Burrito's Shrimp Tanks - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #46
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very cool, I like your setup and your beautiful shrimps.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #47
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Alright, update time. Much of what I talked about in the last few posts has been done. I have finished scaping and cycling my 20 gallon long and moved all of my taiwan bees to that tank. The scape didn't end up quite how I was planning, but I think turned out quite nice. Hopefully the micro sword survives the low light conditions, if not I will probably go back to my plan of using crypt pavra for between the rock areas. Parameters have stabalized at Temp = 72, gH = 4.5, kH = 0.5, TDS = 100 (roughly), pH = 6.4. Only concern is pH a bit higher than I would like, but I think the taiwan bees will do OK in it.

My CRS (with the addition of some nice SSS specimens) have been added to the 8 gallon Mr Aqua and I have added some more moss, crypts, and floaters to that tank. Thankfully the added plant matter (or just time) has taken care of the BGA I was having.

The Fluval Chi tank has been taken down. I have kept the riparium plants and am trying to grow them in a window sill, It will be interesting to see how they do, humidity may be a problem.

All of my Rilis have been moved out of the 12 gallon long tank and placed to fend for themselves in my community tank. Lets just say my German Blue Rams do a good job of keeping the shrimp population in that tank at a reasonable level.

Full tank shots below, I will include some shrimp photos in a later post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BKK rescape.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	44507  

Name:	CRS rescape.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	44508  

Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 03-29-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 03:45 AM   #48
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

pimp lights in second pic!! what is that/
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #49
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It is an Archaea 18" LED. It is not as bright as it looks in that photo though, it is really only sufficient for low light plants.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 AM   #50
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I call this post Feeding Time, Breeding Time

I love the deep red on the OEBT, spring time breeding really brings out the red in the females.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TB Feeding.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	45971  

Name:	Tiger Feeding.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	45972  

Name:	BKK Berried.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	45973  

Name:	OEBT in the mood.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	45974  

Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #51
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So with summer seemingly coming early (at least here in New Mexico) I thought I would go into how I keep my tanks cool in this rather hot climate (it is a dry heat at least). I use evaporated cooling via small household fans. This isn't all that unique, but I go the extra step to have my fans hooked up to temperature controllers bought via e-bay. If you do a search for "Aquarium Temperature Controllers" you will find what I use. They are cheap but have proven reasonably durable for me so far (with the exception of maybe the probes which only seem to last a year or so...you might see if you can order extra when you order your controller). If you decide to do something like this make sure you get a 110 V model and if you can it is nice to have one that displays in Fahrenheit (although the ones that display in Celsius work perfectly fine, you just have to do a conversion). A photo of a unit can be seen below

There is some wiring involved which while isn't that hard, does take a bit of time to figure out the first time you do it. Wiring diagrams can be found readily via google and I will be willing to help as well if anyone follows this, just pm me. You have to wire in a plug as well as some sort of outlet. Once done the result is you can just plug any fan you want in (that runs off 110V) and your temp will be controlled to whatever set point you decide (I usually go for 73 in the summer for my tanks). This is much better control of temperature than you could ever obtain with just a timer and keeps the temp within 1 degree of the set point. Accuracy has been quite close for me with these things reading within 1 degree of a calibrated laboratory thermometer (it is handy to be a chemist every once in awhile).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temp controller.jpg
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	45975  

Name:	plug.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	45976  

Name:	probe.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	45977  

Name:	fan.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	45978  

Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #52
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And some random Shrimp Shots to end the night, with lots of love for my CRS adults, juvies, and babies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Random BKK.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	45979  

Name:	SSS CRS.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	45980  

Name:	SS CRS Juvie.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	45981  

Name:	A CRS baby.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	45983  

Name:	crs filter.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	46041  

Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 04-21-2012 at 04:09 AM..
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #53
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've had a super busy summer and haven't posted at all really. Shrimp tanks are still doing well although I am having some issues with deaths in my Tangerine/OEBT tank and very poor baby survival. Parameters look fine, have tried a large water change, and treating with paraguard. It is not something that is wiping out the tank (at least not yet), but getting quite a few more deaths than what is normal in my experience. May be related to heat, but I have a fan on the tank to keep it cool during the summer. Can't sell anything from that tank until I figure out what is going on which is a bit of a bummer. Taiwan Bee tank had a great summer and I got a tank full of juvie BKKs and some hybrids as well. I'll post some updated pics in a bit.

Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 09-30-2012 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #54
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Moving time

Well, I am going to be going through a long distance move and faced some difficult decisions about what to do with my tanks. Right now the plan is to completely break down my TT/OEBT tank (12 gallon long). I have RAOK the shrimp and will be breaking down and completely sterilizing the tank. Stay tuned though, I am planning to restart that tank as a Sulawesi Cardinal tank. My CRS tank (7.8 gallon bow front Mr. Aqua) I am selling off the shrimp and am selling off the tank as well locally. The only tank I am going to try and move as is is my 20 gallon long Taiwan Bee tank. They have been breeding well for me and I really like this tank. The plan right now is to pack the shrimp up in breather bags, drain almost all of the tank water, and move the tank with plants and gravel still in the tank. It will be two hard days of driving, but I should be able to have it back up and running in less than 48 hours.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #55
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

beautiful shrimpy pix
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.