5 dead cardinals the morning after purchase
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

5 dead cardinals the morning after purchase

So I added 18 cardinals yesterday afternoon to the 4 I bought a week ago and then when I woke up this morning, there were 5 dead ones! This scares me a lot because they looked fine yesterday. I added them to my discus tank so I was worried my discus might catch this killer. The discus are afraid of the cardinals so it wasn't them that committed the massacre. They were purchased from petsmart (not sure if that might be why) after being shipped there as well the same day of purchase. So should I get rid of all of the cardinals for fear of passed infection to my kings of the aquarium, get rid of a few that seem to have white on their face or torn fins (i thought this might be from abusive shipping), or keep the survivors?

Answers much appreciated as I've never kept cardinals before.
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd take them out now and set up a QT for them.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
I'd take them out now and set up a QT for them.
Pulling them now is not a bad idea but it's also like the old adage about closing the barn door after. Whatever is on/in those fish is now in your tank.

CC you have setup an awesome display tank (imo).
Suggest you read this as time allows.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=138137
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Always qt! especially with expensive fish in the main tank, hopefully they were just stressed beyond belief and didn't have any disease!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Adding chain LFS fish directly to an established tank with expensive fish is an astoundingly poor choice.

LFS's generally share water between a large number of tanks, so any a single diseased fish could easily contaminate many many others. Big chain LFS's tend to have more unhealthy fish, on average, than a mom n pop LFS.

My death rate over a couple weeks, when buying from one of the big chain LFS's, is between 1/3 and 1/2 of purchased fish. The first time I bought fish from one of them, added them directly to an established tank, and lost not just all of them, but 80% of the previous tank occupants, was when I purchased a 10g tank for quarantine purposes.

Quarantine all the cardinals ASAP. Not sure how much it will help your current troubles, but keeping a QT tank for all new purchases will save you many headaches (and money) down the line.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Adding chain LFS fish directly to an established tank with expensive fish is an astoundingly poor choice.
I couldn't agree more.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbeauch View Post
Answers much appreciated as I've never kept cardinals before.
I honestly believe the OP gets it on our feelings regarding quarantine

wishing you good luck with your fish going forward
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Hey there, I specialize in Tetras and other small schooling species.

First of all I'd like to admonish you for not qurantining them for at least a couple days to a week before introducing them to your main system. What, you want all your fish to catch Ich or other microbial diseases?

Now I have over 40 Cardinals in my 200g schooling/planted tank and I've never experienced mass deaths like that, no matter what I did to them/introduced into the water.

You should really post water parameters if you want specific help... But from what I can gauge, unexpected deaths when introducing new stock usually comes from stress. Did you acclimate them properly? Are they being harassed by other residents? How were they acting before you got them from the store?

Any information is helpful in determining what went wrong.

Last edited by AVN; 10-06-2012 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Additonal Information Added
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

Default bad choices

My tank water is 1ppm amonia, 0ppm nitrate, 0ppm nitrite, 120ppm alkalinity, 120ppm hardness, 7.6 pH. I think the wood or natural dirt might be the culprate for the high pH. The lady at Petsmart had the same numbers I have and said she had never seen a more perfect tank quality but that the pH might have been high. Not sure if she knows anything truely beyond netting and bagging them. My discus were actually kinda afraid of the Cardinals and hid while they were tank mates. I am now down to 7 total Cardinals from the starting 22 I added. I returned 6 live ones, found 7 dead, and 2 are MIA. The remaining ones look very healthy and I do have a 20gallon tank in the bottom of mine that I could use for a Quar. tank but I wasn't sure if that had to be established and didn't want to kill them that way. I let them sit in their baggy for 20 minutes while the water warmed up to my 84 degree mark.

Should I still take the other 7 out and Quar. them or is it just too late and I should leave them in anyway at this point. Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

btw, thanks for all the advice and help. ohh and the two plecos don't care one way or the other about the Cardinals and same for them.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #11
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbeauch View Post
btw, thanks for all the advice and help. ohh and the two plecos don't care one way or the other about the Cardinals and same for them.
In my experience, bottom feeders tend to have more impressive immune systems than column fish.

Cycling the new quarantine tank isn't absolutely necessary, but you'll have to watch ammonia and start doing daily water changes after the first couple days. You can also take some of your filter media and either throw it into a new tank to jumpstart cycling, ideally inside a filter. You can use the 20g, or buy a 10g for $20 or so at your PetSmart. Hopefully you have a spare filter? If not, a cheapie will work fine.

At this point, not sure using a quarantine tank will do any good. You might want to wait it out and hope for the best.

I have a 10g that sits on my kitchen counter for QT. No stand necessary, and I keep disposable plants (some moss and ferns) in it, as well as a few BA tetras, which aren't terribly plant friendly. It's got the stock hood, with mini CFL's replacing the incandescents that came with it, and a couple small filters. Anyway, I keep a few things in the tank to give it some charm (heh), and I'm not going to cry over anything I normally keep in there. All new fish go into it for a month, unless there's a death, and then the month cycle restarts. It's probably a total $50 investment. That's one easy route you could go.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

okay thanks. I already have a 20 long under my tank built into the stand from the guy I got it all from. He had a marine tank and that was his filter. Seeing as how he glued the stand together I just left it in there. Didn't want to smash the tank apart to get it out. I kinda thought one day I'd have a use for it. I already have a filter and heater so the tank just needs some water, clown puke, and cycling for the next time I decide to get some fish. I think because 4 have been in my main tank for 9 days and the survivng 3 for 2 days as well that it is a lost cause this time and hoping for the best is my only option. I was thinking about returning the living 7 but they all look so healthy that I think they can stay.

What do you all think about that?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

If you have an ammonia reading in your tank then that's probably part of the problem. A cycled tank should have 0 ammonia reading and I can't believe the Petsmart employee said the tank was perfect.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #14
jake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

When I first tried cardinals, I had them drop like flies. I got them right off the truck, special order at the lfs. I talked to an old-timer hobbyist who told me to feed them baby brine shrimp, preferably live, but frozen would do.

I tried them again, same lfs, feeding frozen bbs starting the second day, and had no losses.

That was just my experience.

Sent from my nerd device.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
shrimpedout
Planted Member

Why do you still have ammonia in your tank, especially with expensive fish like Discus?

---
Get shrimped out!
shrimpedout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.