Hex Waterfall
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hex Waterfall

So I found a great deal at a thrift store on a 30 gallon, hexagon tank and decided to build a new vivarium using some methods I have never used before. Unfortunately I did not take many pictures of the initial build, but have some as the job progressed. I was thinking I might get a new pair of tree frogs for the tank when it was finished. It turned out to be one of the most labor-intensive beta tank ever! Here’s the quick build……

Tank specs:
30 gallon hexagon
50 watt heater
mini fluval water pump, which runs both streams of the waterfall
15 watt plant glo light bulb in stock fixture

Water temp: 68 F
Slight tannin stain in water
4 mm gravel substrate
Soil portion: coco husk, organic potting soil, shredded banana leaves, 5 earthworms
Aquatic plants: anubias lancelota, anubias nana
Terrestrial plants: rabbitsfoot fern, ivy, palm fern, and various local mosses

The main terrestrial feature is the waterfall made from egg crate material and Great Stuff spray foam. This is an excellent method used by many in the other herp forums. Worked great and I was able to get the basic structure built so that I could access the inside of the waterfall for any maintenance issues that may arise. I also planned ahead fro some small planters to be housed within the waterfall as well. Once the spray foam dried (24 hrs) I carved the waterfall to look like rocks and left a nice deep channel for the water to cascade downward. I cut slots out and laboriously foamed in a few real slate rocks for the water to run off as it traveled down the waterfall. Since the tank was to be seen from only one basic angle, I decided to cover the side walls with a faux rock background as well. I sprayed the walls with the GS and then carved them as well.

Last edited by Learner; 11-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: room
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

When the rocks looked right, I made a mixture of concrete and colored it with concrete dye. The charcoal worked well and I painted 3 layers of quikcrete onto the waterfall and rock walls. After they all dried, I used acrylic paint to add highlights and tint the rocks the exact color I wanted. I had never used the concrete method before and it worked well. The rocks were very real looking.

Then I built an egg crate stand that would keep the waterfall and planted area above the waterline. The waterfall rested nicely on this stand and then I spray foamed the two pieces together in the tank. I carved the foam once again and then put concrete on to lock the two pieces together forever.

I covered the egg crate with window screen below the waterline and then spread a layer of silicone onto the screen. It took some tender loving care, but I was able to press rocks into the silicone and it held really quite nicely.

Last edited by Learner; 11-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: room
Old 10-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

The finishing touches were also new to me so I tried several methods for bringing in some coco fiber, moss, and bark materials to the jungle waterfall theme. I used silicone around the waterline and lightly pressed moss into it. It worked only moderately well. I also tried the gorilla glue method which held up very nicely for moss and bark. Hands down the best method for using coco bark was the titebond III method. Mixing the titebond and the bark made a great paste for the walls and on rocks to give them that realistic look. The glue dried clear and hard as a “rock”. Held up for almost a year now.

Last edited by Learner; 11-23-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: room
Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

The tank has gone thru a few face-lifts but since I didn’t have the right fauna for it, I just left it as a rain chamber in my classroom. I can close the tank down tight after school and then put a few of those cold packs on the glass top in the morning and it will make clouds, and then rain like the dickens in there for about an hour! Two weeks ago, a student brought in a beautiful male beta that needed a home. So here is the tank today. I think it needs some work and a new face lift…any suggestions??

As always, thanks for all the help and advice…….Best Fishes

Last edited by Learner; 11-23-2013 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: room
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Beautiful.
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (402/100%)

Terrific!

The only thing this needs is more plants and maybe a better substrate. Plants should be the priority. There are so many aquatic and non-aquatic species that would look amazing.

Short of those two things? Really, what a terrific tank for a classroom.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

WOW, that turned out real nice. Great job!

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Love this set-up, good skills!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
ony
Planted Member

It looks fantastic the way it is but why not flood the whole thing? My betta spends all day hunting snails and micro fauna, shimmying through the plants etc so he's really interesting to watch. I think you are missing out by not giving yours the space to explore and stretch his fins.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks everyone, i really appreciate it. I dont know that I want to flood it just yet. I have a fair amount of soil in the tank and dont want the mess. I lost a bunch of plants and need to replant for sure. I love the jungle look.

What about some emergent growth like a riparium plant or two. Does anyone know of a small leafed plant that would work here? Hydrophyte would know I'm sure.................

Heres a major problem (i thkn). I have no filtration in the tank and have to do major water changes every week. I dont have much room to work with in the beta section, plus my fear would be that it would blow him outta there. I can get a filter back behind the falls but it doesnt seem to do much since the water is kind of separated. any sugesstions???
Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Yeah, talk to Devin! He would be able to give you some great advice for riparium selection.

Looks pretty cool, Learner! Wish I could help you with your fish selection! Not sure if you need any fish in there at all! What about some dart frogs instead?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #12
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Yeah, talk to Devin! He would be able to give you some great advice for riparium selection.

Looks pretty cool, Learner! Wish I could help you with your fish selection! Not sure if you need any fish in there at all! What about some dart frogs instead?
I havent done dart frogs in years and would love to get back into em........... unfortunately they're pretty tough to come by up here and my fishing business sometimes keeps me out for multiple days at a time.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
akdylpickles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Where in Alaska are you located? Nice tank BTW
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdylpickles View Post
Where in Alaska are you located? Nice tank BTW
kenai peninsula.....how bout you? There aren't too many of us around this neck of the woods!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #15
akdylpickles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Anchorage, it's always nice to see another TPT Alaskan pop up! There's only a couple active people on this forum or any forum that I know of. Spread the word to join! We might try to set up some type of plant swap site if there's enough people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.