First Attempt - Planted Nano Tank - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #31
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Welcome to the planted side! (It's very addicting! Watch out hehe) The hard scape looks great and I love the placement of the windelov fern, will look great when it really grows out.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #32
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSoup View Post
In case it's not already assumed, there is plenty of tone here:
It is disgusting to have such blatant disregard for life just because it's "cheap" to replace. Fish can feel, just like you can.
Sorry, this might be a misinterpretation. This isn't a blanket discussion of all fish. Just breeder guppies that have gotten out of control, or cheap feeders like that minnow. This was also addressed, the humane thing to do would be to kill them painlessly and quickly before using them as ammonia additives in place of fish food. IF you wanted to use them as a reliable ammonia additive.

That's also assuming they suffer and die in the cycling tank, for this I want to repeat this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
With the ratio of plants to one minnow and 7 gallons of water. I dont even know why fish abuse is being discussed here.

I would personally enjoy this much more than a feeder tank. <LOL This is not a plant less cycle...(which will probably incite a lot more hate)
Don't assume that I have a disregard for the life of my guppies just because I refer to them as feeders and food fish, I house them in appropriate conditions and give them a happy environment to live out their lives until their impending doom, it's just how it is.

With a great volume of water, a previously established colony of bacteria, and adequate control of the ammonia levels in the tank, the fish will create ammonia and eventually die and add to it. Who said that I put my guppies in to burn in a concentrated ammonia bath? (bah rhetoric flaw)
You are assuming that I use guppies to start the cycle-I don't. I said they usually end up dying-like most feeders do-and that I don't remove their bodies so the bacteria can turn it into ammonia. This was established. They're even fed, so that their waste can turn into ammonia. It's like a light fish cycle, with low ammonia levels. Entirely different topic.

If you want a discussion about the morality of how we should feel and talk about raised fish food, we should take it to a separate place. Why do we need to continue to drag OP's original post away from what it is?

Even though my intentions were not to cause a thread fallout, I've done it again, so, if you have further comments, please PM me. I am willing to hear what you want to say. Your opinion matters to me, if you can show me "the light" I will be willing to "accept it." No more from me. I don't want to get in trouble.

P.S. Ignorance is defined as "lack of knowledge or information," not of conflicting opinions.

Last edited by AVN; 10-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: .
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #33
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSoup View Post
I don't think it's all about the OP anymore. I think it's more about the ethics of fish in cycling.
maybe that should be in another thread then...
aokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #34
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Rob, can you enlighten us about the background of your tank? It looks beautiful, how thick is it, what is it made of? I really like the feeling of depth it gives even before it's submerged. I want to copy it!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #35
RobMc
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks Barbgirl, I went in head first and have really been enjoying it.

Avn, the background is the default foamscape provided with the Fluval Flora. I looked online for you, but I wasn't able to find it sold separately. I agree though, they have done an excellent job with it.

The sand used is simply Petco White Aquarium Sand. It's cheap, looks decent, and is PH neutral.
RobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:06 AM   #36
RobMc
Planted Member

Question for the fish people: I'd like to house Pygmy Cory's in this tank alongside one friendly / curious betta.

I am using a marineland Magnum 350 cannister filter customized with a recirculation gate for a low flow rate into the tank. The filter is filled with fluval bio medium, and wrapped in floss.

I wouldn't like to have less than 7 Pygmy Cory's, for their mental health, but worry that 7 + betta in an 8gal would overstock the tank - even with the incredibly excessive filter / heavy planting.

What's the opinion on this?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #37
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Regular water changes, a clean filter, and light feedings and you can get away with slightly overstocking. As long as you test and the ammonia and nitrate levels are low, your fish won't be harmed.

Even more so if you densely plant.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #38
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

arguing on the Internet is like running in the special Olympics; no matter who wins you are still a bunch of retards.
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
arguing on the Internet is like running in the special Olympics; no matter who wins we are still a bunch of retards.
much better
Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #40
CatSoup
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
arguing on the Internet is like running in the special Olympics; no matter who wins you are still a bunch of retards.
This may be one of those things I feel I may go to hell for laughing at, but damn that made me LOL. =^_^=
CatSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #41
RobMc
Planted Member

Glad this post could be a soapbox for a discussion of ethics. Now don't everyone get your panties in a twist, but the minnows were being brutes in the tank - pulling up plants - engaging in messy spawning behaviors. Ammonia levels have also crept up a little bit. Because of this I euthanized the fish humanely (decap / pithing), ground them up, and used the remains to accelerate the remainder of the cycle.

Plants are looking great / tank is crystal clear. I'll post some more pics later.

Last edited by RobMc; 10-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #42
AVN
Wannabe Guru

^

My man Rob.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #43
aokashi
Wannabe Guru

you killed them :O
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #44
RobMc
Planted Member

Hated the stock Fluval filter - now using a modified Marineland Magnum 350 canister - recirculation / gated output. Wicked over-powered, I love it.

Microsword is a bit messy after the fauna went bull in my china shop.

Can't wait for the wisteria to gain some vert.

Only loose sponge / Primed Fluval Biomedia in the filter - clarity isn't perfect
Old 10-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #45
AVN
Wannabe Guru

It looks amazing, very good scape. You've yet to tell us the secret of your background though, is it just paint, or is it foam?

Tags
anubias, crypt, fluval flora, micro sword, sand