Hayden's ADA 45-f: The End - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #61
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Gobies tend to require highly oxygenated water and aren't exactly going to be suited to a setup like this. They like to dig and need lots of smooth, flat surfaces to chill out on and to eat yummy aufwuchs from.

If you go the Pygmy Cory route, remember that they do better and feel better in larger numbers. I wouldn't get fewer than six and ideally, no fewer than a dozen (but maybe not in this tank).

Boraras brigittae could work but know that they could be potential jumpers - especially in a shallow tank. But their size is absolutely perfect for your scape and will look amazing.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #62
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
what about some species of freshwater goby or maybe some gudgeons. probably only 6 or 7 boraras brigittae
While those are really cool fish, they wouldn't quite fit the aesthetic I'm trying to achieve. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Quote:
what brand and how soft are those clear hose you bought when comparing to the OEM EHEIM hose that came with the filter. I am having problem sliding the hose on to the lily pipes . . so i am looking for another hose thats slightly bigger.
They are ADA hoses- 10mm and 13mm. I haven't attached either type of hose to my lily pipes yet (I'm waiting to flood), so I don't have any hard data for you, but the ADA hoses are specifically designed to fit onto the lily pipes, and they do also feel a bit more pliable than the Eheim's. Oh, also, they look one heck of a lot better.

Quote:
Gobies tend to require highly oxygenated water and aren't exactly going to be suited to a setup like this. They like to dig and need lots of smooth, flat surfaces to chill out on and to eat yummy aufwuchs from.

If you go the Pygmy Cory route, remember that they do better and feel better in larger numbers. I wouldn't get fewer than six and ideally, no fewer than a dozen (but maybe not in this tank).

Boraras brigittae could work but know that they could be potential jumpers - especially in a shallow tank. But their size is absolutely perfect for your scape and will look amazing.
I was tinkering with the idea of Pygmy Cory's because I was thinking they would add a more natural and "complete" feel to the tank. I'm trying hard not to fall directly into the Iwagumi category- I'm looking to create a different feel than that. So they would be more of a subtle accent, anything over 5 seems to me like overkill. I'll think about it and do some research, it's not like I'm in a hurry.
I have had B. Brigittae in this tank before, and they were great. In my experience, fish jump when they're unhappy with the environment. I just love those little guys!
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #63
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

The Boraras brigittae jumping issue hasn't so much been purposeful in my experience. They're hardy fish, so parameters have never been a big deal to them. I find that they're such active fish and love to dart around and hunt that they occasionally pop out of the water without realizing it.

Pygmy Cories could really be great for the tank. They're the perfect size. It's just important to keep social behaviors in mind when considering the health and happiness of the livestock we keep. They're also really tiny, so you can definitely handle the minimum number most people like msjinkzd and others highly experienced with them recommend.

Pygmies are such a cool fish that I would consider having them as the main attraction. They're awesome.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #64
Hayden
Planted Member

I see your points. I'm sure you have much more experience than I do, thanks for all the help!
More and more I'm gravitating towards the idea of including Pygmy Cory's. Maybe 7 of them, along with 9 or 11 of B. Brigittae, and my two Otos. Sounds good to me
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #65
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
I see your points. I'm sure you have much more experience than I do, thanks for all the help!
More and more I'm gravitating towards the idea of including Pygmy Cory's. Maybe 7 of them, along with 9 or 11 of B. Brigittae, and my two Otos. Sounds good to me
I think you'll be good with that many brigittae. I would not do less. Even though we know how small they are, it is still surprising when you watch as they nearly disappear in a small tank. I have 14 in my 6.6 gallon, and it looks empty. I've never seen mine attempt to jump, but I have a cover just in case.

If you don't have a local source, I highly recommend Rachel (msjinkzd).
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #66
SaltyNC
Planted Member

Hayden,

There are ten Boraras brigittae visible in this shot of my tank that has similar dimensions to yours. It's a bit like find Waldo, but they are there. This should give you an idea of how your thought of 9-11 should look in your tank.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...gust25-FTS.jpg
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #67
SaltyNC
Planted Member

This might help, too. Sorry about the music. Wait for the quarter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-OwSWMA9_w
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #68
Hayden
Planted Member

Thanks for the advice . Your right, in that shot you barely notice them! It might have something to do with the black background, because I seem to remember mine being more distinct than that. (nice tank btw!)
Still a bigger group does sound more appealing, maybe I should go up to 15. Another plus would be they would stand out as dominant above the Cory's.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #69
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You're on the right track and this tank is going to be amazing on the livestock front.

I think 15 is a good number and wouldn't go with less than a dozen Boraras brigittae. Even in that small tank, as others have supported.

Can't wait to see it all! Your scape really lends itself to those fish.

Something else about the Cories... be sure to leave some open substrate for them to root around and have fun.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #70
Hayden
Planted Member

That was one thing I was wondering about. I don't think I will have any exposed substrate once my plants fill in, will this be a problem? Maybe I can try to leave a little open in the back but I don't know.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #71
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

It could be a problem in the sense that they love to root around/could potentially uproot more delicate plants.

People keep them in all kinds of tanks, though, and I've seen them do well in tanks with HC and UG.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #72
Hayden
Planted Member

Ok , well I definitely want to try them. I just love Cory's!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #73
Tcal01
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post

true. make this into a river tank :P
Tcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #74
Hayden
Planted Member

No thanks.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #75
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)