Newbie in Azusa, CA =)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking

Newbie in Azusa, CA =)

Hi guys! I am planning on setting up my very first planted tank after a 10 year hiatus of keeping fish in general. I've never actually grown any plants on my tanks so this is going to be interesting! Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I will be starting with a couple small tanks, probably a ten and 5 gallon and if it all goes well set up my 30 gallon. I will probably be doing most of my purchases off CK Fish world (it's really close to my house) unless you guys have other suggestions of store. I worked for the fish department in both Petco and Petsmart during High School so I really don't want to buy stuff off them, don't like them too much lol.

Last edited by DannyDapper; 10-12-2012 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: oops
DannyDapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

good choice on starting with a smaller tank. learn all you can from your first tank and use it as a stepping stone to reach your 30 gallon. good luck and one more piece of advice, take your time and be patient

-tetra10
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
DannyDapper
Algae Grower

Thank you! yeah definitely taking my time. I've reading a lot and still haven't even hit the pet store to buy equipment lol. Trying to figure out what exactly I'm gonna need =)
DannyDapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Originally from Glendora

Let us know how things work out and what you went with..
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
xdestry
Algae Grower

I would actually suggest starting with a 30 gallons instead of the smaller ones. I would go to nature aquarium in santa monica if you want to get some nicer plants, however they are expensive.
xdestry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Instead of Nature Aquarium, I would go closer to A+ in Temple City. A+ has a large planted tank enthusiast community that hangs out there. You can nab all the plants you want and order the ones they don't have (same goes for fish typically found in planted tanks).

I would also join SCAPE (the local planted tank group) which is recognized by A+ (you get a discount for being a SCAPE member) and whose members frequent A+. http://scapeclub.org/

This also means that you can grab stuff from SCAPE members in the area for particulars in flora and fana that a single fish store isn't likely to keep.

I'd say TPT, SCAPE and that store together played the largest part in getting me set up in the hobby.

It allows you to get pretty much everything you need without driving all the way to Santa Monica. I did go out there for chili rasboras once and despite being a fantastic store, it's simply too far.
STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Marcrothschild

PTrader: (0/0%)

I live in Arcadia. I agree that A+ aquarium in Temple City is a great shop for freshwater. I think that pasadena tropical fish is better overall, but his focus is not really on plants, he has a bigger salt water and reef customer base. Pasadena Tropical has a really nice selection of 8 to 20 gallon cubes that are very well priced. He also has some nice electric blue rams, cardinals, and rasbora sp. available. The two stores are really not that far apart, so from azusa, just stop at A+ first, then go up Rosemead to Colorado and head west for like 2 miles and you will be @ Pasadena Tropical.
Marcrothschild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

My favorite place is CK Fish world, Peter the owner is da man! Join SCAPE and you can get great deals
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
Kitty_Kitsch
Planted Tank Obsessed

The place has really improved since I left CA! I'm headed there right now actually to see if they will take some cherries, they told me they would when I was there last.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #28
Cherries! Weeeee!

Assassin snails I think I love you
Kitty_Kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

welcome! and yes, join SCAPE!

i was just out at CK FishWorld today, well worth the drive from Long Beach. i picked up 21 Neon Green Tetra's for my 12g Long.

Last edited by beedee; 12-27-2012 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: typo
beedee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
azusa, ckfishworld, newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.