Pure luck!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Pure luck!

So I decided to clean the impeller on my 2213 today...it's my first time ever doing this (had it running since January oops) and guess what. I broke the shaft with the bushings on it -_-

But! I was inspired to do a planted HOB by a couple of threads on here the other day so I decided to set up a spare AC50 I had hanging around. Could not have been more perfect timing!

Figured everyone here would understand how grateful I am haha my husband just thinks I am crazy.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Best luck with this, I like running my tanks with two filters because I'm paranoid of this situation.

Monitor closely for ammonia spikes. This may trigger a mini cycle, I hope not tho.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Glad you've come up with a creative solution. Can use the same filter media?

Tha tight help prevent spiking.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

The AC has been going for about 2 weeks, I still took some of the bio rings out of the eheim to reduce a spike if there is one. It's a 20h with about a dozen endlers and rcs and is also full of fast growing stems.

I filled the eheim with tank water because I know if it dries all the bacteria will die. What is the best way to keep all the bacteria going? Should I change that water everyday?

Hopefully the part will be here by Wednesday.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you can find a way to aerate the bio media in the eheim that will help to keep it alive. I'm not sure if it needs to be fed fish food or anything like that, it might be a good idea. If you end up feeding it you should probably change the water in it daily (it's only 3 days so that won't be so bad).

Good luck
BenderBendingRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
Jules
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Provided the bacteria have access to oxygen they can survive a long time (like weeks) without any food - they will just go into a semi-dormant state while they wait for things to improve (this will also reduce their oxygen demand, but they still need some oxygen).

Just keep the media in a single layer in a shallow tray or trays (i.e., lots of surface area) - any sort of tray will do (tupperware, baking pan, pie plate, etc), just needs to hold enough water to cover the media.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
BenderBendingRodriguez
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules View Post
provided the bacteria have access to oxygen they can survive a long time (like weeks) without any food - they will just go into a semi-dormant state while they wait for things to improve (this will also reduce their oxygen demand, but they still need some oxygen).

Just keep the media in a single layer in a shallow tray or trays (i.e., lots of surface area) - any sort of tray will do (tupperware, baking pan, pie plate, etc), just needs to hold enough water to cover the media.

+1.
BenderBendingRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote