killing fish in the freezer? - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #76
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If a fish is sick I quarantine it in a small tank with an air stone, treat it if possible and hope it recovers or let it die quietly in peace.

I don't see how that is cruel.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #77
HighDesert
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
If a fish is sick I quarantine it in a small tank with an air stone, treat it if possible and hope it recovers or let it die quietly in peace.

I don't see how that is cruel.
I do the same thing with ill animals. Unless something is so horribly injured that there is no way it will ever recover and is going to be in agonizing pain for an extended period of time. Like that baby turtle I mentioned in a previous post. I have Buddhist leanings and tend to believe that if something isn't suffering badly, then letting it live out its natural lifespan and finish its life cycle is the way to go. I don't think it's cruel. It's just the pain factor that I can't deal with -- I've been around waaaay too many mortally wounded creatures that are suffering and in such severe pain to be able to just walk away and let them continue hurting for any period of time.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #78
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Boar spear?
Behind dogs with Knife. In Europe spears were used by Nobility. I'm a humble commoner.

Last edited by DogFish; 10-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: sp.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #79
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

As to the use of a gun comment, I am not sure i could hit a fish, at least not any I own (maybe my bigger pleco, but definitely not a threadfin or khuli loach). And I am fairly decent with a gun. Besides digging the bullet out of wherever it winds up and explaining to the police why I fired a gun in my apartment are more than I'd want to go through for a fish. In the lab we overdosed them on MS222. It works good as long as you buffer the pH. Quick and painless (since it blocks neural conduction). Problems with home use: short storage life when mixed, and requires special disposal considerations.
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
CatSoup
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Sometimes when you love something, you have to just hit it with a hammer.
Not as classic as the Dead Milkmen's "If you love somebody, why not set them on fire?" line, but hey, I like it.
CatSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #81
CatSoup
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
That's a really bad question to ask me. I breed and train aggressive hunting dogs for a living and I have to hit them all the time. Sometimes they just refuse to listen, and choose to fight for pack dominance. Sometimes I wish I could toss a couple of them in the freezer. >__>

You gotta be inhumane, you gotta lay the smack down, whistle their ears off, wet them, or you shock them with collars. Whichever tells your dog that you're the dominant one.

I deal with this "humane" bullshizzzz all the time, especially when someone who is uneducated and uninformed about the dog training field tells me that the way I treat my pack is inhumane. No fuqqing shizzznazz, they're not humans, they don't understand as we do. You can't reason with an animal, hell, you can barely even tell them what to do at times.

Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for the inhumane treatment of animals. I do love my animals, but not to the point where I care about the way they feel as they die. There's a point where they become "just fish." If given the choice, of course any sensible person would choose to end their pet's life painlessly, I am no different, but that doesn't mean that every single animal alive warrants the same treatment. Who is to say that it is wrong to kill your fish with a hammer? Or to freeze it?

Whether clove oil, hammertime, or just tossing it in the freezer. It's just another animal that you are putting down. It's all about morality and perspective, to each their own.
I don't even disagree with this 100%, but...*gag* I think you are trying to rile people up by putting it this way. But who knows? Maybe that is your personality.
Anyway, I'm all for the pack leader method. I think they're smarter than you are giving them credit for in the statement above, but this is the method they rule themselves by. I hate being a disciplinarian, hell, that's why my kids run me ragged, but I know it's needed for a stable environment.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #82
CatSoup
Planted Member

Back to topic, sorry...
I will be looking into getting some clove oil when it's needed.