How do I use dolomite to raise gH?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
notropis
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

How do I use dolomite to raise gH?

I found some granular dolomite aka soil sweetener out in the garden shed today.

I have a 10 gall set up and recently got some cherries. It's been years since I've last raised them. They are having trouble molting.

Gh = 0
Kh = 0
Nitates, etc = 0
ph 6-6.5
2 pygmy cories
rotala, anubias, moss, driftwood, hygro compakt, tiger lotus

The tank has been running for years.

How much dolomite should I start with and at what frequency into the 10 gallon tank to attempt to raise the gh and ph to make happy cherries?

Thank you!
EHEIM 2213 #317

Last edited by notropis; 10-15-2012 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: aded descriptor to dolomite = granular
notropis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

No idea but it is listed on Wet's calculator.

Dolomite is CaMg(CO)2.
http://calc.petalphile.com/
Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
notropis
Planted Member

Due to impatience, I brashly made a decision. Yes, those are the ones I usually regret.

I couldn't wait to find something to make a filter bag out of so that I could put a bag of granular dolomite in the filter.

So, I took a cup of tank water and added a random amount of granular dolomite to it, maybe 3 Tbsp. Swished and let is sit for a bit. Yes, I really it's not likely to dissolve. Then I poured it in a back corner of the tank that did not seem to be inhabitated at the moment.

Probably, not the smartest move for a whole seires of reasons, but that is what I did.

So far = I'm not regretting it and it's been 2 days maybe. The pile is actually getting smaller so maybe he finest stuff is redistributing or dissolving. My gH is up to 4. The pH is up to 6.4. I did add 1/2 a oyster shell tab and some kale. No deaths today.

I'm going to let the tank sit for a couple days while monitoring the params. I did get some cheesecloth so my next action will be to add a small amount to the bottom of the canister filter.
EHEIM 2213 #317
Old 10-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Dolomite is slowwww to dissolve, if you vinegar on it, it does not foam up etc, limestone? Yes. This slow dissolution is nice though, keeps a little bit of the HCO3, Ca and Mg in there.

CaSO4 and MgSO4 are more commonly used.
Then baking soda, but you can use other salts like K2CO3 and Ca(NO3)2 etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #5
notropis
Planted Member

Hi Tom,

From your post I'm not sure you are entirely blessing the use of the dolomite to raise gH? It sounds like on one hand that you approve due to the stabilizing properties, but on the other hand you don't think it will do much immediately. Have I interpreted that correctly?
EHEIM 2213 #317

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.