Co2 distribution troubles
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 10-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
TankZen
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Question

Co2 distribution troubles

I'm having trouble growing a carpet foreground (even hairgrass wont grow) and think co2 is the issue.

Here's some info on my set up:

180G
I have a 500gph Eheim (pump only) running into a Cerges reactor and then splitting into two spray bar returns centered on the back middle of the tank. I also have the Eheim 2262 (900gph) filter and a HOB aquaclear110 (500gph) separate from co2 loop providing additional flow.

I am going to order a tee and put it before the pump so the co2 will enter into the pump and be chopped up some what before hitting the reactor. I'm thinking about moving my spray bars to the vertical position on each back corner of the tank and have them positioned to bounce off the glass and flow to the front of the tank. I have seen a few people do this.

Moving my outputs may help distribute co2 better. I also need to get my diffusion of co2 better into the water... I've seen some people put a sponge or bioballs at the bottom of the reactor but I am worried about maintenance since there is no filter running in that loop. I get some large co2 bubbles coming out of the spray bar and read this was because the pump is pushing the water though the reactor too fast....I just put the pump on a dimmer switch so I can adjust the flow. Rather then redoing the whole reactor with a larger one (some people are using 23" filter housing). I hope having the co2 enter before the pump, dialing down the pump a bit to increase the reactor efficiency and moving my spray bars will fix the problem. Do you think this is a good plan or have any other suggestions?

I've also considered Tom Barr pump modification for needle wheel chopping of the co2 in the pump but am reluctant to chop the fins on the Eheim pump since it was pretty expensive. Also think this would reduce the flow of the pump indefinitely.

Thanks for your input...it's greatly appreciated

TankZen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Do you have a drop checker?
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
TankZen
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Yes it's green turning up the co2 slowly to get it a little lighter green BBA tells me my co2 is too low...at least that is what I'm thinking.

TankZen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Try moving the drop check to where the plants aren't growing well.

It might be light levels as well. Carpets need at least 40-60 PAR levels. Your tank might be too tall and the lights can't reach far enough.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bubbles, cerges reactor, co2, distribution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.