit more. Your really gonna be happy when you can let it go wide open! Have you tried more flow?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #119
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh wow. With my setup, 100% seems to give me pretty ideal flow. I could even imagine a bit more. Your really gonna be happy when you can let it go wide open! Have you tried more flow?
Define more flow.

As soon as I opened up the filter all the way after the glosso and riccia grew in decently on the old setup the difference was night and day. Everything grew so well it was insane.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #120
Trojan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I forget which line you should turn the valve on to throttle the flow, but my LFS told me to only throttle with one. I believe the return. I could be wrong. I am running HOB now.
Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote