ginormous - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #16
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Unless the water velocity is pretty high, bubbles do float up. That is why if the wrong end of that horizontal reactor is higher than the other end, bubbles will collect at that end, out of the high velocity flow. If you introduce the CO2 as micro-bubbles, then they will never manage to float up, but will just follow the flow. But I didn't see anything in this one that would produce micro-bubbles.
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #17
BreakingBread
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

the reactor is loaded with bioballs and at the end of the reactor where the entrance to the 1" pvc is, its has biobale. I am hoping that this will help break up some of the bubbles. I havent seen big bubbles come out or the reactor yet which would tell me there is co2 build up, but ill keep monitoring it.
sump pimp #19
BreakingBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #18
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

I can't phathom a reason to build one this big. Other than to say so. I have made pretty big units and never an issue or efficiency problem.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #19
BreakingBread
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
I can't phathom a reason to build one this big. Other than to say so. I have made pretty big units and never an issue or efficiency problem.
There is no claim being made that this is more efficient, the only reason why its long is because the reactor is being ran horizontal instead of vertical. Plus i had to buy the 4" pvc at a minimal length, so i cut one foot off it and built it to fit behind the stand. We enjoy the equipment aspect of the hobby just as much as the stuff inside the tank
sump pimp #19
BreakingBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #20
mechtec
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Unless the water velocity is pretty high, bubbles do float up. That is why if the wrong end of that horizontal reactor is higher than the other end, bubbles will collect at that end, out of the high velocity flow. If you introduce the CO2 as micro-bubbles, then they will never manage to float up, but will just follow the flow. But I didn't see anything in this one that would produce micro-bubbles.
ok if the co2 bubbles collect at the input end, they would continue to build up and grow to the point that they would interfere with the water flow, and at that point begin to travel along with the water flow? So one could have a build up of bubbles, but only to a point. just trying to think this out in a logical way?

gary
Canon Pimp Club #059
mechtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #21
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtec View Post
ok if the co2 bubbles collect at the input end, they would continue to build up and grow to the point that they would interfere with the water flow, and at that point begin to travel along with the water flow? So one could have a build up of bubbles, but only to a point. just trying to think this out in a logical way?

gary
Yes, I agree with that. The problem would be that the big bubble of CO2 didn't get dissolved into the water so the efficiency of the reactor would suffer. My external reactor, vertical, also built up a big bubble at the top, and it worked fine for me, but I knew it could be more efficient if the bubble didn't build up.

Breaking bread, I also enjoy working with the equipment as much as the rest of the hobby too. (I would say I enjoy it more, but I know I'm supposed to enjoy the plants and fish the most.)
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
mechtec
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Hoppy;2044164]Yes, I agree with that. The problem would be that the big bubble of CO2 didn't get dissolved into the water so the efficiency of the reactor would suffer. My external reactor, vertical, also built up a big bubble at the top, and it worked fine for me, but I knew it could be more efficient if the bubble didn't build up.

Maybe i didn't explain it enough, At the point that the bubble is large enough to come with in the path of the water, the main stuck bubble stays in place,, but new c02 bubble have no choice but to follow along with the water movement, The suck bubble if you will acts like a wall stopping more bubble from collecting. Making it like we didn't have a stuck problem at all, after all we are talking about a very tiny part of the reactor. So the rest of the reactor is behaving as planned? If the c02 was not dissolving into the water, then i would see bubbles coming out of the reactor, because c02 can't stay in the reactor forever, it must come out.... Looking at the discharge clear flex hose I can see very very tiny bubbles and as it dumps into the return section of the sump i can't see any bubbles at all. I am still waiting for my drop checker to come in. I am very curious as to how c02 we have in the tank. Right now we our doing about 3 bubbles a sec, I hope that is enough? The fish don't seem stressed out.

gary
Canon Pimp Club #059
mechtec is offline   Reply With Quote