Anyone from Alaska still on here? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Alaska

Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
HappyNewMe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey, does anybody want to order some plants online together and split the shipping cost?
I really need to update my tank...
HappyNewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #17
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Hey, does anybody want to order some plants online together and split the shipping cost?
I really need to update my tank...
Any idea from where or who?
Assassynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #18
HappyNewMe
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassynation View Post
Any idea from where or who?
Sure! One of the three:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/ (has the cheapest prices and great selection, but highest shipping to AK ($13.99 + 19.99 Alaska surcharge). Split by two, it's not as bad, especially when buying 10+ plants. Or, if split by three

www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/ This is where I got most of my plants from: selection smaller, prices quite a bit higher, but shipping is only flat $11.89.

Another looked promising: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ They calculate shipping by weight/quantity, but still - the more is ordered, the better deal it becomes.
Soooo?
I am sort of running out of time... and, the weather is not getting any warmer
Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 AM   #19
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I have heard that fish tanks are pretty popular in Alaska. The winter is so long, cold and dark that it helps to liven up the home or office to have aquariums.
It's not bad here in Anchorage, but north of fairbanks gets 30 days of no sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyeskaGirl View Post
Hi! I live in SE Alaska.
welcome, to the forum

Quote:
It's been 3 years this summer.
Came here from LA, and before that, originally - from Russia
cool, I don't know about LA but california is pretty nice. You know you can see Russia from Alaska... lol
Old 10-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #20
Assassynation
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Sure! One of the three:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/ (has the cheapest prices and great selection, but highest shipping to AK ($13.99 + 19.99 Alaska surcharge). Split by two, it's not as bad, especially when buying 10+ plants. Or, if split by three

www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/ This is where I got most of my plants from: selection smaller, prices quite a bit higher, but shipping is only flat $11.89.

Another looked promising: http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ They calculate shipping by weight/quantity, but still - the more is ordered, the better deal it becomes.
Soooo?
I am sort of running out of time... and, the weather is not getting any warmer
Those site look okay. I have to look for it again but there is a source here on one of these forum that sell great looking plants cheaper that what we can buy them from online retailers.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
HappyNewMe
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassynation View Post
Those site look okay. I have to look for it again but there is a source here on one of these forum that sell great looking plants cheaper that what we can buy them from online retailers.
This would be great, for sure!
Though, I mainly needed hair grass, and I thought that one is not as easy to grow enough to sell commercially, for a hobbyist.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #22
HappyNewMe
Algae Grower

OMG, I finally see what I really-really wanted, available! Hair grass mat is back in stock on http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....Mat-DHGMAT.htm

I guess I better order quick, either way. Too bad that so far nobody else was interested I also really would've loved to buy locally, but haven't seen it (mat) anywhere.

P.S.: What would you guys recommend for weighing the plants down with? (those that need it)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #23
Pgaks3
Algae Grower

Here pond just went to crap and my 10g isnt doing much better, but hanging in there.

Sheb
Pgaks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #24
Pgaks3
Algae Grower

Still here, pond just went to hell and 10g planted isnt doin to great either, but still here.

Sheb
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #25
AlyeskaGirl
Algae Grower

I'd like to do a pond some day but having a Black Bear running around in the spring-fall sort of thinks not the best idea. Lol

I hope your pond and tank are ok.
AlyeskaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #26
Fearless

I'm still here. Got a 20 gallon long thats home to emerald and galaxy rasboras, a burmese loach, bristlenose plec and a couple shrimp. Plus lots of anubias and some java fern.
1 badis?
1 bristlenose plec
3 cherry shrimp
1 bumblebee shrimp
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
Trochilids

I come back to the forum every now and then. Live in Wasilla. Doing mostly low-tech planted tanks with fish. Two 40Bs (Anubias, java fern, vals, crypts with Firemouth Cichlids and Swords in one, and lost of java fern, anubia and crypts with neons, SAE, and cories in the other) An older 55 gallon being overrun by vals -- great hiding spot for the male beta, and a couple odd tetras and a left-over red-tailed shark. It's mostly a plant tank now -- kinda let it go wild. Started a 10 gallon Red Cherry Shrimp-only tank a couple weeks ago. A few stem plants, small crypts, java fern and moss in that one. Combined all the assorted shrimp that were hiding in my 55 gallon into this 10 to try to give them a better life! And just setting up a 45 gallon tall for angels and maybe Bolivian Rams once it cycles.

Fun stuff. I'll have to come back to this Alaska subforum often. It was pretty quiet the last time I checked it last spring... ;-)

--Trochilids
Wasilla
Trochilids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #28
Pgaks3
Algae Grower

My pond is indoors, it's a 160 gallon preformed, it houses 2 Red Eared Sliders, had 10 big gold fish that were feeder fish that my turtles never ate. When my pump failed I think something got spilled into the pond as well, because the water went bad really quick, bought new pump, broke down pond and cleaned everything, got it back up and running again. Turtles are happy, I added 5 feeders last week, they are doing fine, turtles seem uninterested in them, and thinking about a school of tetras or other schooling fish.

Also anyone have any overgrown clippings they want to get rid of let me know, need some foliage in the pond.

Sheb

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
grogan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
OMG, I finally see what I really-really wanted, available! Hair grass mat is back in stock on http://shop.plantedaquariumscentral....Mat-DHGMAT.htm

I guess I better order quick, either way. Too bad that so far nobody else was interested I also really would've loved to buy locally, but haven't seen it (mat) anywhere.

P.S.: What would you guys recommend for weighing the plants down with? (those that need it)
$14.99 and with shipping im guessing they come out to around $20. We sell the at AK Corals for $25...and you get to look at them before you buy it. And trust me when I say that when ordering mats they often show up looking like crap. Plus I can get them all day long and even in full square foot mats!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
grogan
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was getting ready to put in an order for next week if you are still interested.