pet birds?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
silvertiger3450
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

pet birds?

anyone had pet birds before? what kind was it and how did u like him/her
silvertiger3450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've had parakeets for about 25 years (obviously, not the same ones!) and one cockatiel for the past eight years. We currently have five parakeets and one cockatiel right now. I got into birds years ago because I could not have dogs or cats. I LOVE pet birds, but they can sometimes be seen as "throwaway" pets since some of them (parakeets) are so cheap.

What would you like to know?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
silvertiger3450
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
I've had parakeets for about 25 years (obviously, not the same ones!) and one cockatiel for the past eight years. We currently have five parakeets and one cockatiel right now. I got into birds years ago because I could not have dogs or cats. I LOVE pet birds, but they can sometimes be seen as "throwaway" pets since some of them (parakeets) are so cheap.

What would you like to know?
how did ur parakeets live and which kind is easier to keep. i heard cockatiels give off a lot of dust?
Old 10-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertiger3450 View Post
how did ur parakeets live and which kind is easier to keep. i heard cockatiels give off a lot of dust?
I've had parakeets that lived 6 mos, and some that lived almost 7 years. Average for me seems to be about six years, but they can definitely live longer.

Yes, cockatiels do give off dust. Very much so.

Which is easier to keep? Probably parakeets. Get them young, get them from a breeder and you'll have a great pet. They need regular out of the cage time and socialization, too.

I really love this little guy, but this would take a LOT of work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFNy...feature=g-vrec
Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I have had a Quaker parrot for 3 years and have held him since he came out of his egg. I couldn't live without him. He brings me up when I'm down. Talks all the time. If you could find a breeder they are great birds if raised correctly which falls in the end on you. If you teach them correctly they will endlessly love you. If your house is loud and you pay no at attention to them they will scream and over power what ever is making the noise. It's only to get your attention. Birds are more work they people know and when they say they need attention and not locked in there cage 24/7 they mean it. I'm not joking they require a lot of love and care. good luck
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Birds are more work they people know and when they say they need attention and not locked in there cage 24/7 they mean it. I'm not joking they require a lot of love and care.
Yes yes yes X 1000.

My cockatiel is my best bud. He gets the bulk of our attention since the five keets have each other to commiserate with.

They need DAILY out of cage time. Buy the biggest cage you can afford.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've had and bred cockatiels and lovebirds. I also hand-fed the babies. The lovebirds were SO cute after they were handfed - so colorful, like mini-parrots, but LOUD. I had male cockatiels that could really sing! They were out of the cage for the most part and had a 4 ft tall jungle gym that they loved climbing around on.

I love birds and I miss them, but they were loud and messy. Still, I'd love another one - maybe a calm little pionus - some birds are quieter than others. Eclectus parrots are quiet too and stunning, the males are green and the girls are red. If you want quiet - then stay away from conures! My friend had one that she spoiled rotten, and he would scream as soon as you put him down. Even though hers was rotten, they are quite the screamers.
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have two cockatiels and a parakeet. One female lutino and one pied x cinnamon male. They hated each other at first but now they are in love. The female even lets the male clean her head feather and vise versa. The male whistles and sings, I've even trained him to sing the adams family theme song and the Andy Griffith theme song. He also does kissing noises and says " dawns a good boy."

Cockatiels do give off a lot of dust but I bathe mine in the shower and that helps a lot with the dust control. Some birds like to be misted or even play on wet greens. It all depends on the birds personality.

Female cockatiels are much less noisy then the males.

+1 buy the biggest cage you can afford.

Swap out the toys in their cage to keep them entertained and give them out of the cage time and people time and they will be extremely rewarding.

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
callisto9
Planted Member

Also, consider the lifespan of a bird and plan to keep it for (its) life. We have a local bird rescue here and it's PACKED with birds that have gone from home to home to home. Mostly people cannot take on a macaw or cockatoo for life.

Here's my buddy, dancing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPdFeO1r5k

I would avoid sun conures and anything that lives over 20 years for a first-time bird. I've had birds for years and there's no way I could handle a sun conure. Their scream is ear-piercing.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
callisto9
Planted Member

These are great cages and can still be had for under $200 shipped on eBay:

Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

That is such a good idea! I never thought to put curtains on the lower bars to cover the shelf I may have to do that to my cage.

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unikorn View Post
That is such a good idea! I never thought to put curtains on the lower bars to cover the shelf I may have to do that to my cage.
It's pretty handy. That pic was from 5 years ago or so. Both cages have curtains. I don't sew, so I just used that stitch witchery stuff and tension rods. Super easy and a great place to store all the food and bird toy parts.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
silvertiger3450
Planted Member

i was thinking of a green cheek conure or a maroon bellied conure. is there a way to not have that much dust around a cockatiel?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertiger3450 View Post
i was thinking of a green cheek conure or a maroon bellied conure. is there a way to not have that much dust around a cockatiel?
Not really. You can give them regular baths, but they naturally have dust. With my lutino (yellow), it's not horrible. I'm not too bothered by it.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
silvertiger3450
Planted Member

do all birds give of dust?