Please help! ultimate schooling fish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

View Poll Results: harlequin rasbora's or rummy nose tetra's
rummy nose tetra 10 55.56%
harlequin rasbora 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

Please help! ultimate schooling fish!

hello TPT members! it's almost time to stock my 60-p and I'm still not sure what type of fish I should get. I'm looking for a fish that has a balance between these three criteria: COLOR (if I'm going to get fish,they at least should look ok) SCHOOLING CAPABILITIES(minimal stray fish, it's fine if there are one or two off to the side. I really like seeing the fish turn all together when they reach the end of the tank) and lastly SMALL SIZE (this one is very important because I want to have the tank understocked but still have a nice amount of fish.

I'm currently considering these fish
harlequin rasbora
celestial pear danios( heard they are a little shy and am not sure about schooling capabilities)
rummy nose tetras(heard they eat plants and are not they most colorful)

well guys, leave a suggestion below on what fish I should get. I'm not the most knowledgeable on the different types of nano/schooling fish there are out there. any advice or input is greatly appreciated

-tetra10
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
starrlamia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rummy nose are good schoolers, never had them eat plants and under good conditions and lighting have bright red noses and black and white tails.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I love harlequin rasboras and was gonna mention them before I saw them on your list. They are small, but not nano fish tho so they may not be as small as you want. They are very peaceful, hardy fish tho and they are beautiful.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
I love harlequin rasboras and was gonna mention them before I saw them on your list. They are small, but not nano fish tho so they may not be as small as you want. They are very peaceful, hardy fish tho and they are beautiful.
yeah I totally agree! I'm just not sure on how well they school. does anyone have any input on how tightly harlequins school and if they are active?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
Rummy nose are good schoolers, never had them eat plants and under good conditions and lighting have bright red noses and black and white tails.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
I actually fell in love the first time I saw them at my LFS. they swam from one side to the other and schooled tightly. the coloration is what is stopping me.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I only have 4 right now, down from 6 origianlly. My tank is a hex so there's not alot of schooling room, but they do stay together pretty well and they are almost always moving. There are no predators in my tank for them to worry about tho, if there was they'd probably stay tighter. I'd give them a 6 or 7 out of 10 in my set up.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

My neon tetras always schol together.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
yeah I totally agree! I'm just not sure on how well they school. does anyone have any input on how tightly harlequins school and if they are active?
I have about 50 in a 55g holding tank while I DSM my 125g. they school after about 2 minutes of putting them in the tsnk and have been since, they are very active so far.
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #9
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok right now Im deciding between harlequins and rummy's. does any one know how to start a poll?

EDIT: figured out how to add a poll. should have searched before I asked. my bad.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok I am pretty sure that I will choose the rummys but I have heard they eat plants and shrimp. I know they will eat shrimp lets but I doubt they could fit a full sized shrimp in there mouths. anyone have extra info/experiences to share about this topic?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

You should close one of the 2 threads/polls you have on this same subject. Rummynoses will school more in the middle and bottom strata while harlequins school more towards the upper and middle strata.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Exie
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Exie Send a message via Skype™ to Exie

I love my rasboras. My LFS recently had a buy 2 get 1 on them, I picked up a lot xD

They school very prettily.
Exie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
sarahspins
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
celestial pear danios( heard they are a little shy and am not sure about schooling capabilities)
I have mine with some guppies and they shoal with the guppies just fine... they're always out and about now, and they go straight for the food when I feed them - which was something else I'd worried about since a lot of people said they never saw them eat and they starved. Mine did hide a lot for the first week or two that I had them, but they haven't since.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Rene02
Algae Grower

I've kept both of these species, and I have to say, the rummynose tetras are better. Harlequin rasboras may be a little hardier, but they can get a little aggressive come feeding time :p. Rummynose tetras also act like an indicator species, to a certain extent, because they will lose their deep red coloration on their faces when the water quality goes south. So yea, imo, rummynose tetras are the way to go
Rene02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Rene02
Algae Grower

Quote:
hello TPT members! it's almost time to stock my 60-p and I'm still not sure what type of fish I should get. I'm looking for a fish that has a balance between these three criteria: COLOR (if I'm going to get fish,they at least should look ok) SCHOOLING CAPABILITIES(minimal stray fish, it's fine if there are one or two off to the side. I really like seeing the fish turn all together when they reach the end of the tank) and lastly SMALL SIZE (this one is very important because I want to have the tank understocked but still have a nice amount of fish.

I'm currently considering these fish
harlequin rasbora
rummy nose tetras(heard they eat plants and are not they most colorful)

well guys, leave a suggestion below on what fish I should get. I'm not the most knowledgeable on the different types of nano/schooling fish there are out there. any advice or input is greatly appreciated

-tetra10
rummy nose tetras are extremely colorful under the proper conditions, and they don't eat plants :P, and they will turn all together when they reach the end of the tank :p
Rene02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, nano, school