Seachem Flourite vs Carib Sea's Eco-complete?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
reefboi16
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Seachem Flourite vs Carib Sea's Eco-complete?

Which of the two looks better?
Which has the best nutrients?
How is the water clarity with each?
Any problems with shrimp?

I am currently planning to set up a forty breeder planted/ shrimp tank to upgrade from my tens. I want to do things and do them right. I also want to incorporate a nice looking "sand trail" in the aquascape. My question is how do you guys keep the sand from blowing around. Also is there any plastic that is safe in the aquarium that would good to shape the trail out and to keep the substrates from mixing together?
I might have more questions as I go through this build. Any input is appreciated thanks to all in advanced.

By the way this is my first post on this forum. Started a small ten gallon planted shrimp tank about six months ago and I am hooked. I do own another aquarium its a forty breeder mixed reef. That tank has been up and running for four years now. I am not new with aquarium keeping at all but I do have a lot to learn.

-daniel-
reefboi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Welcome to the forum!

If you do a forum search this topic is pretty common

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Phish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefboi16 View Post
Which of the two looks better?
Which has the best nutrients?
How is the water clarity with each?
Any problems with shrimp?

I am currently planning to set up a forty breeder planted/ shrimp tank to upgrade from my tens. I want to do things and do them right. I also want to incorporate a nice looking "sand trail" in the aquascape. My question is how do you guys keep the sand from blowing around. Also is there any plastic that is safe in the aquarium that would good to shape the trail out and to keep the substrates from mixing together?
I might have more questions as I go through this build. Any input is appreciated thanks to all in advanced.

By the way this is my first post on this forum. Started a small ten gallon planted shrimp tank about six months ago and I am hooked. I do own another aquarium its a forty breeder mixed reef. That tank has been up and running for four years now. I am not new with aquarium keeping at all but I do have a lot to learn.

-daniel-

Which of the two looks better? (personal judgement)

Which has the best nutrients? ( out of the bag.. flourite I believe, but it is easy to supplement the eco with root tabs and of course dosing nutrients)

How is the water clarity with each? (both will be clear after some time and/or purigen)

Any problems with shrimp? (nope, flourite, eco-complete and aquasoil are the 3 most commonly used planted aquarium substrates for shrimp or fish. I will say I regret getting the red/brown flourite for my RCS tank. I would much rather have the eco because the colors show up better agaisnt the black. Tho there is black flourite)
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Qwedfg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I prefer ecocomplete. I feel it looks better and it has no dust so its more convenient. Also coming from a reefing background I have used carib sea products before and really like them soo it was a pretty easy choice.
Qwedfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have used them in my 55 before and currently have both. I am middle of the road, neither like or dislike. If you ask most shrimpers it depends on what you are going to be keeping. For Cardinas like CRS, and Tigers They recomend Aquasoil because it buffers the PH down, for Neos Like Cherries, the Eco is fine as is. Just be aware in the begining you will see your PH increase a bit for a few months till the tank settles in.

Curt

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
reefboi16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwedfg View Post
I prefer ecocomplete. I feel it looks better and it has no dust so its more convenient. Also coming from a reefing background I have used carib sea products before and really like them soo it was a pretty easy choice.
This is the exact reason why I was leaning to the carib sea because its all I have used in my reef tanks. Just want to do things right from the start. probably will now be putting any livestock in until i have my aquascape the way I want it with the plants I would like. Any ideas on the plastic to shape up a trail?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
reefboi16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt_914 View Post
I have used them in my 55 before and currently have both. I am middle of the road, neither like or dislike. If you ask most shrimpers it depends on what you are going to be keeping. For Cardinas like CRS, and Tigers They recomend Aquasoil because it buffers the PH down, for Neos Like Cherries, the Eco is fine as is. Just be aware in the begining you will see your PH increase a bit for a few months till the tank settles in.

Curt
This is what i have been reading. And i do want to keep the Neos and Cardinas so i want to find one that will equally balance for both.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Go With eco and wait for a few months. I had CRS in my tank and they seemed to do ok till I added my discus to the mix. then they dissapered! any way I started with 2 culls and after a couple months there were about 20 in the tank. So as long as the eco stops buffering up you will be ok. Also if you put a lot of driftwood and run co2 I will help bring down you ph as well.

Curt

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
reefboi16
Algae Grower

Ok so in the case that i go the Seachem way what would look better? The black flourite, the red, or a mix of both?