Lonely Platy?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
KaryPerry
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lonely Platy?

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with two African Dwarf Frogs and two snails (3 if you count the teeny pond snail that came on my driftwood).

My husband surprised me yesterday with 1 platy and 1 guppy. Dumped them right in my tank. Sigh. The guppy is missing its upper lip, is inactive, and does not eat. I removed it to a 5 gallon bucket this morning. I think it has a disease.

I originally wanted a pair of fancy guppies, but now it looks like I am stuck with this platy. Does it need more platys to be happy, or can I still get the pair of guppies I originally wanted?

How long do I need to wait before getting additional fish? i want to be sure I do not have some sort of bubonic plague in my tank.

What should I do with this guppy? See if it lives, or humanely destroy it? If I need destroy it, what is the best way? :-(. Poor fishy.

Sorry if this info is out there. I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
KaryPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Platies are social fish, so more would be a good idea. You could keep about 3 in a 10 gallon tank, even with 2 frogs in there already. Get male Platies only. They will quickly over populate the tank, otherwise.

Euthanasia is simple and humane. Clove oil is best. In low doses it is used for surgery on fish, in higher doses it kills them.

If there is still the option of returning the guppy to the store, even if they will only give you an exchange, do that.

I usually quarantine fish for 1 month. I would set up a separate tank, since you already have frogs. If the new fish need to be medicated you do not want to be treating the frogs.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
KaryPerry
Algae Grower

Thanks Diana! Did I post this in the wrong forum? Never been on forums before. Still trying to figure this all out. :-)
KaryPerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
platys lonely