Giant Ecosphere
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

PTrader: (56/100%)

Giant Ecosphere

I bought this fishbowl for half off online and decided to try keeping Opae Ula shrimp in it. I've had it set up for several weeks with inert sand, some lace rock, a piece of Seiryu, and some Chaetomorpha macro algae. I'm using R/O water with marine salt at half the normal amount to create a brackish environment which mimics the anchialine pools they come from in Hawaii. They're endemic to Hawaii and are also called Volcano Shrimp and Super Shrimp because they have up to a 20 year lifespan and can survive in nearly freshwater to more saline than the ocean and a wide range of temperatures. These are the shrimp that you get when you buy an ecosphere. I used to have one of these and believed the company who makes them when they said it was a perfectly balanced sealed environment, when in reality they are slowly starved and suffocated to death. This reminds me of a giant ecosphere on a pedestal only this one is open. I learned more about these shrimp from http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php and bought 60 from Cookymonster which were delivered last week. They all survived the trip and I haven't found a single one yet that has died. I'm not filtering the water, I only have a 50W titantium heater and it sets in an East facing window so gets a couple hours of morning sun. I'm monitoring the temperatures and so far the bowl has only gone up 2 degrees when the sun shines on it. They're more active and swim more than any other dwarf shrimp that I've had. They seem to be constantly moving. I'm not feeding them anything, the macroalgae and whatever grows on the rocks will be their food for now anyway. Overall I'm very please with how it's turned out so far. These may be the easiest aquatic pet there is.

Better Living Through Chemistry

Last edited by davrx; 11-28-2012 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: moved files
davrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Coolest looking shrimp bowl ever.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #3
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Coolest looking shrimp bowl ever.
Thank you

Old 10-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

The chaetomorpha seems to be doing well and I'm indebted to Mustafa from the above mentioned website for selling me some of his. He said this is the only plant he's found that does well in this half salinity brackish water which is ideal for these shrimp. There are other chaetomorphas readily available for saltwater tanks but they don't survive in these brackish conditions and end up polluting the tank and killing the shrimp. This chaeto is much finer and softer than any other chaeto that I've seen. It should provide a good food source for the shrimp.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
akdylpickles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow awesome bowl. How much are those shrimp?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdylpickles View Post
Wow awesome bowl. How much are those shrimp?
Thanks, you can check with Cookymonster but I think he may be out now. There's also someone on ebay from Hawaii selling 90 for $65 including shipping so they're less than a buck apiece. Not bad compared to the $15 I've had to pay per Cardinal. And then there's some out of Asia for as much as $400 per shrimp.

Last edited by davrx; 10-23-2012 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

I forgot to say that this is a 3 gallon bowl so it's on the large size for fish bowls.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
akdylpickles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Did you put all 60 in the bowl?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
Disher
Planted Member

Great job on doing your research with that specific Chaetomorpha. How long have you been running this setup? What kind of maintenance are you doing? Nice work!
Disher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdylpickles View Post
Did you put all 60 in the bowl?
Yes

Old 10-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disher View Post
Great job on doing your research with that specific Chaetomorpha. How long have you been running this setup? What kind of maintenance are you doing? Nice work!
Thank you. I've had this going for a little over a month now. The shrimp have been in it for a little over 5 days. The beauty of these little guys is the minimal maintenance. All I have to do is replace any evaporated water with R/O water. Their water never needs to be replaced! No water changes ever! Their natural environment is stagnant water so no water movement is what they prefer. In their natural pools, the deeper layers don't even have any oxygen and they can survive in these anaerobic conditions which is why some call them Super Shrimp. They also prefer to have dense numbers, I could have had this amount of shrimp in a bowl 1/3 the size of this one with no problems. They are ideally suited to a nano tank. The only thing these guys are sensitive to is ammonia which will kill them pretty quickly but then this kills most aquatic life. So you have to be careful about feeding and what kind of plants you introduce. Mustafa who I mentioned above says that no plants should be used other than the chaetomorpha I currently have in their bowl.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

That stuff is always said about this species of shrimp, but I can't say I believe it.

I can't believe they would be happy in an environment with no water motion, filtration, ect.

They are hardy, sure, but why not treat them like a red cherry (that enjoys healthy brackish water)?

I'm not saying I look down on your shrimp keeping, but I wish they weren't kept in ecospheres, where they eventually die of ammonia poisoning or starve, or forced to endure no water changes.

In Hawaii they live in poor conditions, but nature does water changes with rain and evaporation.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
davrx
Cretum Aqua Planta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
That stuff is always said about this species of shrimp, but I can't say I believe it.

I can't believe they would be happy in an environment with no water motion, filtration, ect.

They are hardy, sure, but why not treat them like a red cherry (that enjoys healthy brackish water)?

I'm not saying I look down on your shrimp keeping, but I wish they weren't kept in ecospheres, where they eventually die of ammonia poisoning or starve, or forced to endure no water changes.

In Hawaii they live in poor conditions, but nature does water changes with rain and evaporation.

I agree with you on the ecosphere and their water does evaporate and I play rainman by adding R/O water but they do not do well with water movement according to an expert on keeping these shrimp, Mustafa, from the above mentioned site. I suppose you could do filtration but if it isn't necessary why over complicate things? If stagnant water is what they have evolved to live in then they aren't going to do well if you change that.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

I understand. It doesn't feel right, but it they breed for you and are happy then I can't gripe much

Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's a nice looking bowl/sphere

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote