5.5 Gallon Dario Dario tank - Planted now! 11-4-12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default Pictures!

As promised, here are the pictures I've been talking about, though a bit late as the images and I had an argument.

First Picture-
Here is the driftwood I purchased. It'll be stood up in the tank about like this, with this side facing front. My tank is 16 inches long, and this is about 12, so it should fill it up nicely.

Second Picture-
And here is the back side. Not nearly as interesting, but still quite lovely.

Third Picture-
This is a basic shot of the 5 gal as it is right now. Houses one male betta (The lovely KT), an Apple Snail, a bunch of Ramshorns, and a Zebra Danio Fry that managed to not be caught when I took all of its brothers and sisters to my home in western KY to live in a 20 gallon long. Stupid Danio.

Anyway, here you can see what I was talking about when I said that the light is bright! As for a basic list of the plants I currently have in this tank, there is:
  • Hornwort (Ceratophyllum submersum)
  • Anacharis (Egeria Densa)
  • A couple Marimo balls
  • Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis)
  • And a Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
Fourth Picture-
Here's a much better picture of the Driftwood again, compared to my hand.

Fifth Picture-
Here is the worst picture of the lot, as I tried to hold it up to the 5 gal itself, in order to better show the size relation.

Sixth Picture-
Here is a much better picture of the Banana Plant and the Wisteria. You can see how the new growth is a lot lacier than the older leaves. Ignore the dirty glass and the DERPIEST BETTA FACE EVER.

Seventh Picture-
Next is a better above view of one of the pads from the Banana Plant (with a hidden bubble nest under the ENTIRE thing), as well as a leaf that randomly decided to twin itself. Also gives a better perspective of the space inside the tank.

Eighth Picture-
Another above view. This one shows a tiny plantlet trying to sprout from a leaf of the Wisteria, if you can spot it.

Ninth Picture-
Here is my... 3 gallon dump tank? Plants I don't want, fish I don't want, snails I don't want. Got some dwarf water lettuce in here, creeping jenny, some more tiny wisteria, anacharis, hornwort, a few VERY TINY java ferns (under 1 inch tall, so tiny, they would take ages and ages to grow up), aaaand some Danio fry that were too young to send home. They're still tiny, only about half an inch long. Also some more snails.

Tenth Picture-
Top view of the same tank. As a note, the light in the desk lamp is the same as the one in the 5 gal.

As for the updated plant list:
  1. Pygmy Chain Sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
  2. Glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides) AND/OR Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea Quadrifolia), but I'm thinking the Glosso might work better, with the PCS growing with/around it. Since I don't plan on adding CO2 to my tank kind of ever, but with the light still as bright as it is, it will grow slower but horizontal, but as the light gets less intense towards the sides due to how light works and an addition of Frogbit, will probably grow a bit taller and leggier and be something nice for the D. Dario and H. Jerdoni to root through and hide in.
    ---> Just read someone had serious issue with trying to grow it in sand, but I think they were trying to grow it in finer sand than I'm wanting.....
    ------> Might just toss this idea in favor of a nice layer of leaf litter along the bottom. The H. Jerdoni would appreciate this.
  3. Some kind of Moss to go around the base of the driftwood. I'm thinking maybe Java or Taiwan, especially since my tank is going to be cooler than my Betta tanks and so ought to grow well. I'm just not sure though :/
  4. Blyxa Japonica is an option for the back of the tank, I'm still looking for something that will make a nice forest back there :/
  5. Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis) is also an option for a background forest, so long as I make sure to keep the forest on the brighter side of the tank. I would thicken the growth by topping and replanting until I have something nice and bushy back there. Planning to add ferts anyway, which would keep it healthy, but again, the lack of CO2 would keep the growth manageable.
    ---> Limnophila Sessiliflora was a brief option for the forest. I think I've decided against it, as it would grow faster than I care to trim.
  6. Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) will be attached along the line of the driftwood, maybe make a sort of Java wall along the top. Might use some of the baby plants I have, but will definitely be wanting a few that are a bit larger.
  7. Anubias barteri var. Nana 'Petite'is definitely something I want to attach around and on the base of the driftwood. I think it would look really nice, and add some fleshy variety to my plants :]
  8. Anubias barteri var. Nana would go on the other, darker end of the tank, and assist with some of the shading I'm wanting in that corner.
  9. Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum), as mentioned above, is definitely on my shopping list.
I think this is all? Dunno, my brain stopped working at around 1AM.

In other news, the Great Substrate Debate has ended, and I've settled on AquaQuartz pool filter sand. I've also stumbled across a fertilizer that tickles my fancy, Pfertz aquarium products, and I'll be honest and say that I like it because it is pretty, is easy, and had lovely reviews. And it is pretty cheap right now.

Quote:
Just wear gloves for there may be some kritters in there that could give you a nasty sting.
Teehee, gloves. Good advice, it really is. *Remembers fondly rarely, if ever, wearing shoes in said creek*

Quote:
The best bet is to buy plants from fellow hobbyists here on TPT. Not to violate the law and face extreme penalties on the federal and state level.
Quote:
The community is definitely a great resource. I'd have to agree
Yup yup yup, and when I get the moolah, I'm gonna make a wonderful little WTB thread, and hopefully I'll get some offers :3

OFF TO BED NOW. Night sweetlings, let me know what you think :]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USE1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	55286  

Name:	USE2.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	55287  

Name:	USE6.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	55290  

Name:	USE8.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	55291  

Name:	USE7.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	55292  

Name:	USE3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	55293  

Name:	USE5.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	527.1 KB
ID:	55294  

Name:	USE4.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	55295  

Name:	USE9.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	55296  

Name:	USE10.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	55297  

Tags
5 gallon, dario, journal, plan, research

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.