Geologists Out There?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
emilmiot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Geologists Out There?

Any geologists out there who can tell me what type of rock this is? I got it years ago in the upper peninsula of Michigan. I had it in a tank many years ago without any issues but I'm curious if anyone knows why kind of rock it is? I believe it is some type of iron formation as small flakes of it are attracted to magnets. It is glittery and grey but striated with reddish layers in between. Any thoughts are appreciated?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	55320  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	55321  

The Fraternity of Dirt #108
emilmiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Callyft
Algae Grower

Check into banded iron formation
Callyft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm guessing the metallic/sparklys might be hematite?

I don't really know whether that could cause problems or not, but if you've had it in a tank previously and it worked out... *shrugs*
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think there is way too much time spent on what things we put in the tank might be. We want to have a name so we can look on a list and see if it is listed as safe/ hazardous. What we don't like is the feeling of not knowing. But that is where things get tricky. There is no "standard" answer which is correct in all cases. Much depends on what we want from the decor we put in the tank. If we have hard water and want it to drift softer, adding some driftwood may do it. If we have hard water and want soft, don't add a huge chunk of limestone!
Meanwhile it is much simpler to go with what we like and find out what happens. Since rocks are pretty slow to degrade, it is unlikely any rock is going to change your water overnight if it is not already way off the chart acidic.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
emilmiot
Algae Grower

I was more just curious as to what kind of rock it might be from an educational perspective and I thought perhaps this would be a good place to ask. With the iron contained in the rock I wondered too if it would provide any benefit to the plants. The pictures don't do it justice but it's actually really cool looking rock, and very dense as I can tell by the weight. I wonder if it isn't hematite? Hematite is certainly found in the area I picked these up at.
Now I just have to figure out how to best incorporate it into the scenery.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
emilmiot
Algae Grower

Callyft, I think you nailed it on the head! A couple of google image searches matched what I have with "banded iron formation". Found a good description of the rock contents on one site: "alternating bands of red chert (jasper; cryptocrystalline quartz - SiO2), red hematite (iron oxide - Fe2O3), and silvery-gray specular hematite (iron oxide - Fe2O3)."
Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
longbeach
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

One thing to keep in mind, irreguardless of the rock type, is that sparkly rocks rarely stay that way in an aquarium, unless you plan on periodically scrubbing them.

I tried putting large quartz crystals in a tank once, clear and Amethyst and they lost their sheen pretty fast....still looked interesting but not the sparkly crystals that I had envisioned!!!
longbeach is offline   Reply With Quote