NEW: 30gallon tall riparium - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 10-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #46
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

It's pretty difficult to get good pictures in the day time. It sits close to the ground of our "sun room" of my house.This is a daytime picture of the anubias barteri, crypt tropica, brazilian sword, sweet flag, spathiphylum golden glow, and java fern wendelov. The anubias flowered for a couple of days!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	55015

The crypt tropica and the brazilian are sharing a hanging planter. May the best plant win. Also the hypoestes on the far right is no longer in there. I'll take more pics tonight.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #47
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

at around 1:45pm PT, lots of natural sunlight blasts the side of the riparium. I know it's a huge sin to let that happen but it looks darn good with natural sunlight hitting the sand, plants, fish etc. Ignore the reflections of the furniture.

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	55024

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	55023
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #48
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Hey those new plants look good. You should keep the top covered up pretty tight to maintain humidity for the crypts, Anubias and Java fern.

A little sunlight won't hurt anything.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #49
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey those new plants look good. You should keep the top covered up pretty tight to maintain humidity for the crypts, Anubias and Java fern.

A little sunlight won't hurt anything.
Thanks! Ya I keep the lid on but sometimes I leave it cracked when there's company or when I just want to look at the whole thing without the wet glass.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #50
Davelybob
Algae Grower

The spath probably didn't out compete the hypoestes, that's just what hypoestes does. It's a pretty plant that turns ugly pretty quickly. I usually end up buying it because my wife is like "ooh pretty" so I get it for her so she doesn't complain about all the other houseplants I am buying for myself, then quietly toss it out once it's looking like crap and she's not paying attention. I got suckered into picking one up this summer, and when it started looking bad I threw a bunch of cuttings into my newly constructed DIY riparium hangers, and I gotta say that I like it much much better there than I ever did growing in a pot. Still a pain in the butt though.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2
Davelybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #51
Hidden Walrus
Algae Grower

Your tank is looking really neat. I'm trying to do a similar but simpler setup with some plants just growing out of my filters and some vines in the water, and it's coming along well, but my tank is smaller and has little supplementary lighting outside of a nearby window so my options are limited.

Also, for me I find hypoestes does really well outdoors but dies almost instantly inside. I had some that grew a few feet tall this summer and even bloomed in mixed planters with some other flowers in the shade of an apple tree, but toward the end of summer they got a bit leggy and the frost did them in last night. They're good annual flowers, but poor houseplants.
Hidden Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #52
MGap
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to MGap

Look so nice. I love it.
MGap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #53
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Update

More updated cell phone pics:

Name:	IMG_1088.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	56680

^my evil face

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	56681
^slowly winning the war on BGA

Name:	IMG_1090.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	56682

I changed the lighting to an odyssea 20" T5HO fixture. 2 18W bulbs, one 6500K 1 Plant bulb. It's got a more pinkish hue which really brings out the reds in the Dracaena and cherry barbs and intensifies the greens of the Spathiphylums more. I looked at Hoppy's chart for this fixture and calculated how far above the substrate the light is, and it's less than 40, so I'm still low tech.

The crypt tropica in the planter on the far left is losing the fight with the Brazillian Sword. I may have to make a move later this month. There's also some open raft real estate in front of the Dracaena...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #54
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

This is looking great! Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #55
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Looking good!

Just last week I started refurbishing of the 55G high-humidity riparium setup with emersed crypts and other stuff. I hope to post some pictures soon. That C. wendtii 'Tropica' is an especially nice emersed riparium plant.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #56
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Happy New Year everyone!

SO: The big Spathiphylum was removed. It had outgrown the pot, and so I put it in an indoor houseplant pot and it now sits next to the Riparium.

The combo Crypt Tropica & Brazillian sword had a verdict. The Brazillian sword was winning that competition so I split them up, but the sword where the old Spath was and now both can flourish in their own individual hanging planters.

All the other plants show good growth and improvement.

Name:	IMG_1187.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	67826

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	67834

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	67842

BAD NEWS: Yesterday I found ALL of the Cherry Barbs & otos dead. The water had dropped to 55 degrees. That was at 1:45pm I have to believe it got down colder than that in the morning or night before. My dad and I are devastated.We will now keep 2 heaters in the tank from now on during the cold months. Losing that many fish at once is never fun.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #57
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry for the lack of updates. My final semester of college took all of my forum posting time as well as obtaining a girlfriend

So last post I did, I lost all the fish except the gold barbs. I've added back 5 cherry barbs (3 F, 2 M). I plopped in a ghost shrimp for the hell of it. That little guy is thriving.

Anyways, here are two pics:

I rearranged the top planters. The Crypt. Lagenandra thwaitesii hasn't grown much in the 1 year I've had it, but I'm not giving up on it. It's on the far left now. The Dracaena got too big so I chopped it and it's starting to sprout back.
Before I had the Brazilian Sword & Crypt. Tropica sharing a pot, they are now in their own hanging pots both thriving in their own homes. The sweet flag is the best-looking plant in my whole house inside and out. The Spathiphylum Golden Glow was replanted and divided, and that is it on the right.

My Java Fern Wendilov raft exploded with growth in the 9 months I had it. I trimmed it a bit in march but it's still flourishing. My anubias on the raft are starting to outgrow it, but it's flowering. Finally, I have another regular java fern raft for the hell of it.

I actually did a deep cleaning last week. I took out the wood & planters to scrub the glass and vacuum the bottom. During that time I thinned out some of the val nana that took off and clumped it all in the corner. What you're looking at is version 1.5 of my 30g tall riparium

Fish looking good. I'm going to put a long airstone in the back right corner because I need more surface agitation. Part of my lack of updates is that I can't take great pictures of it during the day. Perhaps later if I remember I will. Any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 08-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #58
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update time!

Summer has been good. A lot of good growth in everything. I've replenished the cherry barb population and added 2 more gold metallic barbs. I did add 2 more ottos, but they died. I need to do a better job of acclimating them.

Here are some pics:

Both the Dracaena and crypts are starting to emerge. I'm excited!

I'm still fighting BGA. I don't mind though it's probably my preferred algae to fight against lol.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #59
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Have you considered some anthuriums? Cyperus?

How is your tank orientated in relation to window/sunlight direction?

Is your window southeast facing?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #60
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Have you considered some anthuriums? Cyperus?

How is your tank orientated in relation to window/sunlight direction?

Is your window southeast facing?
The window is southwest facing.

I don't really like anthuriums. They're just too plastic-looking to me. I like cyperus, but I need a bigger tank lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.