How much Light before co2 is needed ? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Shrimp need above 4 GH minimum, most people keep it above 6. Otherwise they can't molt right.
Mine never had any trouble.

A good article for the OP:
http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-ab...and-light.aspx

As you can see, even at the lowest levels of light, the plants grew 3-4x faster, in all cases in fact, with no added energy requirement.
In fact, you can use LESS light if you use CO2. This is because the plant can allocate all it's limited resources to catching light..and not having to chose between light AND getting what little CO2 is there.

As light intensity increases, the curve of CO2 uptake is non linear, it levels off at about 200-600 umol for most species.
Some plants are very competitive for cO2 and can grow with very little light and CO2.

Some are much harder to grow unless you add CO2, eg, UG is a foreground plant that will not grow without CO2 gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Mine never had any trouble.

A good article for the OP:
http://www.tropica.com/en/tropica-ab...and-light.aspx

As you can see, even at the lowest levels of light, the plants grew 3-4x faster, in all cases in fact, with no added energy requirement.
In fact, you can use LESS light if you use CO2. This is because the plant can allocate all it's limited resources to catching light..and not having to chose between light AND getting what little CO2 is there.

As light intensity increases, the curve of CO2 uptake is non linear, it levels off at about 200-600 umol for most species.
Some plants are very competitive for cO2 and can grow with very little light and CO2.

Some are much harder to grow unless you add CO2, eg, UG is a foreground plant that will not grow without CO2 gas.
Really? How low was your GH?
I've been advice to keep it above 4 at all times.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
Gabez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great article , makes me want co2 even more , can someone take a look at my plant list and let me know if co2 is absoluty necessary or can I get away with medium light and no co2 . The slower the plants grow the better but I want them to be healthy I'm looking for as little pruning as I can get away with
Gabez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez View Post
Great article , makes me want co2 even more , can someone take a look at my plant list and let me know if co2 is absoluty necessary or can I get away with medium light and no co2 . The slower the plants grow the better but I want them to be healthy I'm looking for as little pruning as I can get away with
HC has a rough time without CO2. Some folks say they can grow it with Excel, while others say Excel didn't cut it for them. Minimally, HC needs a carbon source. Ideally, pressurized CO2. Most of your other plants seem fine, but I only have experience with a few of them.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Gabez
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot I may give it try without
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

You could have some fun with a DIY CO2 setup to see if you like it. I've experienced some plants do fine without CO2. In my experience swords crypts and moss do well without it. They would grow faster with it, but that can also kill shrimp. Get a drop checker if you are going to do CO2. Anyways I'd keep the photo period to no more than 8 hours a day if you have high light no CO2.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #22
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

You should think about a paintball co2.
It's cheap, and easy to get refills.
Having co2 is just sooo much nicer.

Or change your lights for low light but I don't know much about how you could make sure of doing that right.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Gabez
Algae Grower

Unfortunately the only co2 I could aquire is from the beer companies (usually used for kegs) , paintball is illegal here , will a small DIY in a 2litre soda bottle help any or is my 65g tank just to big.
The other question is about surface agitation , if I do not add co2 should I use an stone or not ? Ive heard various conflicting opinions , what do you guys think ? I plan on heavily stocking with fish and shrimp as well , should I use the bubbler with no fish and and vice versa ?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

Again, a big suggestion:

You need to make sure that you go low light. That is your priority now I think.

Once you are sure to have low light you can use an airstone or other method of surface agitation.

The bubbles from the airstone are not "injecting" air in the tank. They agitate he surface and create current which is good if you are not trying to keep a high level of co2 in the water.

Colder tanks, under 75F hold dissolved gasses better. Choose your livestock for your tank parameters instead of trying to force the tank parameters to the livestock needs... It's easier.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #25
Gabez
Algae Grower

Good advice pjerrey , thats what i'm trying , I have soft water so i'm looking into soft water species ,I hate too much algae, I think I may have to bite the bullet and go full on high tech , thanks to you guys it doesnt sound so complicated anymore . If I do go with co2 are those plants gonna explode to the point I have to prune more than once week ? and can you tell me a little about ph swings when the lights and co2 turn off please
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #26
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

An airstone is only going to aid you if you have poor circulation and for stripping of CO2 from the water. If your running CO2, it wouldn't hurt to run an airstone at night to prevent CO2 from building up. No matter what the tech level, heavy fish load is going to produce algae. Shrimp on the otherhand maybe not. Yeast reactor CO2 can work. You can't use like a ceramic disc diffuser as it's not high enough pressure, but you would have to find an effective way of injecting it into the water (there are some commercially available products out there). ON a tank that size, you would need probably 4-6 2 liter bottles, you can have them all plumbed into one line. The more bottles the better, as each bottle will probably last you around 3 weeks before it should be restarted. IF you stagger the bottle resets, you can get pretty stable Co2 production from this method. Or if you can't get that going, dosing excel could work too-or get plants that don't demand CO2, set a conservative photoperiod, and keep the fish stocking really light.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
co2 new tank, lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.