African clawed frogs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
Dakota7777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

African clawed frogs?

Does anyone else keep these guys? I have three and I absolutely love them! They are so fun to watch and are the center of the conversation when new people come to the house.
Dakota7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Ljk09
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have an albino one I do love them too
Ljk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I have one I just got from my lfs as a gift for my patronage.
(Ha! Nobody wanted this last guy and they wanted to stock the tank he was occupying with bigger fish)

He's very odd, and only moves to reposition himself or get a breath of air. Sometimes I catch him climbing out of the water to rest on the floating driftwood but other than that he really doesn't do much.

Pretty dumb when it comes to feeding too, bloodworms floating right in front of his face and he doesn't eat them. He'd rather sift through the moss to find leftover fish flakes and bits of bloodworms from fish feedings, it's whatevers.
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
Ljk09
Algae Grower

They're pretty much blind. They find food by smell.
Ljk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #5
Dakota7777
Algae Grower

I love my albino! I call her Frodo (originally thought it was a male). She is awesome! I love hand feeding her. They are pretty much if not completely blind, so give yours some time to find the food. I got my female when she was about the size of a guitar pick and now she is almost the size of my hand. I have two regular ACFs, but they are smaller and not as active. Still very fun, but Frodo is my girl!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've got 3 with plans to get more. I love the little guys/girls, so funny to watch eat or just about anything.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Hello,
I am sorry for hijacking this… my wife and I want one of these sooooooooo bad but would have to put it in my 90gal. Is that too tall? Also would they eat all my fish?

Lots of tetras
2 large angles
Barbs
Platys
1-8” clown loach
6-4” to 5” clown loaches
I also have a bristlenose pleco and a very large 8” catfish.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm not sure about the height, I've had them in 16 and 18"s and there's no problem. They say it stresses them out, so you may want to consider it.

As for your fish, YES, they will all die or get attacked eventually. Also, you NEVER want to put a catfish of any kind with an ACF, they will eat them and get the barbs in their mouth, stomach, or any other lace you can think of to kill them.. bad idea!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgyello04 View Post
Hello,
I am sorry for hijacking this… my wife and I want one of these sooooooooo bad but would have to put it in my 90gal. Is that too tall? Also would they eat all my fish?

Lots of tetras
2 large angles
Barbs
Platys
1-8” clown loach
6-4” to 5” clown loaches
I also have a bristlenose pleco and a very large 8” catfish.
I love ACF, I keep 3 in a 40B and they're awesome. I would like to add more but I can't seem to find any big enough in pet stores to not get eaten as mine in the last 6 months have gotten to about 3.5 inches or so.

I will tell you now, if they can catch it, they will eat it. Mine ate mollies that were the same size as they were, they find a way. Your tetras would be in danger, the platys would also not be safe.. and these guys will take on things larger than they are... they will latch on and then use their hind legs and rake with their claws.. I've seen them do it with pieces of cooked shrimp and it was oddly effective, their hind claws would rip flesh from the shrimp cutting it into more manage chunks!

My girlfriend told me once while I was at work that she saw an ACF latch in to the tail of a large female black mollie and took it down.. they're NOT fish friendly! I've noticed that the most predatory ACF are the 'wild types' which are the darker green/brown ones (I have one and she's a monster).

They love to eat and they're always hungry! I highly recommend them as pets because they are way cool but they need their own tank. Their predatory instincts come out eventually, anything that fits in their mouth is food -- even other frogs.. I used to feed my frogs live bearers but I am a bit paranoid about the fish infecting the frogs eventually so I only feed my frogs reptomin/earthworms now which I feel are safer.

The only thing I've 'successfully' kept with my frogs is oddly enough ghost shrimp. If you give the shrimp enough vegetation to hide in the frogs tend to leave them alone. My frogs actually are not very aggressive towards them now, however I need to replace my stock every few months because they do slowly 'disappear' however at 33 cents per ghost shrimp it's not a huge deal (and I think that's expensive for these guys..).

Hope this helps! Again.. GREAT pets. Very interactive frogs, they will come up to the glass to greet you. They have different personalities. They're definitively the most interesting amphibian I've ever kept. The 'feed me' dance they do is quite charming. : )

Some additional info:
-Water Depth isn't a huge deal to these guys. They're really strong swimmers. I keep my water at 12" from substrate to surface of water but I mostly do this to keep them from escaping (which they are prone to do, I know this first hand..). I think young ACF would probably appreciate water not over 12" deep though.

-I don't think they are quite as blind as people make them out to be.. mine see me come up to the tank and take notice. I think their eyes are mostly used to spot predators, which is why they are located on top of their heads. They can see though. They do not rely on their eyes for finding food though. In the wild they hail from murky/muddy waters with little to no visibility. They do locate food mostly with smell and their lateral sensory organs (the little bumps on their body).. seems to me that the ability to track down food differs frog to frog.. some frogs are deadly accurate, others.. not so much. Mine don't seem to find 'bloodworms' that well, but a live earthworm? They're on that like white on rice..

-Another reason that these guys are not fish friendly is that most fish we keep are tropical.. these guys are NOT tropical (xenopus tropicalis is but they're rare to find and they're smaller than xenopus laevis which is the commonly kept ACF). They need cool, temperate water 68-72F. 70F is ideal, this is the temperature I keep my frogs at.

Last edited by Michael M; 10-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Additional Infos!
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

Thank you everyone,
I figured that. I told her that they will eat or get eaten. I guess I can start looking for a new tank location.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
AVN
Wannabe Guru

Checking back in since new information came to light.

Although I agree with you that froggies would love to kill and eat fishies... My ACF doesn't bother any of my fish. It's living with about 40 other assorted Tetras/Danios. Is there something wrong with it?!

Your ACF sounds interesting and fun. I feel ripped off! Mine is slow, blind, and generally not very lively.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Checking back in since new information came to light.

Although I agree with you that froggies would love to kill and eat fishies... My ACF doesn't bother any of my fish. It's living with about 40 other assorted Tetras/Danios. Is there something wrong with it?!

Your ACF sounds interesting and fun. I feel ripped off! Mine is slow, blind, and generally not very lively.
It's hard to say. ACF are all different (on some level). Danios and Tetras are pretty fast fish, maybe they're just too fast for him. I'm surprised he doesn't get lucky now and then though. Live bearers are very slow, they're easier prey for an ACF, in my opinion. With so many fish in the tank it may hide a lot, maybe it feels threatened a bit. Is your ACF young? They get bolder with age, froglets tend to hide more.

I have one ACF who likes to hide a lot, one who is very interactive with me and likes to be hand fed, and another who really enjoys hunting down fish and is very predatory (wild type).

It's actually kind of cool you can keep yours with fish. I've had no luck. My wild type ACF is so crazy and predatory I would find the fish hiding behind the filters and obviously stressed so I moved them to their own tank.

Honestly though I've seen all three go after fish, does your ACF even try? Generally they are most successful at night when fish become inactive and rest at the bottom of the aquarium.

I've never seen my ACF actually catch a fish, I've turned on the lights in the room and seen one in their mouths though!

Last edited by Michael M; 10-09-2012 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: qwerty
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #13
AVN
Wannabe Guru

I've noticed my ACF has a very peculiar temperament now that I've read more posts from ACF owners.

He's definitely a "wild type" judging by his coloration, but I have yet to see him even try for any fish, let alone catch one. I've seen him munching on moss, rearranging substrate looking for loose bloodworms, chasing around fish flakes with great resolve while ignoring live fish less than half his size.

He's active during the day, mostly when it's bright, but when I switch off the lights to entice my dwarf blue crayfish out for feed he bolts into the nearest cave or into a thicket of moss and refuses to come back out.

He's either very eccentric or mentally retarded.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
I've noticed my ACF has a very peculiar temperament now that I've read more posts from ACF owners.

He's definitely a "wild type" judging by his coloration, but I have yet to see him even try for any fish, let alone catch one. I've seen him munching on moss, rearranging substrate looking for loose bloodworms, chasing around fish flakes with great resolve while ignoring live fish less than half his size.

He's active during the day, mostly when it's bright, but when I switch off the lights to entice my dwarf blue crayfish out for feed he bolts into the nearest cave or into a thicket of moss and refuses to come back out.

He's either very eccentric or mentally retarded.
Keeping a crayfish with an ACF is a terrible idea.

Crayfish are highly predatory and get quite large. Your crayfish in all likelihood is causing your ACF terrible stress and is very capable of harming or killing your frog.

These frogs are actually fairly intelligent and believe me he is well aware of when that crayfish comes out.. if he is hiding that is exactly why. Can you blame him?

Please for your frogs sake strongly consider moving him to a safe home..

Last edited by Michael M; 10-09-2012 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: stuff
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Dakota7777
Algae Grower

My big girl went through about $30.00 worth of fish back when I was a beginner aquarist. She is an expensive pet, but she is awesome. Night crawlers that are three times as long as her are just spaghetti and feeder guppies don't last long at all. I have had serious luck with keeping cichlids with them. They can hold their own and are too fast for them. They have been with them for about six months and just keep growing. I imagine I will have to change their tanks up eventually, but for now it's neat to have them together.

Anybody want to put up pics of their ACF? I'll put one up later.