38 gallon - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #16
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Got some Myriophyllum tuberculatum and a electric blue ram.

My flow slowed down and I tried everything to fix it, taking apart the whole system, searching the forum for all kinds of wild solutions, hooking up a power head for CO2... The hoses were just dirty.

thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #17
kiera
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That window film as a background is an absolutely brilliant idea, and I'm stealing it. Painting the stand was the right thing to do, imho. It looks nice and clean. Definitely a nice upgrade for your fishy pets.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #18
thesawguy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiera View Post
That window film as a background is an absolutely brilliant idea, and I'm stealing it. Painting the stand was the right thing to do, imho. It looks nice and clean. Definitely a nice upgrade for your fishy pets.
I stole the idea from somewhere on this forum myself. Thanks for the comment.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have a couple of comments. I just discovered this thread, so I am taking it all in at once. I agree with every decision you have made, from painting the stand to trimming the silicone (which made me nervous, but it worked!). Nice job on the inline CO2 gizmo.

The rocks look much smaller in the tank than I thought they would. It might be easier to create some drama with a few larger ones. My main suggestion on the scape is to get the "valley" off center a little bit. Also, if you truly want a more valley-like feel, consider using the rock to hold the substrate up a little higher in the back corner(s) and get some slope.

I love those rams; handsome fish. I hope you have a glass top since I believe the hatchets are jumpers.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
thesawguy
Planted Member

Hi Tom,
Your office tank is looking fantastic. Thanks for the input, I've been thinking about the rock placement a little and I think your suggestions are good, and I do have some bigger rocks that I didn't use because I wanted to leave more room for plants, so I might make some changes in that regard after my plants have settled in a little more. Seeing your tank and others makes me want to have some nice branchy driftwood too. Eventually I want to add some hairgrass so I'll probably modify the layout before then.

Those hatchets do jump and yes I do have a glass lid, when they were in the old tank I accidentally left the lid open and one jumped out but it was too late by the time I found it. I had another one jump that I spooked while changing water but I swooped him up in time.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Hetzer
Algae Grower

Nice drawings for the planning stage; final arrangement and stand turned out very nice sir
Hetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #22
thesawguy
Planted Member

Thanks Hetzer, welcome to the forum, or happy first post anyway.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #23
Hetzer
Algae Grower

Thanks Sawguy, I wasn't going to post here until I had a tank of my own (maybe by christmas ) but your drawings and build photos were too cool to not comment, couldn't resist lol...
Hetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
BeachBum2012
Planted Member

Looks good. I like the background and the rams look great.

Mr Aqua 17g
BeachBum2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
thesawguy
Planted Member

Had a CO2 disaster this week. Monday or tuesday the flow had stopped from the regulator, so I turned up the needle valve to where I was getting 1-2 bubbles a second again. Wednesday when I got home all the fish were floating or upside down and the CO2 was going like crazy, even humming. I cut it off and changed a lot of water and slowly most of the fish came back to life. I did lose three silver hatchets and four rummynose and the kyathit danio, an otto and one gold ram, one of the other gold rams is still not acting normal. I cut off the CO2 for a couple of days and added an airstone. I turned the co2 back on yesterday and today and have been monitoring it closely. It's working fine. I think there must have been some kind of blockage that worked its way through?

I changed the layout a little to help me and the fish put the great catastrophe behind us. I replaced the two biggest stones with bigger ones. I added Myrio mattogrossenses, Ludwigia repens super red, and Ludwigia ovalis. And since an LFS has rummynose for $2.06 I got ten more and bought three ottos and another amano shrimp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	55711
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
thesawguy
Planted Member

Planted 5 pots of DHG and some Nessea red.

(Male killi australe RIP)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
greenmulberry
Algae Grower

Nice! I sure do like hatchetfish.
greenmulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #28
thesawguy
Planted Member

Been battling algae, spot treating with excell for the time being and stopped dosing phosphates since they were testing high. Is one miligram per gallon what everyone else does?

Also added the power head to increase flow which I think is helping to keep the algae at bay. And also started supplementing iron which has improved the color of the lymnophilia aromomatica. I retanked the crypt spiralis and hygrophila augustifolia since they were getting crazy with algae growth.

The myrophilum terbuculatum is not doing so hot but a few stems are holding on. Nesea red mostly disintegrated but there are a couple of stems left that are struggling to come back. Also added ludwigia peruensis which shed a lot of leaves but the tops are growing.

During a water change two hatchets jumped behind the tank where I couldn't reach to rescue them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	58082
Old 12-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #29
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like the new rock arrangement sawguy. That hairgrass will eventually completely obscure all but the two big rocks, so if you want more planting space you will have it whenever you decide you want it. My 75 has 5 rocks in it and a quick glance only shows one; a dense hairgrass foreground really hides stuff.

You know this now, but never adjust your CO2 and walk away. I always check it again in an hour or two tops. I too learned this the hard way.

It's looking good!

Gotta ask: what kind of saw we talking about? Picture?
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 12-04-2012 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: ask question
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice setup! I made a very similar CO2 reactor, based on the same style. The only difference is that I didn't use fittings to make the reaction chamber larger like you did. I simply made mine using the same size PVC pipe from one end to the other. Thinking back, I probably should have expanded the reaction chamber like you did and also filled the reaction chamber with bio-balls to obstruct flow and increase the interaction time of H2O and CO2. Just like any other DIY project, hind sight is always 20-20 and a "better" way to do it will always come to mind just after you finish the project!

Anyhow, I'm liking your setup and I'm looking forward to seeing it grow and evolve over time!!
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote