One month after planting. BBA becoming a problem
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
roland6543
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

One month after planting. BBA becoming a problem

I've got BBA growing all over my Java Fern. Also on my Java Moss and Crypts. To a lesser extent on some other plants.

Green spot algae on some plastic pipes and glass but not too much yet.

I began phasing in DIY CO2 and dosing EI about 2-3 weeks ago as things became available.

I have read that my CO2 may be too low or fluctuating. My tank journal is here for more detail. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192538

What should I do or change?
roland6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Well, start trimming. Remove all of the BBa. Then spot treat with excel to stuff you can't move like rocks etc.. Bleach dip or h2o2 dip stuff you can remove like filter intake.

Clean out your filter. And finally lower your light intensity.

You might have to keep up with the excel treatments until it is all gone.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
roland6543
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Well, start trimming. Remove all of the BBa. Then spot treat with excel to stuff you can't move like rocks etc.. Bleach dip or h2o2 dip stuff you can remove like filter intake.

Clean out your filter. And finally lower your light intensity.

You might have to keep up with the excel treatments until it is all gone.
How would I remove all the BBA by trimming? It seems to be infested throughout the java fern and some of the moss. Di you mean trim the worst and treat the rest?

I can trim the crypts, but for some that may mean all their leaves gone. Will they grow again.

I think the recent doubling of my DIY CO2 may have increased levels considerably. Should I wait and see before reducing light, or reduce light right away?

What do you think caused the problem? To much light before I started EI? Now that I'm on EI will the problem gradually diminish with excel?

I will trim, but should I also double dose excel until the problem has gone?

How will double dosing excel affect my other fish plants. I have some sensitive fish: Bolivian ram, Apistos, Otos, and clown loaches.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

trim what you can and spot treat excel what you can't.
I wouldn't bother double dosing excel. It's a waste I think. I just spot treat the recommended amount every week.

BBA is trigger by low CO2 and water movement. Of course light is a factor. Reduce it immediately.
Your DIY CO2 isn't going to do much in a 75G tank so I wouldn't bother but it couldn't hurt.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

You have 75g with over 100w of light, and 10 hours photo period. Perfect condition for growing algae. Don't bother with DIY yeast CO2. The tank is too big. You would need 3 to 4 2l bottles of yeast CO2 to, maybe, provide enough CO2 level in the tank. The cost of the yeast won't kill you but the amount of sugar you need to buy would.

Right now, you can double or triple dose Excel. This should kill your BBA within 3 days. However, your plants may or may not melt from the Excel. I think your fish should be OK. Reduce you light period down to 8 or less hours. Go 2 bulbs instead of 4. For your CO2 substitute, try dosing excel daily instead. This arrangement would not promote your plants to grow fast.

The only way to promote your plants to grow fast with a lot of light is to using EI dosing and pressurized CO2.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
roland6543
Algae Grower

Please keep in mind (FYI only since I REALLY value your experience) I am dosing EI (on the low end) and I think you may be surprised at the amount of CO2 being generated. I'm getting about 3-4 bps with almost 100% dissolving into a very fine mist through the canister filter. This is coming from 4 x 2L bottles, one being replaced each week.

I have noticed a couple of fish hanging around the surface, so I've turned on air bubblers overnight. So I expect I may have more CO2 than the average DIY.
I'm waiting for a drop checker to confirm.

Until then, I continue to dose Excel.

I was thinking that the BBA may be present because I implemented things in the wrong order. Is it possible?
Lights
Added plants
More lights
More plants
Excel and Flourish
CO2
NPK and CSM+B

I will turn down the lights to 68W on your recommendation. Also continue excel until at least a drop checker tells me where I stand with co2. I'll also trim weekly and spot treat excel.

Anything else I should do right now?

I know I should have planned the implementation better, but I'm hoping that since, at this moment, I may have a better balance that I can now deal with the algae by focussed actions????
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (231/100%)

You can treat BBA on the spot when you do wc weekly. Do this when plants are submersed or low in water. Leave for few minutes before topping up water.

A good reading.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=183240&page=5
herns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

How fast does it spread? I just got a plant from a member of this forum and the plant had it on the leaves. I'm going to trim them after work. I didn't really notice until it was already in the tank.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
RukoTheWonderDog
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
How fast does it spread? I just got a plant from a member of this forum and the plant had it on the leaves. I'm going to trim them after work. I didn't really notice until it was already in the tank.
As long as your parameters are in check, it shouldn't spread and infect the tank. Your tank probably already has BBA in it....it generally only comes to life when something is off with your lighting, CO2, dosing....etc.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
RukoTheWonderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RukoTheWonderDog View Post
As long as your parameters are in check, it shouldn't spread and infect the tank. Your tank probably already has BBA in it....it generally only comes to life when something is off with your lighting, CO2, dosing....etc.
The tank hasnt been up for very long. The plant only been in the tank for less than 7 hours. I noticed it as soon as I put it in but think too much about it.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote