Which power tool brands do you like? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

View Poll Results: Which brand(s) do you own and/or prefer?
Dewalt 18 50.00%
Ryobi 4 11.11%
Milwaukee 11 30.56%
Makita 7 19.44%
Black & Decker 3 8.33%
Porter & Cable 4 11.11%
Bosch 11 30.56%
Skil 5 13.89%
Ridgid 6 16.67%
Dremel 11 30.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #31
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Just wondering what brand power tools you prefer. I am just now starting to work on building up a collection of power tools (and of course hand tools). I am about to make another purchase because I am going to be building a couple stands for my tank and I am not quite sure which brand to go with.
well u really need to ask what am i looking to get out of it? makitas are nice for home use but they dont do what a similar dewalt does power wise, but they make up for that in size. i have something from just about every one of those brands an every single one has its -/+. hell i still got 3 combo kits of dewalt and one very large makita.

got the makita for home use and went into construction did fine but everyone has dewalt so its nice to use batteries that are all around and the dewalts just had more power, i didnt like to say that but first hand proof was there.

so if its for home use like i think your prob going to use it 95% for then get whatever is in your price range. fyi dont go with the white makita there a step down from the normal stuff, shop around i have found some sick deals i got two of my dewalt kits for $230ish for a 4pack was on sale.

another thing to do is check the battery dates sucks having them go out and there not cheap. i normally look for them to be 6-12months old max they can/do degrade with time.

to kevmo idk if they do have "seconds" for sales or at least i dont think they do or havent heard of them doing it so far.
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

How bout this? 2 tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-P...=impact+driver
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #33
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Lol! Meant 2.5hp

Plunge? I rarely used that, I would just get the porter cable. With smaller routers you end up frustrated at some point as if you got a 12v cordless drill or something! Lol

I meant "sawzall", geez dude who calls a jig saw "reciprocating saw" lol!

OP:
Please make sure to get properly trained to use power tools, there is many ways to get seriously hurt. Safety first!
I'd still recommend the compact router over a full size to start out. Wood magazine did a review this month and the Dewalt was the first choice even over the P-C. The P-C doesn't have variable speed. It will do most of what routing a person would normally do and is better on smaller projects. I have 3.25hp plunge and rarely ever use it. Even if it wasn't a plunge I probably still wouldn't use it. Way too heavy for anything but a table mount. My 690s handle most of my work. Including raised panels and arched doors.

The plunge I do use but on a smaller router. If you're not using it your not doing any mortises or plunge routing. I do both. A mortise and tenon is a far superior joint to most any other.
I'd never recommend a recip either. I've got a couple and rarely use either one. And I've never used one for cabinet making or woodworking only use it when putting up buildings. More for taking them down though.

Safety Glasses!!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!Safety Glasses!!!!
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #34
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Sounds way too cheap. Plus it's NiCad not lithium. I'd pass.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #35
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Own and prefer are two different things. I own some Black and Decker cordless stuff. It's been good to me. I will only buy 18v tools. That said, in my construction days, I used Dewalt and Mikita and they were both great. I'd prefer tools of that quality, but my budget doesn't allow it and honestly, I don't need those higher end tool. Hand tools, same deal, Craftsman has been decent but I've recently started switch to Kobalt stuff. The ergonomics are much better. Would I like a garage full of MAC or Snap-on? Sure. But I don't need it and it would be a waste of money for me to buy tools that expensive for no more than I use them.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #36
morgan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Milwaukee - highest price tool , built to last
Dewalt / Makita - again high priced and well built
Bosch - trades man / diy border line , well built

The rest imo are cheap imitations lol
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #37
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post

Maybe but my B&D did last nearly 10 years until it recently bit the dust and that was due to a 15 foot fall off a ladder on to concrete. Not the first time, this time was just the one that finally finished the job.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #38
GraphicGr8s
Supreme ruler & master

Quote:

With all due respect generalities in general are too general.
Porter Cable makes some darn god tools. What about in stationary tools? Laguna is a cheap imitation? Powermatic too? Delta makes some dynamite tools also. Well they did not sure since they've been sold again.

And all of the best companies have had some duds. Some of them just don't feel right in your hand. That's why the tool tests magazines do are so important when laying out a fair amount of money for a tool. All of the tools out there will work and most will last an average woodworker a long time. The tests tell you about the accuracy, ease of adjustments, bit changes, blade changes, how they feel, etc. In the compact router test Dewalt and PC stood out. Dewalt came in first because of ease of adjustment (among other things) over the other brands. One thing the PC lacked was variable speed. Dewalt had it.

And the cheap imitations have their place. Like my air stapler. I needed it for one job. Recovering some chairs. Normally would have bought P-C. But it didn't make sense. I paid $25 for it. I used it for the chairs, put up aluminum fascia and more and it's still going. Does it feel as good in my hand as my P C? Do I think it will last as long as a P C? God no. But for $25 it did more than I expected.

BTW my B&D single speed non reversing corded drill still is going. My father bought it at least 40 years ago and used the hell out of it. So did I for a while. And I am still using it with my Kreg jig.
Generally generalities in general are too general.

Nubster, Craftsman mechanic tools are great. I've rebuilt many engines with mine. But there are time with the new engines where the thickness of the metal on a Craftsman open end will prevent you from getting the nut off. Snap Ons are much thinner and stronger. Fortunately I can walk down to the neighbor and borrow his snap ons for those occasions.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #39
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:

I think not a single brand make all their tools as good.
Some brands are good at cordless 18v, some at corded, some at saws, and for shop stationary tools like delta, general, time savers, etc its even more true.

You can get all ADA about this and get all your tools from the same brand and get their jacket, gloves and hat.

The truth is that when you are freelancing and working with contracts and budgets, price and quality needs to be balanced.

If it was the case to buy the best of the most expensive then go get FESTOOL, I've used them all and their $500 drill made holes as well as my 18v RYOBI for 1/10 of the price and I let the other guys a the jobsite borrow it, unlike my friend with his unpopular FESTOOL. Geez, the $1200 festool plunge circular saw and it's rail we're awesome but I made a $10 jig with plywood for my makita.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, poll, power tools, tools