Andrew's 2nd tank - planted spec 2 tank - boraras maculatus & wild tigers arrived :D
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Andrew's 2nd tank - planted spec 2 tank - boraras maculatus & wild tigers arrived :D

Hey all, soooo I got multiple tank syndrome bad... I have been playing with my spec V since early july and now have it basically where I want it (link in my signature) and I am feeling like I need another project, but don't want to commit the funds or energy into a huge project (not sure how long I'll be in this apartment, etc) so nano's make sense for me now.

So last night I ordered up the oldish fluval spec (to be replaced by their spec 3 in their product line now). It is a well known 2 gallon nano tank. I plan to make it a heavily planted betta tank.

---Ordered list:

Spec 2 nano tank
Aqua Soil Amazonia
La Plata Sand
Congo Sand
Seiryu Stone
25w heater
CFL 13w clamping light
Ball valve for pump control (so I can get it real low for the betta)
Misc stuff like filter media & thermometer)

Right now I am at about $120 shipped for the project

---Need to buy list:

PLANTS!

1 male betta
dwarf shrimps?

My other tank is a gravel/rock type substrate, for this tank I definitely want to go with a white or tan sand on top of a chunky mulch like soil (like organic choice) with the top layer being not super uniform in sand, I like the dirty look.

The scape I have in mind might not use any driftwood or if so only one small piece, I want to go with a tier or two of rocks with substrate within the first tier if that makes sense...

As for plants I am not really sure yet what direction to go with, I won't be going with CO2 but my light should be able to support low to mid light requiring plants so I should have more options with plants than my stock led using spec v tank...

Thanks for reading

Last edited by andrewss; 10-23-2012 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: ---
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Hopdiggity on Aquabid just got some great fish in!

I put filterfloss in the airline tubing and it's fine.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

I decided to go for a ball valve because my shipping was free in the order already

I can't wait to keep a betta but I don't know what type to get - I don't know much about these fish
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

couldn't help but order substrate stuff:

Aqua Soil - New Amazonia (3 liters) - Normal
La Plata Sand (2kg)
Sarawak Sand (2.6l)

now all I need it some stone... I want to go with ohko (dragon stone)

gotta figure out if I can find it locally or have to order it online...
Old 10-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
I decided to go for a ball valve because my shipping was free in the order already

I can't wait to keep a betta but I don't know what type to get - I don't know much about these fish
they are very hardy and tolerant of mistakes.
the one thing to note is that you need a cover, as the like to jump every now and then. it really ruins your day to come home and see your fish dead of dehydration 6" away from the tank.
they will do well in most water, but prefer soft water; which is good since aquasoil makes your water soft.
they like warm water. 78F-82F. when/if sick, raise the temps to 82F-84F. they can survive below 75F, but really wont do well and will eventually start to waste away. definitely wont show their colors well.
they will eat anything meant for carnivores, but i strongly advise feeding him a quality diet, as nutrition is one of if not the most important factor to health. i feed my males atisons betta pro (a pelleted food), golden pearls (also pellets), frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms (their favorite), and frozen mysis). i feed once daily and usually skip a day once a week (except when im conditioning for breeding, then ill feed more). stay away from flake food and freeze dried food with these guys. it can cause some pretty serious bloat depending on the individual.
you can show him a mirror every now and then to see him flare. thats when they look their best.
they are pretty intelligent for their size. they can learn to identify different people, and WILL beg for food once they know you are the one that gives it.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #6
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the information!

I have some new life betta food in the mail and I have some blood worms and krill frozen in the freezer already - so I think that will do for a while... I look forward to keeping a betta, just gotta figure out what colors I want
Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

I really cant decide on what rocks I want to scape with...

I am leaning towards ohko (dragonstone) though, I think I might go to the LFS and see what they have on hand (definitely won't have ohko) but maybe I will find something good - plus I might try to get a thin piece of driftwood or two in the mix

But I have decided where to put the tank in my room now, I will replace the cactus and lamp and painting on this end table thing in the corner of my main room

Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
Easiest fish to keep in a small tank. Just wouldn't put any other fish with it. They don't need filtration.

Petsmart has a good selections.

Also Nov 1 an aquarium association in Ohio is having an auction. It is at Tallmadge Community Center, 80 Community Drive, Tallmadge, Ohio

Here pictures of Bettas. Here is a Betta forum. There are many Betta forums. Just google for Betta forums.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
they will eat anything meant for carnivores,
I use to feed mine earthworms cut up.
Hilde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Easiest fish to keep in a small tank. Just wouldn't put any other fish with it. They don't need filtration.
This doesn't mean they don't have a bioload, and don't suffer from ammonia burn and toxic conditions the same way other fish do.
Betta are really neat fish, sure, but they still deserve healthy living conditions, and will always do better in a filtered tank. It's more the aeration they can do with out, as they rely heavily on their Labyrinth organ.

But possibly the point was that they do very well as solitary, focal point fish, and as a solitary fish in a well planted tank, their bioload is easily countered by the plants. I've seen some very lovely nano tanks with Betta as the star :]

[edit] And hey look, here's a fellow forum member with a lovely set of HMPK Betta for sale!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194883

Last edited by theshadybird; 10-23-2012 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: found a helpful thread
theshadybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

Petsmart has a good selections.

Also Nov 1 an aquarium association in Ohio is having an auction. It is at Tallmadge Community Center, 80 Community Drive, Tallmadge, Ohio

Here pictures of Bettas. Here is a Betta forum. There are many Betta forums. Just google for Betta forums.
I might end up getting one online from aquabid or maybe aquarium adventure in columbus... I am not sure yet - probably won't drive up to akron for that event though it sounds interesting - thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
This doesn't mean they don't have a bioload, and don't suffer from ammonia burn and toxic conditions the same way other fish do.
Betta are really neat fish, sure, but they still deserve healthy living conditions, and will always do better in a filtered tank. It's more the aeration they can do with out, as they rely heavily on their Labyrinth organ.

But possibly the point was that they do very well as solitary, focal point fish, and as a solitary fish in a well planted tank, their bioload is easily countered by the plants. I've seen some very lovely nano tanks with Betta as the star :]

[edit] And hey look, here's a fellow forum member with a lovely set of HMPK Betta for sale!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194883
I will be using the stock fluval spec filtration, but adding a ball valve so I can turn down the power of the pump down real low so the betta is happy.

Don't worry I have an api liquid test kit

I will probably get the cycle going fast with water from my spec v and filter media - but will just run it fishless for sometime until it tests in a good range with just plants.

Thanks for all the information! I still have to decide what kind of betta I want... im thinking dark colors

ohhhh and I got an email from ADA and the sand I had wanted was out of stock but no big deal - I will still have their white sand and now the congo sand over the aqua soil.

Plus I bought seiryu stones from a user here and also some plants from a user here - I will post pix and a shoutout to them when the goods arrive
Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #12
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

heh, sorry, I keep betta, and though I'm trying to control my spiel instinct, I get a bit indignant rather easily. I trust you'll take very good care of your eventual betta :]
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
the_intricacy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm guess you're an artist? It's pretty funny how your Pollack-esque paintings are dripping all over your walls and floors!

I think most betta keepers will argue that while you CAN keep bettas in tiny tanks (1-2 gallon tank) it doesn't necessarily mean you should. From my personal experience, smaller tanks means more water changes to keep him (probably a him, right?) healthy, more difficulty keeping the water at a constant and warm temp, and generally more work and a short lifespan for your betta. The last betta I had was kept in a 6 gallon, filtered, with some pygmy cories and an endler or two, when I wasn't breeding them. He seemed pretty healthy (I gave him away after a year when we moved). Tetras and danios will nip his tail, fyi. Most bettas will attack shrimps smaller than a 1/4", and some will go for the larger ones, too.
the_intricacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #14
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

I might just be haha, yeah I don't rent studio space so I have kinda "ruined" this places floors and walls things got out of hand a while ago and I just don't take care for it anymore... but don't worry I always cover my aquarium with a thick towel when paint flies

Yeah, I know what you mean on all that however I do not really want to put him in my endler tank with the shrimps and dwarf cray, so he gets the spec all to himself with perhaps a few snails... I do not mind frequent water changes, as I like the routine and giving fish quality water, I do 20% changes on my 5 gallon tank about once every 4 or 5 days so the spec 2 will get the same treatment.

Last edited by andrewss; 10-24-2012 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

doh! forgot to add this update:

got some packages in the mail today, here is the booty:

so, the latter picture the upgraded 13watt CFL light from fluval was supposed to be ON but alas when switched on all it did was slightly flicker and make a little noise - I guess I got a bunk light... no biggie I will file a claim with amazon (prime!) tonight and I do not need the light until my other packages come in the mail by the end or start of next week, otherwise I would be bummed - but anyway I was happy to sort the filter out with a ball valve and actually managed to get the bulky valve in the filter well WITH a heater squeezed in as well