Help! Plants dying!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Mrcozy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help! Plants dying!!!

Recently set up a 55 gallon, planted, community tank. I was given a few java ferns, some java moss, and bought two amazon swords and something I forget the name of. I let it cycle for days with just live gravel and sand before adding plants and two weeks before adding fish. I currently have 10 Guppies, 3 Sunburst Platies, 2 Dalmatian Mollies, and some sort of serpentine Loach that came with the plants I was given. My swords are starting to turn yellow and some leaves have see-through patches starting. I am using the bulb that came with the tank. I know I've read about Watts per Gallon but does it matter what kind of florescent bulb I get?
Mrcozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

It does matter.

Most kits do not have the right light to grow plants.

Can you tell us more about the light you have?
T-8? T-12?
All other info?

Have a look though the lighting forum for a lot more info, but here are the bare-bones basics:

For T-8 and T-12, wpg is not too far off. A 55 is pretty tall, I would aim for at least 2 wpg just for a low light tank. The light needs to be the right color for the plants. They use certain wavelengths more than others. A bulb that is rich in those wavelengths will grow the plants better, though it might make some colors in the tank (like orange fish) look funny.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

You definitely have to upgrade the lighting. I assume that you have no CO2, so a dual t8 or t5 NO fixture along with root tabs for those swords should do the trick.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

You have a lot of reading to do, you most likely don't have enough light or nutrients in the substrate for the swords, plus if your new to the whole planted tank thing you might not know the Java ferns don't get planted. If you want help you need to give up all the specs on your tank and the folks ghere will gladly help you get growing.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!!
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Mrcozy

Ok

Going to get lights tonight t8 or t5. What do you mean no fixture? Also getting root tabs. Not using CO2 but looking into it, think I might try the bottle of sugar and yeast until I can do better. Yep Java ferns are firmly placed several inchs into the gravel several inches of ecogrow or some name like that covered with a half inch of black gravel. What specs are needed? Tank is 22"H, 18"W, 48"L, I have a tetra 40-75 gallon filter its an old tank probably 15 years but I had it leak tested, the light is the same age. No idea what model It came with the tank. My folks had it for a few years and didn't treat it well. What I'm trying to do now is figure out what I can do for $100 shopping trip, a shopping list would be AWESOME!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #6
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

T5NO fixture as opposed to T5HO fixture...have ferns should be anchored to driftwood or rock NOT planted
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
Mrcozy

Right on shall unplant them and anchor.

Tags
amazon sword, dying plants, new tank setup, swordamazon swords