The Teeny-Tiny Tank (From the Alliterative Aquarist!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Teeny-Tiny Tank (From the Alliterative Aquarist!)

Ah ha ha. I crack myself up.

But seriously. I have been meandering through Marshalls and have discovered a debatable diamond. (I'm going to keep doing this.) The have a little glass candle cube, and it's super cute (cue groans.)

(Okay, I'm done.)

It's probably a half gallon, or thereabouts. I'd love to have a tiny little shrimp tank, or maybe a snail, or something. Just. Something TINY. Maybe nothing but a moss and a small driftwood hardscape? I've never done much with actual hardscape before. I know in aquariums, tiny isn't better, but in this case I'd love to have just the little bitty micro doo-dah. Might not even bother with fauna, and just have some plants in there? Is that even a thing, to have un-populated tanks? If I worked it like a riparium, maybe?

I honestly don't know. I just really want something tiny and pretty and alive on my desk.

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Silmarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

1/2 gallon is perfectly do-able. I've got no-tech tanks running from a 1"x1"x2.5" acrylic box up to a 3g planted vase--plenty of .5-1g tanks in between. Various snails, ghost shrimp and cherry culls are the range of inhabitants. Though the 3g also has some endler/guppy hybrids.

This one-in a standard highball-- sits at eye level by my computer: sand, six types of plants and MTS. Weekly 50% wc, indirect sunlight supplemented by a full spectrum bulb reading lamp nearby.

Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
jacketherington
Algae Grower

Have you considered making it into a terrarium instead? I have recently gotten into them. There are some very cool pictures of them online. And you can use moss collected in your backyard.
jacketherington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
1/2 gallon is perfectly do-able. I've got no-tech tanks running from a 1"x1"x2.5" acrylic box up to a 3g planted vase--plenty of .5-1g tanks in between. Various snails, ghost shrimp and cherry culls are the range of inhabitants. Though the 3g also has some endler/guppy hybrids.
I've seen some of the pictures you've posted of your nanos in other threads, they're absolutely gorgeous! They were partially my inspiration. I'm just concerned with getting the right plants and such for them. I'd be a little afraid of putting a shrimp into something so small... But maybe I'm underestiamting them? And MTS don't get very big, do they? What plants do you commonly use?

10g "Community" of nothing but Danios - 2g (barely) planted Betta - 2.5g Betta - 1g Pond Snail Repository

My aquascape style tends towards 'tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere...'
Old 10-15-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've done several 1/2 gallon and less tanks/bowls. My advice is to over plant and go slowly, a cycle will take MUCH longer in a smaller volume of water. (that being said, I've successfully introduced cherry shirmp into a 1/4 gallon no-cap dirt cube that was only days old, go figure) It's hard to scape in such a small space, but it's a very fun challenge. And if you don't like it, redo it! It's easy with small things.
Kehy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

About "scaping" in tiny spaces, I have to admit that, once you hit around two gallons and less, it's hard to even conceptualize what makes a "good" scape. Maybe it's just because I'm new to this whole 'live plants' thing, but my aquascape style tends towards "tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere."

Clearly, I have a truly sophisticated artistic palate.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

I'm not big on formal scaping, so these little vases and bowls are more about just enjoying the process for me. There *are* folks who do phenomenal miniaturized creations, but you start having to get into some massive planning and materials resourcing in terms of scaled hardscape and plants for that.

You'll be amazed at how well ordinary plants will do in very small vessels. Originally I figured the low bioload was responsible for the slower/smaller growth patterns--but even with moderate fertilization being added and higher light levels, regular plants just plain grow smaller. Even in a sand capped dirt substrate.

The crypts I use come from a mother plant I bought over a decade ago from a chain store--no label, no idea of the variety. I have used crypt wendtii in my larger (.5-3g) vases, using only the smallest new plants off a mother plant and they've tended to stay small for me.

The only specially small plant I've bought is dwarf pennywort, the rest are all cuttings from my main tank plants: cardamine lyrata, baby tears, star grass, temple plant, various hygrophila, xmas moss, glosso, and, of course, floaters: frog bit, duckweed, red root floaters, various salvinia, spikey guppy grass, and hornwort.

One trick for getting really small growth to plant from a hygrophila is to cut a portion of stem with 1 node, leaving one or both leaves attached. Float it in the small bowl and in awhile (a few days to a few weeks depending on variety and conditions), you'll get a new tiny plantlet and roots growing from the node. Plant that and you'll get small tight growth so long as you don't blast your tiny tank with too high of light intensity.

Oh--and as for the cycling---tiny bioload means tiny need of beneficial bacteria. Even without seeding the substrate the bacteria carried in on the plants will be enough to get things started. Adding a "pest" snail or two right away helps keep it rolling along.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

This only reminds me how many more plants I feel like I ought to have, haha. I've only got, scattered among all of my tanks, several argentine swords, an amazon sword, one unidentified aponegentin sp. from a 'betta bulb', a bunch of anacharis, some riccia, and something whose species I've been unable to confirm, but which the tube said was "Bolbitis heterclita"...? It looks more like asiatica, but not quite....? Blah. Lol.

But that's all I have. I need more variety, but that can't happen until after I get a better light, I'm thinking...

Anyway, that's all another reason why I am hesitating to get the little glass cube nano (micro? ultra-nano? I feel like there should be a division for the ultra-tiny ones...)

Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
jemminnifener
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
About "scaping" in tiny spaces, I have to admit that, once you hit around two gallons and less, it's hard to even conceptualize what makes a "good" scape. Maybe it's just because I'm new to this whole 'live plants' thing, but my aquascape style tends towards "tall in the back, short in the front, lots and lots of green and stuff. And maybe a rock somewhere."
I feel you there. That's exactly how I scape! I kind of do the move and muse method. How does it look here? No? Yes? I'll try over here. Hm... huh. Then after a few of these cycles, I just give up and stick it somewhere. A couple days later, 1/3 of the plants are unrooted and floating around.
jemminnifener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmarwen View Post
This only reminds me how many more plants I feel like I ought to have, haha. I've only got, scattered among all of my tanks, several argentine swords, an amazon sword, one unidentified aponegentin sp. from a 'betta bulb', a bunch of anacharis, some riccia, and something whose species I've been unable to confirm, but which the tube said was "Bolbitis heterclita"...? It looks more like asiatica, but not quite....? Blah. Lol.

But that's all I have. I need more variety, but that can't happen until after I get a better light, I'm thinking...

Anyway, that's all another reason why I am hesitating to get the little glass cube nano (micro? ultra-nano? I feel like there should be a division for the ultra-tiny ones...)
Reaaaallly tiny tanks are sometimes called "pico" tanks--but that's usually reserved for ones that have to be filled with an eyedropper.

Easiest lighting is a lamp with a bendable or multi-jointed arm so you can position the bulb directly over the tank and easily adjust the height. Toss in a full spectrum bulb with the highest lumens you can find--done. If it can get some indirect sunlight, even better. You aren't going to be looking for rampant growth, so you won't need to blast it with high light levels.

Petco usually has both cardamine lyrata and a small variety of green leafed crypt available and I've seen dwarf hair grass, baby tears and a variety of smaller plants ("small" in either the mature form or just small because it's very young growth-either works for a micro-tank) in pre-packaged bags.

You could also try posting a WTB here--let 'em know you're looking to get a variety of stem plants and only need very short clippings. I suspect you'd be able to get a whole variety of someone's prunings (1-3" long snips rather than the usual full sized stems most people are selling) for little more than the cost of shipping--plenty to experiment with.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #11
Silmarwen
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'll most definitely keep that in mind when/if I put this together, but with what's happened with Pearlicus now, I am going to put all my energy (and money...!) towards getting him into a better spot before I worry about getting anything else new.