GLA Green Fert Pkg: Micros & Macros, NOW WHAT?!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
aquatickid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

GLA Green Fert Pkg: Micros & Macros, NOW WHAT?!!

Hi guys, i ordered GLA's green fert package that consist of the following dry ferts.

Plantex CSM+B,K2SO4 potassium sulfate, KH2PO4 mono potassium phosphate, and KNO3 potassium nitrate.

I have 4 giesemann 39w aquaflora and 2 colormax bulbs. I do not have a co2 system but i do dose liquid co2. I hope to have a system some day but not right now, money is tight. Any suggestions would be awsome.

this is what it looked like when it started yellowing

NOW IT HAS BLACK SPOTS AND YELLOWING AND LIGHT BROWN! WTF am i not getting?

aquatickid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
aquatickid
Algae Grower

I found this calculator. However, it calls for magnesium sulphate and i have potassium sulphate. Is that different? And i'm guessing my trace elements would be the plantex CSM+B?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

turn down the lighting which i think was suggested last time, try using 2 39 watts and one colormax

and take in mind anything u do takes 2 weeks to show up as far as plant growth is concerned.. U HAVE A LOT OF LIGHT, for no co2
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

1+ on the "too much light for no co2" also, anubias is a low light plant. try to reposition it so that there is less indirect sunlight. good luck.
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
turn down the lighting which i think was suggested last time, try using 2 39 watts and one colormax

and take in mind anything u do takes 2 weeks to show up as far as plant growth is concerned.. U HAVE A LOT OF LIGHT, for no co2
So, if i implement a co2 system i can blast it with all six bulbs? Is diy co2 any different than a system (other than the convenience of not having to mix crap all the time?)

I have the anubius kinda tucked under the wood, it doesn't get as much light though, but since i added the extra two bulbs it has gotten worse so i agree that the light is too damn much! Any advice on the dosing though?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Their site has a fertilzier calculator on it, right above where you bought the fertilizer packages.

As someone suggested, lower it to 2-3 bulbs and shorten the time on it.

You have more lights on a longer cycle than I do on my reef tank. I have 2x39W T5HO on 8 hours/day especially your plant stocking levels isn't that much.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I am fairly new to this but I have learned that too much light can really throw everything out of balance quickly. Shorten the lighting period in addition to the using fewer tubes per previous commentors.

A diy CO2 yeast reactor running on a tank is better than excel alone with higher lighting I think. Pressurized is absolutely the way to go if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket. I'm happy with my pressurized set up.

You asked about Magnesium sulphate. This is just plain old Epsom salts, available at you local grocery store.
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beginragnarok View Post
I am fairly new to this but I have learned that too much light can really throw everything out of balance quickly. Shorten the lighting period in addition to the using fewer tubes per previous commentors.

A diy CO2 yeast reactor running on a tank is better than excel alone with higher lighting I think. Pressurized is absolutely the way to go if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket. I'm happy with my pressurized set up.

You asked about Magnesium sulphate. This is just plain old Epsom salts, available at you local grocery store.
i asked because the calculator has that as an option vut the fert pack i bough has potassium sulfate instead so i was wondering if it differed. I have to research that a bit.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:24 AM   #9
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I think you have every thing but missing the most important. Co2
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
aquatickid
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts88 View Post
I think you have every thing but missing the most important. Co2
Lol! I agree! I bought two co2 tanks from CL but it seems I got screwed because the are soda stream bottles and I can't find a place in Fredericksburg va to fill them! I want to buy a system but i just can't afford it right now. That's next on my list for sure though.