Light ideas for this plant?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
charms
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Light ideas for this plant?!

Ok I have an aquaclear 70 hob w/ what I believe is a philodendron in it. The plant was doing great in another location but is now wilting. I believe it is not receiving enough light. Our bedroom has the windows darkened so the only light is the tank light, which obviously faces down and the ceiling fan light that is only on sporadically for short periods of time. The tank light is brought enough that we rarely use the ceiling light anymore... So any ideas to get this plant some light? Its attached to a 40 breeder w/ 2 fancy goldfish.

Its been in there for about 10days and the bigger leaves are already yellowing.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
charms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Your Plant

Hello charms...

Philodendron isn't the best choice if you want to emerse land plants in your aquarium. Pothos, a variety of Philodendron works much better and even better is Alglaonema (Chinese Evergreen). Anyway, check the plant you have to make sure all the potting mixture is removed. You need to aerate the root ball. I use an air pump and run a line of tubing under the water and directly under the plant roots. This will provide the roots with plenty of oxygen and move the water with the dissolved nutrients through the roots. Clip off the yellowing leaves, if the plant isn't too far gone, this will stimulate new growth.

Philodendren does best with a light source in addition to ambient (room) light. This time of year the light in the room is dimmer. So, get an inexpensive pole lamp and put in one of the higher watt eco bulbs and keep the lamp on at least 12 hours per day. I have mine on timers.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

Your plant is not a philodendron but rather a Dieffenbachia, and although quite capable of growing indefinitely in water, it is generally not recommended for use in the aquarium because it is extremely poisonous. If a person were to get even a miniscule portion of the sap in their mouth, it causes an incredibly painful swelling and paralysis of the tongue and vocal cords, leaving the consumer mute. If a cat or dog were to nibble on a leaf, they would likely die. My cousin lost her kitten to a dieffenbachia - she woke up to find the plant chewed up and the kitten dead on the floor underneath it. I imagine the plant is also toxic to fish but I am not certain.

If you do intend to keep the plant, it is nevertheless in far too low lighting. I would (ideally) hang a small florescent shop light over the tank, or (probably adequate) position a pole lamp with a CFL light bulb in it directed upon the plant.

Was this plant removed from soil and placed in water? If this is the case then it is shedding leaves because it's soil roots are drowning and rotting and it still is in the process of producing its first waterborne roots, which will be able to support the plant in its new medium. The plant, given proper lighting, should begin to regrow in a few weeks, should you choose to keep it.

But I would definitely recommend a new plant - pothos grows in near darkness and with more light chinese evergreen, spider plant, mondo grass, philodendron, and dracaena would do well.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
charms
Planted Member

Ok... whoa. First order of business in the morning? Getting that plant outta my tank!! Second - does anyone know where I can get a pothos plant?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

While diffenbachia does contain toxins (many plants do) the severity of its toxicity are greatly exaggerated. Yes, it's a bad idea to eat it or get your hands covered in sap and then go rubbing your eyes. I'd say the same thing about jalapenos, raw horseradish, onions, raw eggs or meat products, bathroom cleaners, broken light bulbs, many common aquarium fertilizers, dead fish...etc.

If you've got small pets with a habit of chewing on plants or very young kids, keep the plant out of reach--which, ideally, you'd do with *any* plant not specifically intended to be ingested. If you're pruning, clipping or otherwise handling the plant such that stems are broken--wash your hands.

Otherwise, you're free to enjoy a really great plant for the house, garden or riparium.

However, you do need more light for it in this set up. Ditto pothos, philodendren, ivys spider plant and pretty much any other plant. You can put full spectrum bulbs in your ceiling unit and make a point to keep it on more, suspend a light over the tank for the plants, increase the PAR of the tank light and suspend it high enough that it casts light on the houseplant(s) you add to the tank, set up an auxillary reading lamp or other light source that is left on specifically for this purpose--or change the curtain setup to allow more light in during the day.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
charms
Planted Member

Thank you for the info. I am gonna google this plant before doing anything but your reply makes me feel a lot better... Thankfully my tank is set up where no one (animal wise) can get to the back of it, and my kitty has never been a jumper so I'm safe on that front while I decide what to do. Although it is already wilting.. I'm thinking a desk lamp w/ a 13w cfl bulb is in order tomorrow... Thanks again.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

Pothos is very readily available at virtually every store that sells plants - including the big chain stores and oftentimes even grocery stores. A plant large enough to take cuttings from will set you back about $6.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
charms
Planted Member

Ok I got a pothos plant from a local nursery today!! $5 for a pretty big plant too! I threw the other one out, not worth it to take the chance... I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of the dogs!! So I'll get it soil free and in the filter later today!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1350592803577.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	55565  

Old 10-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Charms:
I think that plant in your OP is a dieffenbachia. I've kept mine in a HOB nicely w/o problems. I've had a 6CFL fixture on all emersed growth.

Yellow leaves could also be a number of combining factors, such as low Mg, water temp, alkanity, etc. One or two yelllow leaves/stems is also normal for dieffenbachias, just pull them off

So believe me, you can still keep its roots submerged in your tank.

My 15 gal has anthurium, spider, iresine, jasminium, spath, lucky bamboo, and the diffenbachia in the angle of this picture unfortunately has only one leaf visible, but trust me there are 4-5 other large ones there with the white patches on them. The white patch Ive reads shows up when there's sufficient light and it's due to a "virus" activated in plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dieffenbachia2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	55571  

AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #10
Indian fern
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello charms...

Philodendron isn't the best choice if you want to emerse land plants in your aquarium. Pothos, a variety of Philodendron works much better and even better is Alglaonema (Chinese Evergreen). Anyway, check the plant you have to make sure all the potting mixture is removed. You need to aerate the root ball. I use an air pump and run a line of tubing under the water and directly under the plant roots. This will provide the roots with plenty of oxygen and move the water with the dissolved nutrients through the roots. Clip off the yellowing leaves, if the plant isn't too far gone, this will stimulate new growth.

Philodendren does best with a light source in addition to ambient (room) light. This time of year the light in the room is dimmer. So, get an inexpensive pole lamp and put in one of the higher watt eco bulbs and keep the lamp on at least 12 hours per day. I have mine on timers.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
I agree agalanomeas or chinese evergreens are best plants. Does best In hydroculture. :3
Indian fern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM   #11
Indian fern
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Charms:
I think that plant in your OP is a dieffenbachia. I've kept mine in a HOB nicely w/o problems. I've had a 6CFL fixture on all emersed growth.

Yellow leaves could also be a number of combining factors, such as low Mg, water temp, alkanity, etc. One or two yelllow leaves/stems is also normal for dieffenbachias, just pull them off

So believe me, you can still keep its roots submerged in your tank.

My 15 gal has anthurium, spider, iresine, jasminium, spath, lucky bamboo, and the diffenbachia in the angle of this picture unfortunately has only one leaf visible, but trust me there are 4-5 other large ones there with the white patches on them. The white patch Ive reads shows up when there's sufficient light and it's due to a "virus" activated in plant.
The white scars are actually variegations. :3
Indian fern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

The plant you purchased looks like a "marble queen" pothos, which is a different (but related) species from regular pothos. I have both in my tank and find that that cultivar grows larger leaves but also grows them more slowly and takes longer to root than golden pothos. Still, it is prettier once established I think. It will definitely need good lighting, more than regular pothos would get by with.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
charms
Planted Member

Dang it!! Its like I just can't get this right!! AARRGGGGG!!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

What am I missing? The plant is right in front of a window, which is kept heavily curtained. During the daytime is there any reason not to open that curtain?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #15
charms
Planted Member

The window is actually tin foiled for maximum darkness... redneck, I know. Lol
But I did get a 14w cfl bulb and a desk lamp.. I'll try and post a pic tomorrow of the set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.