Anyone from Kentucky? - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Kentucky


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #31
Jacca5
Algae Grower
 
Jacca5's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hodgenville ky
Posts: 62
Default

Hello new member nice to see some ky people on here. I am from central ky Hodgenville near elizabethtown.
Jacca5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #32
Elrodg
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Murray KY
Posts: 225
Default

Murray here
__________________
Opportunity is often missed because it's dressed in coveralls and looks like work.
Elrodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
marshmallow_fluff86
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Junction City, KY
Posts: 3
Red face

Hey everyone! Brand new to the site, just wanted to say hi! I'm from the Danville/Boyle County area. Looking forward to learning some more about fish and plants!
marshmallow_fluff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #34
Ljk09
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KY
Posts: 87
Default

I'm in Morganfield. Western KY blah!
Ljk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #35
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
MiSo's Avatar
 
PTrader: (22/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fort Knox, KY
Posts: 921
Default

Fort Knox here. Been out the game for last two years but hoping to pick up where I left off.
__________________
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 AM   #36
shelleyd2008
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kentucky USA
Posts: 4
Default

Well it seems I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm in Adair Co. (south-central) and recently started my freshwater planted tanks
shelleyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #37
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (428/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,368
Default

Welcome to the forum, Shelley!

There aren't many Kentuckians (I'm originally from rural Eastern Kentucky) but you'll occasionally see us rear our heads.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #38
fishtastic
Planted Member
 
fishtastic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 270
Default

Im in Louisville(Middletown), ky. Just moved here from south FL. Where the heck are all the fish stores????
fishtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #39
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (428/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,368
Default

I am trying to stifle my bitter laughter over that question. Unfortunately, nothing of high quality exists in Louisville.

There are some acceptable places where you'll find occasional surprises, however. They are:
  • Greentree Pet Center across the river in IN
  • Sandy's Pets (mostly Cichlids and marine)
  • Pets Palace
  • Noah's Ark (South End)
  • There are also increasingly nice fish finds at various Feeders Supply locations. The one downtown (run by a friend of mine) has occasionally nice Crypts and nano fish - but not all the time. St. Matthews location is decent for quick grabs and the occasional fish. The ones in Indiana are also pretty decent for cheaper items.

Beyond that, it's pretty much a desert.

Even the local tropical fish club is overwhelmingly Cichlid-centric.

Just a handful of folks really into plants and critters that you can't get at PetSmart but it's slowly growing.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #40
infamouz23
Planted Tank Explorer
 
infamouz23's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 108
Default Re: Anyone from Kentucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Welcome to the forum, Shelley!

There aren't many Kentuckians (I'm originally from rural Eastern Kentucky) but you'll occasionally see us rear our heads.
Where in eastern Kentucky?
I'm not from there but have lots of family there (mom is from there) and I spent numerous summers there. Harlan county to be exact.
__________________
infamouz23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #41
shelleyd2008
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kentucky USA
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtastic View Post
Im in Louisville(Middletown), ky. Just moved here from south FL. Where the heck are all the fish stores????
Be happy you have some...my fish store is eBay and Aquabid.com
shelleyd2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #42
fishtastic
Planted Member
 
fishtastic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 270
Default

The most decent ive been to, I believe, is pets palace. Ill check out the south end, and the IN one. I have noticed this area is dominated by salt and cichlids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I am trying to stifle my bitter laughter over that question. Unfortunately, nothing of high quality exists in Louisville.

There are some acceptable places where you'll find occasional surprises, however. They are:
  • Greentree Pet Center across the river in IN
  • Sandy's Pets (mostly Cichlids and marine)
  • Pets Palace
  • Noah's Ark (South End)
  • There are also increasingly nice fish finds at various Feeders Supply locations. The one downtown (run by a friend of mine) has occasionally nice Crypts and nano fish - but not all the time. St. Matthews location is decent for quick grabs and the occasional fish. The ones in Indiana are also pretty decent for cheaper items.

Beyond that, it's pretty much a desert.

Even the local tropical fish club is overwhelmingly Cichlid-centric.

Just a handful of folks really into plants and critters that you can't get at PetSmart but it's slowly growing.
fishtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #43
fishtastic
Planted Member
 
fishtastic's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 270
Default

Oh well, I guess I was spoiled in south fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyd2008 View Post
Be happy you have some...my fish store is eBay and Aquabid.com
fishtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #44
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (428/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,368
Default

You're right, unfortunately. It's been 99.9999% Cichlids and salt until recently.

Luckily, it's cheap to ship everything to Louisville so you can order most of what you need for less than the rest of the country. UPS Worldport helps with that, I think.

I've only used local shops for the occasional plant (sometimes there'll be a cool crypt that's mislabeled and underpriced) and for staples like dechlorinator and driftwood. When it comes to livestock and plants, you can get healthier, more sustainable and more affordable stuff from this forum and various retailers online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtastic View Post
The most decent ive been to, I believe, is pets palace. Ill check out the south end, and the IN one. I have noticed this area is dominated by salt and cichlids.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #45
lizzj
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 168
Default

Hi guys,
I live in Louisville and I am a member of the fish club. I breed bristlenose plecos and angelfish mostly. I also have red cherry and yellow shrimp. This summer I am going to try my hands at getting my CPD's and threadfin rainbows to spawn.

The spring auction is next month at the fish club and it is a chance to pick up some cheap fish, food, and plants. There are alot of cichlid keepers in the club but there are also guppy, killifish, livebearer, rainbow, apisto, etc. breeders/keepers in the club. We have a facebook page if you are interested in joining. It is under Louisville Tropical Fish Fanciers. There is also a yahoo mail group under the same name. Hope that helps you out.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-16-2013 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: No shipping in local sections
lizzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012