African Dwarf Frogs! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
CrazyCatPeekin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

ADF are completely aquatic. They do not need any land areas. They will perch on something high up and stick their little heads out of the water or float at the top. Mine really seem to like to hang out in the floating plants in their tank.

I haven't ever tried to touch my ADF. I understand that they are pretty sensitive and absorb everything through the skin, so I really wouldn't want to chance it.

I have heard that they can escape the tank, but I have not experienced this myself. I have always kept them with apple snails though, so I generally leave 1-2 inches at the top of the tank with no water. (The snails need to crawl up the glass out of the water from time to time and will lay their eggs there.) I do keep a lid on the aquarium, but there is certainly enough of a gap for one to get out if he wanted to do so. I have not ever had a frog escape.

I have had a snail escape. I found him a good three feet from the tank on the bar. I suspect the cat may have helped him. I just plopped him back into the tank and he was fine.

I've never kept newts, so I can't say anything about those.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #498

Running Tanks: ~3 Gal Cylinder | Desk Spec | 10G Yellow Shrimp | Bookshelf Community | 10G Tiger/Fire Red | 10G Trio | 29G Fancy Goldfish | 35G Malaysian Pond Hex | 55G Semi-Aggressive | 70G Amazon Ram Tank | 100G Road To Nowhere
Future Plans: 180+ G Angel Tank
CrazyCatPeekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I have these guys and one time they climbed out of the water and kinda just stuck onto the class like maybe spiderfrog hahaha. I guess as long as it is moist they can leave the water. I have read accounts of them climbing up onto floating driftwood or styrofoam and hanging out. Problem is some people have also said that if they forget to climb back in the water, they will die. Not sure how true it is, but mine have climbed out before and it's so funny.
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #33
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatPeekin View Post
I have heard that they can escape the tank, but I have not experienced this myself.
I've never heard of ADF escapees, but I have heard of ACF houdinis. African Clawed Frogs grow to be the size of your hands and are renowned escape artists.
Also, don't be fooled by "Albino African Dwarf Frogs". These are mislabeled and are actually "Albino African Clawed Frogs".
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #34
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMM View Post
I've never heard of ADF escapees, but I have heard of ACF houdinis. African Clawed Frogs grow to be the size of your hands and are renowned escape artists.
Also, don't be fooled by "Albino African Dwarf Frogs". These are mislabeled and are actually "Albino African Clawed Frogs".
I have to somewhat agree here, if you keep your water level like an inch bloew the rim, you'll have no problems.. my ACF's will bang off the lid when they jum, ADF's barely break the surface.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #35
zankotsu
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I just got a little 5 gal. What kind of space do two frogs need? I imagine they do better with a buddy so I don't want to isolate an animal. The tank came with a little hang on filter and I plan on aerating the water with surface agitation (saves me an outlet and I want a lower water level for the frogs anyway). I'll need a heater, of course. Is this an adequate setup?

Last, are snails compatible?

Last edited by zankotsu; 10-17-2012 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: added text
zankotsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #36
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

You should be fine as long as your properly filtered. Two frogs in a five gallon is plenty of room. You can add snails too, if you'd like. I doubt your frogs will care.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #37
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elppan View Post
Okay, who has and loves these little guys? John Snow and Sam are the little comics in my community tank. I feed them in my hand in the tank, they now swim to my hands even if I am just planting something looking for food. Makes it a lot easier because I have little hoovers in my tank (Cory cats and ghost shrimp) that eat EVERYTHING before my little guys get a chance.

Post a picture and why you love these guys :-D

My cat Surreal playing with ADF John Snow (I think its John and not Sam, but I didn't label the pic when I took it... WHOOPS)

What steps did you take to have them eating out of your hand?! would love to do that
DTDPlanted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #38
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

Any experience keeping them in a fluval edge? there is about a 6" square opening to air at the top of the tank and the rest is sealed by glass, I COULD leave just a bit of air room but that kind of defeats the purpose of the nice clear view to the bottom the glass gives when its filled completely. Any thoughts on whether they would be smart enough to find that opening all the time? I don't want them to drown
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
What steps did you take to have them eating out of your hand?! would love to do that
I started slow, would put my hand near them at the same time I fed them with either tongs or a dropper.
Once they were used to both my hands being there I'd flatten out my non-food hand and then wiggle worms above my hand instead of right in their face. They would get curious and crawl over and eat. I'd keep my hand very still at this point.
Next step I did the same thing, but I'd curl my fingerd up and make a cup. When they were use to that I'd then slowly raise my hand to have a better angle to feed them.
This is where my two frogs differed, Sam realized that Hand=food and would swim over right away to investigate me. John Snow has always been more skittish, so it took a few extra weeks of me with a steady hand for him to be comfortable with the thought of me being able to move him. While he was being a big baby Sam would jump into my hand and beg for food... What a pig lol.

Now I can stick my hand in the tank and they swim over and I can drop pellets and worms and stuff right on their heads lol. Their comedy is so worth getting my hands wet for.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #40
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
Any experience keeping them in a fluval edge? there is about a 6" square opening to air at the top of the tank and the rest is sealed by glass, I COULD leave just a bit of air room but that kind of defeats the purpose of the nice clear view to the bottom the glass gives when its filled completely. Any thoughts on whether they would be smart enough to find that opening all the time? I don't want them to drown
These guys are super cute, but not smart, they would drown sadly.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zankotsu View Post
I just got a little 5 gal. What kind of space do two frogs need? I imagine they do better with a buddy so I don't want to isolate an animal. The tank came with a little hang on filter and I plan on aerating the water with surface agitation (saves me an outlet and I want a lower water level for the frogs anyway). I'll need a heater, of course. Is this an adequate setup?

Last, are snails compatible?
Snails are totally compatible. My ADFs, till I get more, are in a community fish tank. They live with Cory cats, ghost shrimp, nerites, and Rasboras.
I'm currently building a tank just for them, and a new one for my spoiled betta lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #42
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Sage View Post
This is Spider-Man, green goblin and hobgoblin!
Attachment 54769
That beta is a real beauty!